DCOM errors in Event viewer

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
dobbelina

DCOM errors in Event viewer

Post by dobbelina » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:49 am

Hi all!

I'm using EventGhost_0.4.1.r1722 on Windows 10 64 bit, using the MceRemote & XBMC2 plugins.
I'm starting it with task scheduler at logon running with "highest privileges".
As follows:
Trigger: "At logon" any user
Action: "Start a program", "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\EventGhost.exe"
Argument: -h
It works beatifully, but it creates a lot of DCOM errors in the System event viewer log?
These are the errors:
Event ID:10000
Unable to start a DCOM Server: {7EB106DC-468D-4345-9CFE-B0021039114B}. The error:
"5"
Happened while starting this command:
C:\PROGRA~2\EVENTG~1\EVENTG~1.EXE /Automate -Embedding
and
Event ID:10010
The server {7EB106DC-468D-4345-9CFE-B0021039114B} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
Are there any remedies to avoid this?
The Event ID:10010 errors are numerous, as one gets created each time you press a button on the remote.

Thanks for any answers and Eventghost rocks!

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: DCOM errors in Event viewer

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:08 pm

first thing. you cannot use the Task Scheduler to start EventGhost. it may appear to work beautiful but as you can see behind the scenes it is not.

EG relies on many windows GUI features. The issue with the Task Scheduler is that it can launch the program before the GUI and other bits of the user session actually loads.

We added a check box in the options dialog inside of EG that will enable you to have EventGhost start when you login. My suggestion is that you use this mechanism because we know it works.

I am not sure what these specific command line switches are are being called when trying to start EventGhost

Code: Select all

/Automate -Embedding

I have never seen them before and they are not something that is built into EG. Hence the reason why you are getting the error I am sure.

In the future you will be able to add EG to the Task Scheduler because we are depreciating the use of the COM Server portion of EG. it has become obsolete in the latest releases of EventGhost. But until then you will have to use the mechanism that is built into EventGhost if you want an error free startup.

**NOTE the COM server portions of EventGhost enable command line passing of parameters to an already running EventGhost session
Things like triggering an event or installing a plugin. It uses the COM server to pass the arguments that are specified in the command line to the running session of EG. If you do not use the command line for controlling an already running session of EG then you can disregard the error as it has no effect other then possibly causing the passing of the data into an already running session to not work. I do say "possibly" I have not tinkered about with it because we are no longer going to use it so there really is no point to me event trying to fix it. So i am not sure what the exact behavior would be having that error in the event log.

I hope that is a good enough answer. because it is the only one i have. you can try running EG 0.5 RC4 to see if the error persists we have changed many things inside of EG and there are tons of bug fixes and compatibility issue fixes with the different Windows versions. If you are running on Windows 10 I very strongly suggest using EG 0.5. EG 0.4 is a ton of compatibility problems with Windows 10 some of which break certain aspects of Windows 10 causing it to not operate properly, these issues have been resolved in EG 0.5
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

dobbelina

Post by dobbelina » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:07 am

Hi kgschlosser,

Thanks for your thorough reply!
After updating to EG 0.5 RC4 the errors are gone, nice!! :D
However, the "Autostart" option wont work, nothing happens when i press the remote buttons.
EG starts and all, and you can see the icon in the sys tray, but it's a no-go.
Only if i rightclick and "run as admin" or use the elevated task scheduler trick will it work.
Also noticed that i couldn't disable the HID service unless elevated.
I'm the only user and a member of the Administrators group, but that isn't sufficient.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:05 pm

in EG certain plugins need to install drivers in order for the plugin to work.

you need to follow these instructions in order to get some some of the plugins to work properly.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9658

Microsoft was so kind as to block unsigned drivers on us it looks like everything installs properly. and no errors sow up but things do not work properly.

Let me explain how UAC (User Access Control) works. Even tho you have given you user account Administrative privileges this is still not the same as "Run As Administrator" the actual Administrator account has the ability to do more then an account with Administrative privileges. so keep that in mind if we ever give instruction to use the "Run as Administrator". you have to do exactly that.

When you use "Run As" any user (this can be done from the command prompt) it actually starts another user session on top of the one you are logged in with. it's kind of a tricky thing to explain but imagine being able to log in 2 times simultaneously and if you had the ability to see desktops at the same time. It is just like that except the second desktop is not visible only the program. in EG if you make any changes and it is running as Administrator the changes get saved into the Administrator accounts profile. not the one you are logged in with. so if you have EG running as Administrator and then click the AutoStart check box it is going to AutoStart for the user Administrator. and not the user you are actually logged into the desktop with. so you need to make sure you make these changes when you have not run EG as Administrator.

To show you what I am talking about EG remembers the size and position each time you close it. so if you run EG as an administrator move EG and change the size of it. then save and close it. then open EG back up without using Run as Administrator. you will notice that it is not where it was previously. then close it again and run it as Administrator. you will then see that it has opened up where it should have. If you browse the user profiles using file manager in the AppData\Roaming\EventGhost folder of that user profile you will see there are files saved in there. There are files saved for each and every single user profile you have opened EG up with. We decided to do this so EG could be specific to the logged in user. so it could load a completely different save file based on the username.

