MCE Remote Win 10 update

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
jachin99
Experienced User

Re: MCE Remote Win 10 update

Post by jachin99 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:49 am

I just typed a response and my pho e screwed up. I have another busy weekend but I'll share those reg keys. Does hdhr work normally with keyboard input? You might want to revisit your driver's.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:15 am

Here is the reg key from my Win 7 machine. I ADDED THOSE TWO KEYS REFERENCED EARLY BACK TO MY REGISTRY
Attachments
HIDIR_MCE_Enabled.txt
(21.21 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

Sat32

Post by Sat32 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:20 pm

jachin99 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:15 am
Here is the reg key from my Win 7 machine. I ADDED THOSE TWO KEYS REFERENCED EARLY BACK TO MY REGISTRY
Thanks for posting that, I thought you were running windows 10 anyways I ran it through notepad plus compare plugin
and there is some small differences.
But I'm not sure if that has to do with the OS version or not.

Thanks

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:51 pm

This is from a win 7 machine. Maybe there is another plugin that can send input to a program? Don't forget to look at the drivers as well. If nothing else, go to device manager, and see if there are other drivers for MCEIR somewhere on the machine, and try using those. I am assuming send keystroke hooks the mceir drivers but I can't be sure.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Sat32 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:20 pm
jachin99 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:15 am
Thanks for posting that, I thought you were running windows 10 anyways I ran it through notepad plus compare plugin
and there is some small differences.
But I'm not sure if that has to do with the OS version or not.

Thanks
Development on these drivers likely stopped after vista or win 7. Maybe you need a reg entry for a Win 8 machine?

Sat32

Post by Sat32 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:13 am

Here is what is happening what I've tried and conclusions made from the results.

Is the problem hardware related = NO because happening on three different systems with different chipsets/hardware.

Is the problem related to my harmony profile + NO because problem occurs even if the Sendkey{direction} is triggered by other means aka "Keyboard"

Is the problem related to Eventghost how it sends Keystrokes = Unlikely because it was working, I haven't updated or changed EG and Sendkey{direction} works correctly for all other applications I tried.

Is the problem related to MCE drivers = Unlikely because problem occurs even if the Sendkey{direction} is triggered by other means aka "Keyboard"
and Sendkey{direction} works correctly for all other applications I tried.

Is the problem related to Windows 10 = Unlikely Sendkey{direction} works correctly for all other applications I tried

Is the problem related to HDHomerun App = Possibly because Sendkey{direction} works correctly for all other applications I tried.

Is the problem related to some other piece of software I have Virus Scanner ect = Unlikely because the HDHomerun app is the only application that is having this issue

My conclusion is for some reason Silicondust doesn't want users controlling there windows 10 app from the windows store with eventghost for some reason because the physical keyboard works as intended and The Sendkey{direction} work with HDHomerun plugin for Kodi using Eventghost

If anybody can come to another conclusion not overlooking this fact.
Sendkey{direction} works correctly for all other applications

Let me know

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:15 am

To be completely honest, were I running a win 10 htpc I would use a mouse as a remote control. I still have some reading to do so I'll keep investigating but a mouse works on ANY webpage and EG can still trigger macros with it. Even on win 7 I only use gyration remotes because there is a mouse to fall back to. One option for you that I just now thought of is use your direction arrows to move the mouse to various screen positions when HDHR View is the active window. I have done this with Netflix before and it worked relatively well. For that slice guide I can't imagine it would be too hard. Just set the up key to show the guide and move the mouse to the top slot, then have the down key move the mouse to the next lower grid cell. You will still have to work out the left and right direction part but it might work

Sat32

Post by Sat32 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:32 am

After talking with a person from silicon dust on there forums and some more testing I have finally clearly identified what and where the problem is.

The last Microsoft update changed the way UWP apps that have remote and keyboard support receive input.

Eventghosts send keystrokes plugin will need to be updated to fix the problem

Thanks

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:04 pm

I can't do this right now but I might have a way to fix it. I need to do something on my end first though.

Sat32

Post by Sat32 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:03 am

jachin99 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:04 pm
I can't do this right now but I might have a way to fix it. I need to do something on my end first though.
Hopefully you have a good work around if not hopefully eventghost developers will do something to address the issue.

Solution 1: Create Plugin that will send MCE/game controller events to the OS sort of like a Virtual Remote

Solution 2: fix sendkey plugin

Solution 3: Allow EG pass on or relay MCE events

Thanks

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:50 am

If you install the MCE Vista+ plugin along with the Alternate IR service, and use a Windows media center control profile with your harmony remote, EG should intercept your keystrokes, and windows SHOULD not see them. Installing the MCE Vista+ plugin will remove those two registry keys referenced earlier ensuring Windows doesn't see keystrokes from MCE remotes, and the alternate IR service should help EG intercept the key presses generated by the MCE profile on your harmony remote. I wanted to test this before I told you but It could work. From here, test the send keystrokes action again and if it doesn't work out, then you send a mouse scroll instead. One click of the mouse wheel on my machine selects the next lowest grid cell.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:15 am

One more thing. As far as a new send keystrokes goes, a lot of things are moving in terms of updating EG so after some EG "platform" updates there are likely to be quite a few new possibilities in terms of plugin development. But a lot of that is still in the works or undecided. I have a lot going on right now but things will clear up over the next few weeks and I can bounce around a few of my ideas

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:58 pm

I started poking around with Windows 10, and remote navigation in order to explore how eventghost fits in. I noticed while using an Xbox One Controller as a remote control, the direction keys work natively in the WIn 10 HDHR View app. Another benefit to the XBox controller remote is there is no need to disable driver signing enforcement. With EG enabled, and using an emulate keystroke macro I got the same effect but I didnt notice the problem on any other apps. I needed keystroke emulation to browse youtube.com/tv for example, and everything seemed fine. What was really strange to me is that I don't think regular keyboard navigation was possible using HDHR View. I'm going to keep toying around with this because the XBox remote, I believe, is a good candidate for a modern HTPC remote, although I understand it isnt for everybody.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:18 pm

well howdy do..

If the Xbox remote seems to work pretty well. I am betting I can inject remote presses as if you were using that controller. This one will have to sit on the back burner for a while. I have to much i am trying to finish up as it is.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:48 pm

I figured it out!! You have to check the box that says "use alternate method to emulate keypresses on the action part of the macro configuration. I posted over the SD forums about this also. KG, no hurry, and I know your working on a lot of other stuff I'm excited to try out. I have been really distracted trying to get a machine setup just for EG, and some other programs, and I finally have things running mostly smooth on that.