Sending events from outside to EventGhost

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
Jabberwock

Sending events from outside to EventGhost

Post by Jabberwock » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:59 pm

I wonder what is the most popular way of sending events from outside the local network to EventGhost (e.g. from phone)? I was using Pushbullet and now I am using AutoRemote, but for some reason some signals seem to be lost... I would rather not open my network ports directly (e.g. for webserver plugin) due to safety concerns...

What are you using?

piert
Experienced User

Re: Sending events from outside to EventGhost

Post by piert » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:48 pm

PushBullet. What made you stop using it?

Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:53 am

As with AutoRemote, some events were not sent properly. Admittedly, this might be due to my setup, as my gate is just on the border of my WiFi range, so my phone gets sometimes confused... However, AutoRemote sometimes misses events even when I am deep in the WiFi range. Maybe I should try Pushbullet again...

eirik226
Experienced User

Post by eirik226 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:59 pm

Take a look at Join - you can connect that to eventgost

https://joaoapps.com/join/

eirik226
Experienced User

Post by eirik226 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:48 am

I'll explain a bit better - you can use the combination of tasker and join to send whatever you want from your phone (even outside the local network) to eventghost. And because of tasker this can literally be anything I think.

You will also need the chrome plugin and that will send the events to eventghost, so:

Tasker --> Join --> Chrome plugin --> EG.

Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:49 am

I will have a look, but I assume it is similar to AutoRemote (as it is by the same author)?

eirik226
Experienced User

Post by eirik226 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:17 am

Yes, I think so. But it works better in my experience.

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:34 am

Jabberwock wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:59 pm
I wonder what is the most popular way of sending events from outside the local network to EventGhost (e.g. from phone)? I was using Pushbullet and now I am using AutoRemote, but for some reason some signals seem to be lost... I would rather not open my network ports directly (e.g. for webserver plugin) due to safety concerns...

What are you using?
you could also try the XMPP plugin :
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10068

install any jabber client on your smartphone (or any other device and/or OS), and you're good to go, there's no need to open anything on your local network, and you can "talk" with EG in real time :) Nothing is missed :) even if the connection is lost for some reason, the message will be received upon re-connection without any intervention.

Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:47 am

XMPP is indeed powerful, but I cannot see any plugins/solutions that would allow sending messages with Tasker. But maybe there are some workarounds?

Snowbird
Experienced User

Post by Snowbird » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:34 pm

I didn't know that you wanted to use Tasker, is it something mandatory for you ? what are you trying to accomplish ? maybe I could help you.

Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:01 pm

I have tried to reinstall Pushbullet, but I cannot get it to work at all... Some problems with cURL and certificates. I will get to it later.

I use Tasker, as I have a custom dialog window with sliders for opening my fence door, gate and garage gate.

eirik226
Experienced User

Post by eirik226 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:46 pm

Why can't you use join? Then you can send whatever you want from phone (tasker) to eventghost. It's really easy to setup as well. All events (inside and outside of network) will work. I don't really understand what you are trying to do since you can't use it or any of the other solutions.

eirik226
Experienced User

Post by eirik226 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:48 pm

What about IFTTT? https://ifttt.com/discover

Should work with tasker and I think you can get that to send the events to eventghost as well.

EDIT:

I think you could also use tasker and install the webserver plugin on eventghost - and "post" stuff from tasker and get the webserver to handle it and create events in EG. I did this a long time ago, can't recall what I did tho. But basically if I have webserver running on localhost:8080 - you could do a post request or something to IP:PORT?event_name...

But since you want it to be able to work outside network you'd have to open the webserver port so you can access it from outside of your network. I have little to no experience with this. I guess a VPN or something should be used for that.

yokel22
Experienced User

Post by yokel22 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:50 pm

Here's a few more that haven't been mentioned yet.

Dropbox & eg folder watcher/file operations plugins.
Email & eg email plugin.
Sms & eg text plugin

Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:40 pm

I would rather not open a webserver socket to the outside...

I will try out Join.