IR automation on roku ultra

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
lalocortez

IR automation on roku ultra

Post by lalocortez » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:01 pm

Hello:

I am new here, hope to learn fast.
I was wondering if I can automate an IR signal for my Roku ultra, what I need to do is to send an OK signal every 3 hours, some apps have a 4 hours inactivity timeout and I am looking for a solution to this.

Somebody told me to use girder but the page says they are out of business.

I need to know what hardware and how to implement it with Eventghost, I am willing to pay for somebody to teach me.

Best regards

Medy
Experienced User

Re: IR automation on roku ultra

Post by Medy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:44 pm

Im no expert at this. But what comes to mind is using a broadlink mini + ihc app + ifttt.

with the ihc app you can connect to ifttt.
And with ifttt you can set schedules for sending signals ...

the broadlink mini is relativly cheap around 20 bucks ...

I recon there might be some evenghost + ir sticks or smth that could do this as well ... but idk about that.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:56 pm

easiest way to go about it is to pick up an MCE ir receiver that has blasting capabilities..

I prefer the one made by pinnacle but they are no longer made and might be hard to come by.. they are pretty inexpensive maybe 30.00 USD i believe. You might be able to locate one used on ebay.

I just went and checked you can get it..

https://www.amazon.com/d/Computer-Memor ... B000WR2E00

it's 25.00 USD shipped

here is the manual for it

http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf ... nstall.pdf

It does include a single blaster eye but it has the ability to have a second one plugged in.

whatever receiver you decide to purchase make sure it specifically states Microsoft Windows Media Center Vista or newer.. or "eHome" on the packaging..

I also just typed up a blurb about the quality of these things.. the more you spend typically the better the build quality and the better it is going to work if you want to use it to receive IR signals from other remotes.

With this kind of a setup you will be able to use any ir remote you want even if it is not a learning remote to control your roku, The other nice thing is if you have the original roku remote control you will be able to learn the IR codes right into your computer.

I am currently in the process of giving the MCE Remote Vista+ plugin a facelift. the current version does function. It was written when there was not a whole hell of a lot of information available and also when PC's were alot slowed and had less ram. so it was designed with that in mind.. there is more information now available (not a whole lot more) and the PC's are much better now also.. So the plugin needs to be improved. It is going to be more accurate and more responsive when I am done..

Everything should work just fine with the current software in place.

Also shoot me the model number of your roku.. I want to see if there is a network API available for the thing. this may be the better way to go without the need to buy anything additional.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:45 pm

OK so i went ahead and did some research.,.

attached is a Roku plugin that should do the trick for you without needing any kind of IR setup...

I am not able to test the thing because I do not own a Roku.. but if you have an issue let me know. please paste the entire error you are getting..

Some of the actions return information and are more suited to be used in a script. you can check for that if you add the Dump result to log action after the roku action..

You need to be running the lastes release candidate of EG for this plugin. it can be gotten from https://github.com/EventGhost/EventGhos ... v0.5.0-rc6

*** EDIT

I forgot to mention.. It should automatically detect any rokus on your network. the plugin is able to handle communications with more then one of them. you need to make sure the name you have set for each roku is unique.. this is done in some kind of a setup page for the roku I would imagine.
Attachments
Roku-0.0.1b.egplugin
(10.78 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image