Experimental EG Icons in Grande, Venti & Teeny-Tiny...

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.

Want Do You Think? / Vote Your Opinion

They Look Like A Young Rachel From "Friends" Walking Towards Me After Watching "The Prom" Video
No votes
They Have A Great Personality Like Phoebe
No votes
They Look Like Danny Devito, In Batman Returns
No votes

Total votes: 0

justahotbag2
Experienced User

Experimental EG Icons in Grande, Venti & Teeny-Tiny...

Post by justahotbag2 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:22 pm

Have you wanted a Higher Res EG Icon, but don't want an EG icon change that will bunch up your drawers? (TLDR ~ attached in a zip are 16,24,32,48,64,96, and 128px sizes in ICO and PNG Formats)
Icons.png
Icons.png (21.01 KiB) Viewed 911 times
...UPDATED With 16px... April 11th, 2018
==================================================
Experimental EG Icon Changes
==================================================
--------------------------------------------------
Version 0.2.0 (April 11th, 2018)
--------------------------------------------------
All previous icons have been enlarged by at least 2px vertically. Are now truly the stated size, and renamed as such to state the vertical size only.
All sharp corners have been rounded slightly.
Very small adjustments to the icon components (rounded to even numbers where possible) so that they scale theoretically better to different sizes.
SVG formats included where applicable.
16px "Green Play" Tray icons now included in 4 styles.
16px "Ghost" Tray icons created and included in light and dark color palettes
Added an optional blue color option added to all new tray icons, to be used at user discretion.

Future Changes:
Add semi-transparent versions of the ghost tray icons, (because it's a ghost.)
More tray ghost options
Unofficial Logo rebuild
Incorporate user recommendations... Post on the thread any ideas...
------------------------------------------------

I've been wanting to share something with the community, so I guess, here is something.

To swap the tray icons is super easy because EG rocks, there is a "images" folder, where it's installed. You can just drop these in, the icons are already properly named to replace the existing icons, so backup the old ones. Doing this will also replace the icon in the window titlebar. As far as I can tell it's changed everywhere except the icon used for the "egplugin" extension, for that you will have to compile it yourself, or hack it in with a resource hacker like "ResourceEditor" (which I did).

I welcome any suggestions (they will all be read & considered), and directions to go in.
Try the new ghost tray icon, it's green for an easy transition.

The latest version and one previous version will always be posted here.
EG_Icon_Pack_0.2.zip
(71.05 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
EG_Icon_Pack.zip
(39.81 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Last edited by justahotbag2 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

topix
Experienced User

Re: Experimental EG Icons in Grande & Venti &...

Post by topix » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:31 am

Looks very nice. :thumbs_up:

Would be cool if you could make also 16x16 and 24x24 ones. :) What about making them in SVG format? Oh and maybe have the Ghost and EventGhost logo a refresh? :D :D

justahotbag2
Experienced User

Post by justahotbag2 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:48 pm

For you Topix anything, :) (actually I finished the 16px versions yesterday.) It needed a rebuild because all the detail was getting lost at that size. Including the SVG format is no problem, will do. I actually think you had something to do with me giving mind to the EG icons, wasn't it you than got some small push back for changing the EG Icon to the ghost, because you thought it made more sense, or needed a refresh? Excuse me, if I remember incorrectly.

However, While I have your attention, maybe we can save some of KG's precious time, and maybe you (you seem to know "things" and be involved with the bowels of EG) or someone else can tell me if I build a "apng" an Animated PNG (basically a true color gif) will it work to swap out the red 16px "activity icon"? The format is Mozilla designed, and I can't remember if it's been ratified as a standard. I need to now what to change, because EG is looking for an PNG extension from the images folder (EG is too awesome, didn't realize it was so accessible, 'till yesterday.). I need to know, even if only an older "GIF" is the only format that will work. Is making it animated a bad idea all together?

That said, I'll still make just a plain static red play button, for those that don't want anything fancy. However, you're right that including an SVG will allow everyone to adjust everything and the colors to their hearts desire.

Re-imagining the ghost icon will take more time, the remote control is maybe too much, on the nose, I don't know, do you have any thoughts? Maybe it should be on the nose. Perhaps EG, doesn't need any metaphor in its styling, maybe it needs black and white clarity.

Not really important, but does anyone know what the ghost in the icon, is suppose to represent? Did the name precede the icon? 'Cause the name is cool, sometimes the cool factor, informs everything else.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:48 pm

The whole GUI needs refreshing.

