HUSBZB-1 and Zigbee

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
007craft

HUSBZB-1 and Zigbee

Post by 007craft » Tue May 28, 2019 9:46 pm

Is there a Zigbee plugin for eventghost?

I'm using a Aeotec Z-Stick (Zwave) and a philips hue hub (Zigbee LL) with their respective event ghost plugins just fine, but im interested in buying some of the samsung smart things devices (They tend to be more available and cheaper than others, at least here in Canada). These things use Zigbee HA. The HUSBZB-1 is a relatively cheap Zigbee (LL,HA & SE) AND Zwave controller. The Z wave plugin should work already with it, but what about Zigbee?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: HUSBZB-1 and Zigbee

Post by kgschlosser » Wed May 29, 2019 2:45 am

Zigbee and ZWave are 2 different protocol specifications. and also use different frequencies. so when you have a device that has both, when you plug it in it shows up on your computer as 2 different devices. I have wanted to add zigbee support to EventGhost I do not own any zigbee devices nor do I have a zigbee controller of any kind. To write software that will work with either of those protocols is very hard. because of the sheer number of devices they support. I have to have the ability to test locally and not have users do it for me. It is way to much work to have to try and do the back and forth thing.

It can be done. I has not been done YET. I have not done any looking to see if anyone has written a python library for Zigbee. It would be worth looking into. I am willing to bet the answer is yes there is a library, and I am sure it is going to be python 3 and not python 2 compatible.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed May 29, 2019 2:46 am

I just checked. it is available for python 2. so that cuts down a massive amount of the work.

One thing. it has to be an xbee controller. it appears to be the form of communications over the serial port.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed May 29, 2019 4:43 am

OK so I did some looking into this. and now I remembered why zigbee sucks.

Zigbee is a specification for a protocol that is transmitted over a wireless connection. It is not a specification of the actual connection it's self or how that hardware component is supposed to communicate to other hardware components. the latter being the biggest problem.

This is what it boils down to. there is no specification for how a "stick" should communicate with a PC. so say you have 30 different manufacturers. all 30 of them have their own API for the information sent over the serial connection. so if i wanted to be able to support all 30 of the sticks I would have to write 30 different communications stacks. BLAH! Even if all 30 manufacturers use exactly the same ZigBee chip they can all still have different serial communications. I mentioned xbee above. that is a hardware specification. After spending quite a bit of time sorting though the mess of a website the zigbee alliance has I discovered that there is not a single USB stick that is zigbee certified. other then some smartthings range extender thing. Not a single one. There are lots of hubs but no sticks. The reason for this is because there is no standard for the serial communications and software developers do not want the headache of dealing with writing software to support more then a single one (the one they have built into a hub internally). If you look at other home automation software like homeseer you will see that they have very specific sticks that are supported.

with ZWave if i write a communication stack that works with the sillabs ZWave chip. it will work on just about every zwave usb stick made with that chip. and since I think that sillabs is the only manufacturer really being used I do not have much of a concern.

the downside of the stick you posted is there is no documentation on what that serial communications is. so how is anyone supposed to know how to write software to work with it?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed May 29, 2019 4:57 am

and I am going to add some more information i found about your specific device.

There is a python library for it.

007craft

Post by 007craft » Fri May 31, 2019 6:09 pm

Thanks. I dont actually own a HUSBZB-1 but from my googling around it seems this is wildly used controller for starting a Zigbee network. And yes from what Ive read it will show up as 2 deperate serial devices with thier own com ports (1 for zwave and 1 for zigbee). People say it is compatible with most zigbee devices out there but of course not everything, as you mentioned because there is no standard. I was going to buy one hoever if there was an EG plugin for it, as the hue plugin has been fantastic for my use. Too bad the hue bridge just doesnt support more devices (Hue bridge also only does Zigbee LL, so it never will unless they release a new version 3 hub for people to buy)

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:32 am

upon looking further into this. the libraries that work with that device are only for python 3. at some point in the not to far away future we will upgrade EG to python 3. it is just a major overhaul to do it. and we have been dreading it for a while now. any new code is being written so it will work with python 2 or python 3 but the problem is all of the old code.