Changing a USB Input Device's Actions

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
BuzzUKO

Changing a USB Input Device's Actions

Post by BuzzUKO » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi,

I have a Logitech R400 Presentation remote, connected by USB.
In the device manager, it shows just as "USB input device" and when I press the buttons on the remote, it just acts as a keyboard.
For example, one press of the right arrow on the remote will register as page down, the other will register as page up.
Is it possible to catch the signals from the remote and change them to perform tasks I want it too?

Thanks!

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Changing a USB Input Device's Actions

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:39 pm

it sure is possible. You want to install the keyboard plugin. this will capture keystrokes from the remote. My suggestion is going to be to get an IR receiver that supports the ehome drivers (Windows Vista Media Center Edition) only because of issues when dealing with keyboard capture and overlapping keys between the remote and the keyboard. there is no way to tell where the keys are coming from unless a kernel mode driver is made and that is a difficult/expensive thing to make. The driver also needs to be signed by Microsoft. I am almost 100% sure Microsoft would not be willing to sign a driver that captures keyboard input on a low level and then passes that information to an application. so it could be a bumpy road getting past some possible issues with the remote.. But start out with installing the keyboard plugin. it comes bundled with EventGhost
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image