I know it is a bit confusing. So be sure you make any settings changes to EG without running it as an Administrator. I am thinking that we may need to add a red bar at the top of EG to give the user a notice about running as the Administrator and that changes made while running EG this way will not populate to EG being run as another User. we tried to show this in the options dialog. if you look at the AutoStart option in the options dialog it will state "Auto Start for user Administrator" when running EG as Administrator. and not you current Username you are logged in with.

Windows 10 has added a whole set of challenges we have been trying to find the best solutions to overcome. some we have managed to do so seamlessly others we are still working on to find the best way to make it as seamless to the user as possible. We still have some work to do as you can see. This conversation has given me several ideas. and this is the reason as to why EG 0.5 is still a release candidate and not a full release yet.

What i need to do is add a red banner to the GUI when running EG as Administrator. I also need to add a message box when installing a plugin that uses an unsigned driver giving instruction on how to install the driver in the event it does not work properly.

I think that maybe with those additions it will eliminate the confusion.

dobbelina

Post by dobbelina » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:32 am

Hi again kgschlosser,

And thanks for an even thorougher reply!

I wonder, if it's an unsigned driver issue, how come it works when "run as admin"?
I assume the driver isn't present on the system at all without the disabled driver signing.
My theory is that if it's an permission issue, maybe one could code the changes into the installer
concerning the relevant registry keys.

For registry:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... nds/regini

For files:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... nds/icacls

Just an idea.... :mrgreen:

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:46 am

what is it exactly that is not working properly when running EventGhost as a normal user?

you state remote presses but also state HID service...
Do you mean the MCE Remote Vista+ plugin and the alternateMCEIr service?

if that is the case then you do need to install that plugin when running EG as administrator. and you also need to install the service as administrator. then you need to reboot the computer.

You can ditch the use of the task scheduler. this is going to cause you issues. open EG not as an administrator. go into the options dialog for EG and check off the AutoStart EG flag. save EG and close it. then logoff and log back on it should start up

As a note. EG adds an icon to the startup folder for it to start. if you have used msconfig or some other utility and disabled windows loading those programs this will cause EG to not start.

dobbelina

Post by dobbelina » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:11 am

When running EG as a normal user, buttons pressed on the remote is not detected at all, nothing happens.
I do not use the Vista plugin, i use this one: Identifier="MceRemote" Guid="{02181DB1-F29D-4CCB-BF91-7A86EFB0D22C}".
When installing the MceRemote plugin i had to start EG as an Administrator, otherwise it wouldn't allow me to
disable the HID service.
After that was done and a reboot, HID service was successfully disabled.
Eg, these keys are gone from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da
"CodeSetNum0"=dword:00000000
"CodeSetNum1"=dword:00000000
"CodeSetNum2"=dword:00000000
"CodeSetNum3"=dword:00000000
But starting EG either by just doubleclicking on it, or by the "Autostart" option that puts a shortcut
into the Startup folder, will not work and nothing happens.
Only by rightclicking and "Run as admin" will activate it and make it work.

EDIT:
It would make sense to disable driver signing if i used the MceRemote_Vista plugin, as i assume that's the
one with the unsigned drivers, and perhaps that one works without starting EG as Administrator?
Haven't tried it.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:15 pm

what do you mean by disable HID service?

In order to install the MCE Remote Vista+ plugin which is the one you should be using you need to run eventghost as administrator. to be able to install the alternateMCRIr Service. which is what you will be prompted to do when you add the plugin to your configuration tree.

Once you have installed the service you will need to close EG and restart your computer.

Once your computer has been restarted then you will need to run EventGhost then the Remote will be working properly. There are very explicit instructions in the support forum for the plugin located HERE

I am not sure as to why you have having an issue with EG auto starting. it should be auto starting if there is a shortcut in your startup group in your start menu. it may not be starting because you have this disabled.

If you click start and in the run box key in msconfig and press enter a config utility will open. make sure the startup selection is set to normal. also if you start the task manager (alt+esc) there is a tab called startup. make sure EventGhost is not disabled if it is in there.

dobbelina

Post by dobbelina » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:15 am

Hi again kgschlosser!

After i changed to the MCE Vista plugin everything works perfect. :D
No need to run EG as Admin anymore, and the "Autosstart" option also works.
The remote is also more responsive now than before.

You are a real asset and i bow my head for your excellent help!!

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:46 am

donate button below

Code: Select all

. ;.
                                               .;
                                                ;;.
                                              ;;.;;
                                              ;;;;;.
                                              ;;;;;;.
                                              ;;;;;;;
                                              ;;;;;;;
                                           ...;;;;;;;...
                                             ':::::::'
                                               ::::: 
                                                ':`

dobbelina

Post by dobbelina » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:18 am

kgschlosser wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:46 am
donate button below
Donation has been made cause you are awesome!
Thanks again :mrgreen:

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:47 pm

TY very much for the donation. every penny helps to keep EG going.

If you have any other questions or simply want advice, I am here to help drop me a PM or start a new topic on the forum. I am pretty good about responding.