Eventghost not working when certain apps are in focus.

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
TrentLane

Eventghost not working when certain apps are in focus.

Post by TrentLane » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:05 pm

I'm sure this must have been experienced before, I have tried searching but can only assume I'm missing some keywords that aren't getting me to the pages on the net I need.

Basically when certain apps are in focus (to name a couple FIrefox & Foxit PDF Reader) the macros I have set up simply don't work (if I have EG on my other screen I can see it doesn't detect the key presses that are associated with the macros). After a while I just gave up on this and took it as a "quirk", however last night they were randomly working in Firefox for no apparent reason.

Things I have tried since:

- Checked if it's still the case in another browser, tried Chrome and my macros work fine.
- Tried disabling and even uninstalling my extensions (Ad Block Plus & Kasperky's extension).
- Disabled my anti-virus.

Some details that may help:

- Running Windows 10
- Running EG 0.4.1r1722
- Runnign HIDMacros (although has this issue before I installed HIDMacros).

Anyone experiences something similar?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Eventghost not working when certain apps are in focus.

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:22 pm

OK First step..

I am going to highly recommend that you upgrade to the latest release candidate of EG 0.5. This is because you are running windows 10 and EG 0.4 has issues with Windows 10. specifically with the Windows Notifications. which is how EG receives keyboard input. So you could be having an issue there.

you can download the latest release by clicking on the EventGhost Repository link near the top of the forum. and from there click on releases.

Next question.

are you running Firefox in full screen mode??? Some applications do some goofy things when in full screen mode and one of them is how keyboard hooking is done. I am going to be a little verbal with this. but some ding dong programmers think that all PC's on the planet only have a single display and that when their application is full screen then it is not important for any other applications to be able to get the Notifications for keystrokes. So they programmed in a response to the notification that stops all other applications from getting a keystroke notification. This is really lousy programming in my mind. but there is not a thing we can do about it. I wish there was because this does come up quite a bit. I do not know if Firefox is like this or not. but it is something to be aware of anyway.

Now if you are trying to send keystrokes to a program you MUST use the Find Window Action and target the control you want to send the keystrokes to. Even tho the Action is called Find "Window" it is really nor referring to the application "Window". the "Window" it is referring to is a sub classed control of the Microsoft Window base class. Which can pretty much be any type of control. Targeting the application window may not give you the desired outcome. If you are trying to send keys into a program that has a custom drawn GUI it may or may not work. You will not be able to target a specific control because the controls in a custom GUI are not sub classes of the Window class. most browsers have custom drawn GUI's the only one that is only a partial custom drawn that I know of is IE. some of the controls in IE can be directly accessed. After you use the Find Window action then you will place the Send Keys Action directly after, there is no need to use the bring window to front action. it will still send the keystrokes to the window even if it is not on the top of the z-order (active/in focus).

I figured I would mention the second part because most people use key combinations to control aspects of a program and that will sometimes entail sending keystrokes to that application.

I would try updating EG first. (make a backup of your save file before upgrading). and double check if Firefox is in full screen mode. let me know how you make out.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:25 pm

One other thing is to make sure there are not any other pieces of software running that may interrupt the keyboard notifications. programs like Auto Hot Key.

if you bring up your task manager. (ctrl + l-shift + esc) and click on the processes tab and provide me a copy of the processes (might have to print screen them (alt + print screen while the task manager is active) I will be able to tell you if there is something suspicious.

TrentLane

Post by TrentLane » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:23 pm

First of all thank you for your prompt and detailed response, I will update EG and report back.

Secondly it seems to have something to do when the program in focus is a 32Bit program, I tested the portable version of FireFox from portable aps to see if there was something up with my instance. It worked fine, I noticed that portable version was 64-Bit so I changed FireFox to the 64Bit version an dit worked.

FoxIt Reader is also a 32 bit version so this is the common theme between programs I've noticed it on. I'll try upgrading to EG 5.0 and see if this sorts the issue.

For you information I'm not trying to send key strokes to any particular window. It's mainly chaning my Fkey to media buttons (F1 through F6) and the latter F keys to shortcuts (programs / games and websites). Also controlling my HA instance from the numpad (turn lights, fans, heating etc on / off).

TrentLane

Post by TrentLane » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:33 pm

Right,

So that has sorted the issue Fkeys now work in 32 bit programs... but... it's killed my push bulet plug in. I've searched the forums and it seem you (kgschlosser) have some knowledge on that, as you're also a site admin would you prefer I start a new thread for that?

Edit: Or I can do a bit more reading and see you've already helped someone with the issue and follow that. All working well now, thanks.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:02 pm

It's fine to chat about it here.

OK what is going on with pushbullet??. I thought I fixed that bugger. but maybe not I guess...

TrentLane

Post by TrentLane » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:04 pm

Hey Man,

I assume my edit was after your post but yeah push bullet is sorted just have to figure out whats going on with my python scripts now :lol: Ah well at least one issue is sorted.