Eventghost Motion Sensor

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
Flyingsubs
Experienced User

Eventghost Motion Sensor

Post by Flyingsubs » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:36 am

Any devices that work with eventghost that aren't super expensive? I don't see a TP-Link device which I would love to buy. My X10 technology needs a refresh.

Thanks!
Flyingsubs

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Eventghost Motion Sensor

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:11 am

You can use an ESP8266 and a PIR sensor.
really easy to put together and also write firmware for. I now that Pako wrote an interface for the ESP and EventGhost for the ESP8266 if it doesn't support a PIR sensor I am sure he could add the functionality very easily.

ESP8266 is around 10 bucks and the PIR is about 5

so for 15 beans you get a wifi based motion sensor. I would say that is about as cheap as it gets.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

holdestmade
Experienced User

Post by holdestmade » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:15 am

Or get a zwave dongle and use the new Z-wave plugin !
Bit more expensive though.

Medy

Post by Medy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:34 pm

The hue motion sensor got a temp , motion and daylight sensor... ( it works on batteries and you can place it anywhere)
Im using all 3.
The api is really good & you can use the hue plugin for eg that generates motion events...

Cant say it will be cheap in case you dont have a hue bridge.

There is also a motion sensor from d_link which supports ifttt in case you dont go the arduino route

Flyingsubs
Experienced User

Post by Flyingsubs » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:32 pm

Thanks guys, sorry for the late reply. I'm looking at all the options. I'm about to move to a move to a house so I'm going to want to get more into this space. I just wish there was a motion sensor that doesn't require a hub and isn't so DIY.

I'm leaning towards Z-Wave and a Z-Wave hub. I just really like the reliability of TP-Link and i'm not sure they are going to be making a motion sensor anytime soon.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:59 pm

Z-Wave is pretty rock solid..

The thing I like about ZWave over Wifi is

#1 is it is secure.

#2 all hard wired zwave devices are also repeaters. so the distance for the network is not limited to the range of the controllers signal. and the range of the device. whiat this means is with the Wifi a device is only able to communicate with a wifi AP so your rang will be limited to how far the wifi signal can travel from the device to the AP and from the AP back to the device.
where as with ZWave it is a mesh network and a device does not have to talk directly to the controller it can be relayed through another device.

#3 zwave does not use the same network that is used for normal computer use. every time a device is connected to wifi the bandwidth gets split. doesn't matter if the device is using it or not. it does this simply because it is connected. so if you have 99 smart devices and one laptop connected to wifi and you have a 100 mbit connection to the internet that laptop is only going to have 1 mbit of bandwith available to it. even tho the other 99 devices will never use that bandwidth it is still "reserved" for them. I do not believe there is a way to change this. Tho I have not looked into wifi in a long time. things may have changed,

#4 zwave is a standard so a device made by GE will be able to function using the same software as a device made by Fabrio. with Wifi is you want to use the same software you have to buy all the same brand.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:58 pm

I can tell you that the Aeotec Multisensor was a big dissapointment for me. All of the other sensors seemed to work fine but I never did get the motion sensor working correctly. I'm on the lookout for the exact same thing.

yokel22
Experienced User

Post by yokel22 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:25 am

The aeotec multi-sensors suck @ PIR. These guys have worked reliably for me & are on the cheaper side.(for zwave atleast). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQXXG0I/re ... .BbF5YGYZ8

holdestmade
Experienced User

Post by holdestmade » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:49 am

I have a few of the Neo Coolcam Z-wave ones. They are dead cheap on Aliexpress and work fine. Illumination lux sensor is a bit slow to respond but motion is fine

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEO-COO ... d856600c90

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:39 pm

there are 2 things you can do. I am not sure how fast zwave plus reports. But you get set up a faster polling syscle for that device to speed things up a bit. in getting changes from the device

holdestmade
Experienced User

Post by holdestmade » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:05 pm

I'll give it a go, but think this particular sensor is known for only updating the lux when motion is detected.

Ta