Eventghost on Win 10 Raspberry pi

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
Flyingsubs
Experienced User

Eventghost on Win 10 Raspberry pi

Post by Flyingsubs » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Not sure if anyone saw this:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windo ... 38604.html

Curious to see how eventghost would run on a setup like that. Also curious how windows runs on it in general. lol

jachin99
Experienced User

Re: Eventghost on Win 10 Raspberry pi

Post by jachin99 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:28 pm

I had the same thought. It looks like the perfect EG appliance

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:22 pm

that is not anything new.

and EG will not run on it. the Windows 10 that can run on that thing is Windows 10 IoT not traditional Windows 10. it is a development environment. Closer to Windows Core then to a full blown version of Windows. PLUS. EventGhost is not designed to run on an ARM processor. remember Windows RT?? and all of the people complaining about applications not working because they bought an ARM based tablet.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

slattynan
Experienced User

Post by slattynan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:41 pm

lolz, i remember all too well! MS are terrible for having a great idea, releasing something that is 20% of the initial idea and then abandoning the project 2 years later when unsurprisingly unsuccessful :o :roll: :cry:

at least they are willing to gamble, unlike some... apple?

007craft

Post by 007craft » Wed May 29, 2019 1:34 am

I never really understood raspberry pies outside of using them to build specific portable consoles. Otherwise just buy a cheap all in one computer to make your life so much easier that can run full blown windows. You can find some low spec ones for like $100, and they run even faster than a pi.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed May 29, 2019 2:39 am

wee the real purpose for a pi is it is a development board. there are GPIO (General Purpose Input Output) pins. and these pins cab be used for things like temperature sensors. humidity sensors. IR receivers to name a few but there are 100's of various sensors that can be used for input. and output would be things like Relays, IR blasters and addressable LED control..

I have one strapped to the back of my TV for this sole purpose. I have a piece of software that integrates with my HTPC. it reads the edge pixels of a video stream. specifically to get the color. it then passes the color to the raspberry pi where I run a piece of software called hyperion. hyperion uses that stream of pixel colors and sets the colors on individually addressable LED strips that i have attached to the back of my screen. this produces a glow behind the screen and onto the wall. and the color of the glow is an extension of the color for that specific point on the edge of the screen.

Another use is instead of paying 100+ dollars for a Serial/IP adapter to control a TV you can spend 35.00 instead and get the same thing.
I personally feel it is too slow to be any kind of a "STB" which is what a lot of people try to use them for.

Oh here is another thing i use them for.. while doing the above lighting things. I forgot about this. I have an HTPC attached to each of my TV's all of the HTPC's are located in my media room which in one case is 2 floors away from a bedroom the TV is in. Keyboard and mouse is not going to travel that far. wire or wireless doesn't matter. I use a piece of software called "Virtual here" that provides me with USB/IP. so when i plug in any USB device into the raspberry it "plugs" the device into the HTPC. nice when having to do maintenance tasks. Also really nice when someone brings a USB stick with movies or photos they want to view.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image