Eventghost does no longer start (after Windows update)

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Eventghost does no longer start (after Windows update)

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:32 pm

@piert

if you end up with plugin problems please let me know. send me a PM and i will help to get all plugins you are having an issue with straightened out.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:57 pm

I need a favor tho. in order to do this you will need to be running Windows build 1806

open the file File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Cli.py"

on line 28 you will find this code

Code: Select all

locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')
replace that line with the following code. and let me know if the problem persists.

Code: Select all

try:
    locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')
except locale.Error:
    locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, None)

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:55 am

Thanks for the offer to help me out with plugin upgrades, Kevin!

As for your question, I am not running version 1806. At the moment everything is running fine again after having downgraded my Win 10 Pro back from version 1809 to 1803, and I would rather not try anything new if not needed. I am sure that I will need to upgrade Eventghost at some point in the future, but I would prefer to postpone it until I have more time and preferably with a proper solution for rolling back in case problems arise, maybe by creating an Image of my system or using a Sandbox solution.
Regarding the latter, I understand that the upcoming Microsoft Win 10 Pro update that is planned for April will have a Sandbox feature built-in. Do you know if uninstalling my old Eventghost version and upgrading to a newer Eventghost version can be done inside a Sandbox for testing purposes like that?

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:21 pm

KG, I can try out those changes if need be. Piert, i'm still going to look into blocking updates for you, and I have done this in the past but I'm not sure what has changed since version 1511. I set my ethernet connection to metered via a registry hack, configured windows to not download updates over a metered connection, and disabled the windows update service. I dont know if you can still do that on newer versions. A good source of information for really tweaking windows and blocking updates would be the mydigitalife forums. That is where I found my information.

Aside from all of that I believe it would be a very good idea for you to start documenting your changes and tweaks thoroughly. You are going to have to deal with some update at least every 30 or so months as it stands now. If you don't want that then look into a long term support branch of windows 10. You can find ISOs on those forums I mentioned, and they come with a 10 year support cycle. This is probably the best bet when you need a lot of stability and you might not have to ever activate windows but if you did you can always find someone willing to sell you a key for cheap. I'm really curious about the sandbox feature and some of the Windows subsystem for Linux changes coming to these builds.

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:42 pm

Thank you both for being so helpful; it is really appreciated!

Kind regards,
Perry

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:09 am

This is the single biggest reason I am still on Windows 7. What right does a company have to alter the data on your computer without your express permission. If Windows update gets turned off. Then it should not update but that is not the case.

The easiest solution for stoping updates for any software is to intercept it. Now how do we go about doing that??.. very easily. Intercept the DNS query for the update server and hand back an IP address that does not exist.

So you set up a DNS server. There is a lot of free DNS server software out there. You will have to set the server up as a proxy server or a caching server. So the server will go and get the addresses it has not cached.

You start the update. And then cancel it. Take. Look and see what it has cached. Once you know the hostname domain of the update server. You then make a fixed record on the server for that host and domain. Point it to an IP that does not exist.

😁

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:09 pm

OK so I did some reading on the Windows Sandbox. It is currently only available for the folks that are signed up to fast track, this is the beta testers for windows.

Sandbox is only going to be available for the Professional, Enterprise, and Education editions of Windows 10.

In a nutshell what it does is it leverages Hyper-V in Windows 10 to create a virtual environment. it is able to create thee VM pretty quickly because it uses a snapshot of your current system. There are many things that are disabled Like you can only copy file into the Sandbox and not out of. drag and drp does not work. there is no recycle bin. when the sandbox gets closed any files created either from copying into or from say installing a program will get permanently deleted.

Because the Sandbox is a Windows 10 Virtual Machine there are no requirements compatibility wise other then it has to be able to run on Windows.

The sandbox is a VM that is created from a snapshot. You can do exactly the same thing using power shell. All the sandbox program does is it runs powershell scripts instead of you doing it yourself. There is nothing mystical or magical about it. It is not something "new" the ability to do this has been around as long as Hyper-V has been.. so what?!? 15 years or 20 years?? With the advent of the SSD it makes it super fast to create the snapshot and build the VM.

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:57 pm

Thanks for looking into it, Kevin.
Do you know if uninstalling my old Eventghost version and upgrading to a newer Eventghost version can be done inside a Sandbox for testing purposes like that?
What do you think would be the answer to that question after your investigation?

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:54 pm

I would bet someone on the MDL forums can get windows sandbox into consumer editions of windows 10. At one point I had Hyper-V installed on my Windows Home Server 2011 box. I think its a lot like what KG described where they just find the right cabinet files and extract them. I remember editing the security policy of my kernel or something similar to get it to work but I'm not sure if that would apply here. They add things like WSL, Windows store, Windows media center, etc. to windows server all of the time. It would probably be easier to just use a VM or powershell if your familiar with it unless you use the feature all of the time.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:58 pm

Hyper-V has been built into windows since version 8.It's called Remote Desktop.. LOL, In Windows 7 Remote Desktop is Terminal Services.

No need to do any hacking to get it to work. all you need to do is learn how to make a snapshot of the current OS. and then how to build a VM from it. as I said.. power shell script. Nothing special.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:17 pm

piert wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:57 pm
What do you think would be the answer to that question after your investigation?
Let me hit you with a little bit of an EG education..
EG is portable. oncee it is installed you can make a copy of the EventGhost directory ni Program Files (x86) slap it onto a flash drive. carry it over to another PC plug it in and run Eventghost It will run.

so This is what you do.

make a copy of of your current EG installation.
then also copy these 2 directories.
%appdata%\EventGhost
and
%programdata%\EventGhost

make a copy of your save file.

Then install EG 0.5.. do not worry about the current installation. you have a copy of it. if you want to run the older version of EG that you backed up. we are going to make this really easy.. in the backed up location open the "eg" folder. edit the Core.py file. near the top you should see

APP_NAME = "EventGhost"

change that to read

APP_NAME = "EventGhost-0.4"

save the file and then run the backup copy..

this is going to create a folder %appdata%\EventGhost-0.4 and %programdata%\EveentGhost-0.4

move you backed up information into those 2 folders. when you launch the old version of EG again it is going to load your config tree. it is going to load the wrong one. so open a new tree locate thee copy you backed up and open that one. then save and close EG. now when you reopen it. it will always load all of the backed up data.. so you can have 2 installations of EG at the same time. Do not run them at the same time. But you will be able to flip back and forth between them while you make sure everything runs fine in EG 0.5

There are a lot of issues with EG 0.4 and Windows 10 I am going to really recommend that you change to EG 0.5 because we have fixed most of the issues.

as a side note.. the setlocale error you were having after upgrading Windows, I have a solution for that problem. the one i posted earlier is confirmed working. so if you read the traceback (error) it tells you the file and the line number of what you need to change to that code i posted. this will work if you change that in EG 0.4 or EG 0.5