Event on turning on the display?

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
Jabberwock

Event on turning on the display?

Post by Jabberwock » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:27 pm

I would like to use a macro that would trigger on the monitor getting active again (after it is powered off by the system). Is that possible?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Event on turning on the display?

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:06 pm

Ummm yes and no..

LOL

it depends on your operating system. If you are using Windows 10 then probably not. in Windows 8 Microsoft broke that feature and has not bothered to fix it in over a decade. So it is still broken. You can try using the Move Mouse Relative and have it move like 3 or 4 pixels.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:12 pm

I do not want to turn the monitor on, I want to detect that it has been turned on after sleep or powering off (I never know which is which).

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:24 pm

Oh.. ok..

you can use the "System.Monitor.On" and "System.Monitor.Off" events to track the state of the monitor.

There is one hitch to using either of those events for anything. in the macro that you have the events place you will only have a single action. and that action is the TriggerEvent action. have it trigger a secondary event and use that event to do what ever it is you want. this way the Windows Notification System gets released .

example:

Code: Select all

Macro 1:
    Event: System.Monitor.On
    Action: TriggerEvent  "Monitor.Has.Turned.On"
 Macro 2:
     Event: Monitor.Has.Turned.On
     put the actions that you want to run when the monitor turns on here.

Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:36 pm

Hmm... Do I have to activate the event somehow? The only system events I get are System.Idle and System.UnIdle...

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:42 am

Go into your power options and set the time to when the display gets turned off to 1. then wait a minute and let the monitor power down.. then wait another minute and move the mouse. the monitor should power back up. then check for events.

Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:29 am

That is what I have started with, but I have checked it again now to be sure and the event does not register. I am still on Windows 7, if that matters.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:06 am

what version of EG are you running?

I also want to be very specific here. your monitor will power off if a computer enters into a low power state. if this is what is happening then EG may not see an event. You want to have the monitor power down a minute before the power state changes.

Also.. You need to have the monitor connected to the PC via a DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort cable. I do not believe that events will take place if using a VGA cable. VGA cables do not have 2 way communications. and in order o get that event the PC has to be told by the monitor that it has shut off.

Your monitor also has to have the ability to report it's power state. Windows has 2 ways of shutting down a monitor. It will directly tell it to power off. Or it will cut the video output nd the monitor will eventually power down. and it will then power back up when the video signal is restored. this is not the same thing as the first way. it may appear to be the same but it is not.

Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:39 am

Well, I was running an old version, it turns out (I have EG running on three computers, so it is a bit hard to keep track of this). Now it works perfectly.

Thank you very much for your patience and help!

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:11 pm

you updated EG and now it is working? was that the solution?

Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:14 pm

Yes, after the update the event shows up in the log. It works very well now. Thanks again!

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:24 pm

Fantastic.. Sometimes the hardest problems have the easiest solutions. LOL.. always have to start from the beginning and ask what has and has not been tried.

Glad to know it was something as simple as updating EG.

This is some information for you as well as anyone else that may read this post.

If you are using Windows 10 you should be running EventGhost 0.5. With Windows 10 cam all kinds of issues when using EG. some of the issues cause phantom like problems that appear to have no point of origin. EG 0.5 fixes these issues.

Microsoft is releasing new builds of Windows at a rate of about 1 every six months. and with each new build comes new problems. They seem to be changing things about quite a bit and this makes it difficult to be able to support all builds in a single release of EG. It is always recommended to be running the latest build of Windows 10 along with the latest version of EG. if there is a known issue that has not been solved yet with the latest build of Windows we will recommend that you run a previous build of Windows until the issue is solved. You will see a post either in the "EventGhost News" topic or the "Beta Bug Reports" topic informing the users of a problem and what needs to be done to provide an immediate solution,