I would like to make the toolbar auto sensing to screen resolution to make the icons larger. we would need to have 128x128, 64x64, 32x32, 16x16 icons. I can do the resizing in EG but it causes a significant increase in the time it takes to start EG. and resizing a 16x16 icon is simply not an option LOL.

I have a resolution of 5760x1080 and those icons get really really tiny, makes it really hard to click the buggers. and you know the UHD monitors are going to end up being more common. the icon sizes are going to have to get addressed sooner then later. Not to mention it would be nice to have a tablet interface for EG as well.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

topix
Experienced User

Post by topix » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:22 pm

justahotbag2 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:48 pm
wasn't it you than got some small push back for changing the EG Icon to the ghost, because you thought it made more sense, or needed a refresh?
Yes, that was me, i appologize. :roll: :oops:

justahotbag2 wrote:
tell me if I build a "apng" an Animated PNG (basically a true color gif) will it work to swap out the red 16px "activity icon"? The format is Mozilla designed, and I can't remember if it's been ratified as a standard.
From reading the wikipedia article i would say it's no official standard and wxpython/wxwidgets doesn't have support for it. Seems not possible to use it.

justahotbag2 wrote:
Re-imagining the ghost icon will take more time, the remote control is maybe too much, on the nose, I don't know, do you have any thoughts? Maybe it should be on the nose. Perhaps EG, doesn't need any metaphor in its styling, maybe it needs black and white clarity.
If it's too much work, don't do it. It's just that i like the little ghost more than the green arrow. To me it's more distinguishable and has it's own charakter. It's not "just a plain geometry figure", it has a brand recognition. :D

justahotbag2 wrote:
Not really important, but does anyone know what the ghost in the icon, is suppose to represent? Did the name precede the icon? 'Cause the name is cool, sometimes the cool factor, informs everything else.
Well, i don't know why the ghost was choosen. Maybe because normaly you don't see them just like the great possibilities EventGhost offers? :)

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:41 pm

topix wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:22 pm
Well, i don't know why the ghost was choosen. Maybe because normaly you don't see them just like the great possibilities EventGhost offers? :)

That's awesome.. Has to be the best slogan I have ever heard. Maybe a an EG tag line? is there a way it can be reworded a little to become one.

Or should it be.

"Why the Ghost? Because you don't see them just like the great possibilities EventGhost offers!"

justahotbag2
Experienced User

Post by justahotbag2 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:48 am

kgschlosser wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:48 pm
The whole GUI needs refreshing.
I would like to make the toolbar auto sensing to screen resolution to make the icons larger. we would need to have 128x128, 64x64, 32x32, 16x16 icons.
Before I dance, with genitals tucked :oops: , are you suggesting, that if I remake all the icons, you might use them in a future build? :|

kgschlosser wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:48 pm
I have a resolution of 5760x1080
What :twisted: beast is this? an LG? And that's a command center, not a monitor, or it's a monitor for monitoring :twisted: EVERYTHING, which would make you omnipresent...

justahotbag2
Experienced User

Post by justahotbag2 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:57 am

kgschlosser wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:41 pm
topix wrote:

That's awesome.. Has to be the best slogan I have ever heard. Maybe a an EG tag line? is there a way it can be reworded a little to become one.

Or should it be.

"Why the Ghost? Because you don't see them just like the great possibilities EventGhost offers!"
I second this idea, Topix hit me in the nuts, and the mouth with this line. :|

justahotbag2
Experienced User

Post by justahotbag2 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:12 pm

topix wrote:
justahotbag2 wrote:
wasn't it you than got some small push back for changing the EG Icon to the ghost, because you thought it made more sense, or needed a refresh?
Yes, that was me, i appologize. :roll: :oops:
No need to apologize, I agree with the sentiment, as I said it nudged me to do something about something bothering me too.
justahotbag2 wrote:
topix wrote:
If it's too much work, don't do it. It's just that i like the little ghost more than the green arrow. To me it's more distinguishable and has it's own charakter. It's not "just a plain geometry figure", it has a brand recognition. :D
I agree again, the "play" icon, isn't distinguished enough. But I also think a ghost holding a remote control is far too much of a simplification of what EG does today. Though I can imagine it fit at some point.

