Eventghost does no longer start (after Windows update)

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
piert
Experienced User

Eventghost does no longer start (after Windows update)

Post by piert » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:48 pm

I noticed my Win 10 Pro had updated by itself again a few days ago and now Eventghost (I am stil on 0.4.1.r1722) is no longer able to start-up at all.
When I try to run the program I get an error message saying "Errors occured in Eventghost" and an offer to view the log file 'Log.txt' in the AppData Roaming folder.
If I agree, it opens the logfile withthe following:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "EventGhost.pyw", line 51, in <module>
    import eg
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\__init__.py", line 28, in <module>
    import Cli
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Cli.py", line 28, in <module>
    locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')
  File "locale.pyc", line 513, in setlocale
locale.Error: unsupported locale setting 
Anybody have a clue what I can do to get Eventghost started up?

jachin99
Experienced User

Re: Eventghost does no longer start (after Windows update)

Post by jachin99 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:37 pm

Backup your configuration and install V5 RC6. There are changes in newer versions specifically for win 10

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:20 pm

I have been dreading this day would come when I have to make the switch.
I have so much legacy stuff and modifications to ancient plugins that I am sure it is going to be a very rough transition.

You say 'back up configuration'. Are there several/different areas to backup? Can you provide a few hints as to what I need to think of in order not to face doom in case nothing works anymore?

Thank you so much!

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:13 pm

When I say configuration, I mean your event ghost tree. If your not sure exactly where you have put it then open eventghost and select save as, and save it to your desktop. If you have modified plugins then I would also put a copy of your plugins folder on your desktop. You might be able to use all of your modified plugins in newer versions but without telling me exactly what modifications you have made I can't help much there at the moment. You could also try to repair you installation of eventghost but I wouldn't do that either until you have backed everything up. Save your tree to your desktop, backup EG's program files folder, and folders eventghost has in program data and c:\users\YOURUSERNAME\appdata\Roaming, Local, and local low. What are your modifications?

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:40 pm

What are your modifications?
That is difficult to say/recall exactly. It concerns several of Pako's and Walter Krimbraws plugins and they have been kind enough to make some improvements or modifications in the past which I am not sure got ever integrated into later Eventghost versions. I vaguely remember an occasion where particular files had to be added to particular folders outside of Eventghost.

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:43 pm

I just know that I am going to probably forget something and then will not be able to go back to a working state to investigate.....

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:06 pm

That's why you should copy all of those folders. At least that way you can have some record of your changes

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:13 pm

Thanks for now. I will mentally start preparing myself and hopefully take the leap in the weekend...

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:52 pm

The truth is you can probably update eg and be just fine. I like to be way too cautious when giving people advice in situations like these though. In the meantime can you show me a screenshot of the autostart portion of your tree? There might be some plugins in there I'm familiar with

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:11 am

In the meantime can you show me a screenshot of the autostart portion of your tree?
That would be a problem since Eventghost no longer starts up.....

I'd rather not take risks as there are years and years of (unskilled/trial&error) programming in it to accomplish my integration of CCTV cameras, monitor control, audio and TV systems, KNX home automation, PIR intrusion detection and propably forgetting some.

Communication is mainly based on UPD protocol plugin, (to communicate with KNX, IR transmitters via IRTrans module, Tasker on Android tablet) Pushbullet plugin (to communicate with phones and tablets), Pako's email plugin (as backup communication), USBUIRT plugin (IR communication main PC) and RFXCom plugin (I have an old RFXCom LAN Transceiver to communicate with wireless Klik-Aan-Klik-Uit devices and X-10 devices).

Getting back to my original post and error message:
locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')
File "locale.pyc", line 513, in setlocale
locale.Error: unsupported locale setting
Is this 'locale setting' related to language or region settings? Could it be that the recent Windows update caused a change in this regard?

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:41 pm

I'm far from being an expert on this BUT I grabbed the source code for your version of EG, and started trying to trace the error messages. What part of the world do you live in? When I opened locale.py in my text editor (Sublime Text) that file only goes to 511 lines with a closing bracket being line 511. Do you remember doing any kind of modifications involving your location? Did you have to add your own location? Check your date, time, and region settings in windows one more time just to be sure everything is accurate there. Your actual EG tree is an xml file, and you should be able to copy and paste it into the forums code brackets. Have you tried running EG as admin? Maybe you should start thinking of a way to hunt down these custom files because some day you will probably need to know exactly what changed. Can you search the forums or you private messages to see what was changed?

What version of windows did you upgrade from and to? You could also try rolling back to the previous build of windows but the same rules apply about backing everything up https://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how-to ... indows-10/

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:45 pm

You could also try rolling back to the previous build of windows
Thanks, that was what I did after checking my Windows update version (to 1809) and a bit of googling and after having found out that I was also having NAS drive mapping issues as described here:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/latest-w ... -problems/

Sure enough after rolling back everything works flawlessly as before!!!!
First thing I did was setting the 'Pause updates' feature, which is now supposed to keep me out of trouble until 27 March 2019....
However, what am I to do after that in order to avoid this stupid repeat?????

Anyway, thanks for helping me out, Jachin99!

Regards,
Perry

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:58 pm

There are a few ways to block them. Give me a little bit and I'll point you to some of them

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:23 pm

We know about this issue. and w are working on a solution for it. you can follow the progress we make here.

https://github.com/EventGhost/EventGhost/issues/369
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:30 pm

you can also download a build of EG that has a workaround added to it.
https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/i ... _Setup.exe

This has not been added to an official release of EG as of yet. We are discussing the best possible solution.We do have a fix for the problem at hand. but if Microsoft changes something once again w can be back in the same boat. Discussions have been taking place to determine what avenue to take
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image