EventGhost Systray icon color

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
reaper

EventGhost Systray icon color

Post by reaper » Fri May 22, 2020 5:18 am

Hello,

after some time the EventGhost Systray icon color changes from green to red or yellow although I don't see any error in the log and EventGhost works without issues. E. g.
Red.png
Red.png (881 Bytes) Viewed 794 times
Does someone know the reason?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: EventGhost Systray icon color

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:18 am

green = idle
red = error
yellow = working

There can be errors happening but they are not deemed to be bad enough to display in the general log. They will typically show up in the debug log if you turn that on. It can be done from the "View" drop down in the menu bar. if running EG 0.5 of running EG 0.4 you will have to run EG from the command line with the "-debug" parameter. the log file is stashed in "%appdata%/EventGhost" The debug log file can get pretty large. so if you are pressed for space keep this in mind. You can only delete the file if EG has been closed.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

reaper

Post by reaper » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:32 am

OK, thanks for this valuable information!
It should be added to the EventGhost documentation.

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:28 pm

Hello,

since we're talking about EG icon behavior, would it be possible to add the name of the config file being used as a tool tip when hovering the icon, this is useful when you have multiple EG instances running at the same time, I have to open them one by one until I get to the one I'm interested in :) hovering each icon would be much user friendly.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:04 pm

@snowbird

I can add this feature fairly easily. But I raise questions as to why multiple copies of EventGhost are running. While you can do this it really only has a specific reason for allowing it. and that is to copy information from one tree to another. EG is not written in a manner that makes it "safe" to run multiple copies. A user can very easily end up with what I call battling EventGhosts. You can also end up with problems due to the Windows notification system on top of that. The end result is that multiple copies of EventGhost should not be run at the same time for any purpose other then copying information from one configuration to another.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:54 am

well, it has been 3 or 4 years that I run 3 instances at the same time, each one doing specific things, the reason is simple, I like to split some specific action apart from the main EG tree, if anything happens in the main EG tree (freeze, errors, or anything bad) I know that the other trees won't be impacted and still going to work. I've never had any problems while running multiple instances, it really works well.