In addition, I could never put in too much work compared to what all you great Devs have put in. It would be my excited pleasure, and opportunity to do what I can.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:19 pm

justahotbag2 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:12 pm
I second this idea, Topix hit me in the nuts, and the mouth with this line. :|

what are you saying?? Topix hit you in the mouth with his nuts?

justahotbag2 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:48 am
Before I dance, with genitals tucked :oops: , are you suggesting, that if I remake all the icons, you might use them in a future build? :|
well the coding side of things is Topix domain. I for one am up for some kind up a GUI upgrade. something that can dynamically change based on resolution of the desktop. and if the screen is touch capable. I did wrote up a little code to handle to aspects of detecting what the monitor does/is. so upgrading the GUI Icons as a first step would be something that would be simple to do.
justahotbag2 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:12 pm
What :twisted: beast is this? an LG? And that's a command center, not a monitor, or it's a monitor for monitoring :twisted:
It is not a single monitor. It is 3 Samsung 22.6" screens. I have removed the bezels and made an aluminum housing that places all 3 right next to each other. and use an ATI Radeon R9 GPU with Eyefinity enabled.

justahotbag2
Experienced User

Post by justahotbag2 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:23 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:19 pm
what are you saying?? Topix hit you in the mouth with his nuts?
You reading between the nuts?.. :|
The truth is, I was cleaning them,
With my mouth, So it's understandable...
kgschlosser wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:19 pm
It is not a single monitor. It is 3 Samsung 22.6" screens. I have removed the bezels and made an aluminum housing that places all 3 right next to each other. and use an ATI Radeon R9 GPU with Eyefinity enabled.
So interesting that our setups are so similar, 3 as well, on same GPU, but on two, I removed the frames as well, because I prefer the cleaner industrial look, over branded plastic. However, I just modified the casing to be stable on a VESA mount with some washers, and moved the power button to the back (with a waterproofing jacket, it's on the kitchen side of a studio apt. Recently starting using EG to replace another piece of software, and have EG shortcut swap windows from one side of room to another, works quite reliably. EG is not only my friend, but also my lover.), I also unplugged the menu button pcb, and removed the ridiculous tiny speakers, never used either on those two monitors. Alas, they do need a second capacitor replacement, after 9 years, but they will be back in service until something other than the caps go.

P.S. I will PM Topix about the Icon work.
...and I really appreciate the work you do around here and on EG.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:44 pm

Are you running HP screens?? those are the only ones that I know of that have speakers in them. LOL. not to mention they do look the best still to day.

I have to replace the caps in 2 of my Samsungs as well. I just got these 3. they are used picked them up from a recycle place for 30 beans for all 3. i do have 3 HP's still tho. haven't decided on what to do with them. w2007 a 2009m and a w1907 still in perfect working condition. never been repaired and have their bezels in tact lol.

what i did for the buttons is i used an Arduino to change settings on them. I bought a touch sensitive button strip so i have one set of buttons for all of the screens with a single power button and a single button for monitor select with an RGB LED to indicate which screen it is set to. used aluminum L channel with steel pop rivets that i wrapped each screen in 1/20th of an inch thick placed spacers to angle the new frames and riveted the frames together.

topix
Experienced User

Post by topix » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:43 am

justahotbag2 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:48 am
That's what i had in mind. The idea is to add an icon selection to the options so the user can decide which one she/he likes.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:46 am

SKINS!!! and ICON PACKS!!!

justahotbag2
Experienced User

Re: Experimental EG Icons in Grande, Venti & Teeny-Tiny...

Post by justahotbag2 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:20 pm

I don't know if I should start a fresh thread for this, please advise me KG or Topix, but I was working on a revised EG Logo, and thought I shouldn't leave out the Dev's that build this beautiful baby, my current WIP allows for the insertion of "Easter eggs". So I would like your opinion, on whether or not I should solicit all the Dev's you think should be applicable (I'm too new here, to even who's who.) Frankly they might be too busy, but before I get ahead of myself you guys have to like the direction in the first place. So here are two directions... Opinions please, if you're not too busy.
A & B.png
A & B.png (51.19 KiB) Viewed 910 times
So here's the concept, which BTW means nothing if it doesn't feel good. No problem scraping it completely.
The Calendar is synonymous with "Events" and EG can react to such, the date boxes seen through the ghost also represent the quilt work of plugins that make it up.
They can/we be filled symbols including the original remote control and aforementioned "Dev's Personal Easter Eggs" maybe connected more like plugs, and less like an actual quilt (not supposed to look like plaid, like it does now). I'm thinking 192x192px, so the egg details may get lost in each box, but at least they will be there in spirit.