Has anybody done anything with Sensibo Sky?

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
Mastiff
Experienced User

Re: Has anybody done anything with Sensibo Sky?

Post by Mastiff » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:44 am

Never occured to me to check that I had webpages out loading... I don't. I see that all the networks for different web servers are "no internet connection", even if they should be. I have to find out what's happening there. Changing the binding order did not help, though.

Mastiff
Experienced User

Post by Mastiff » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:41 pm

Fixed. Turned out to be a small configuration error in the VM-firewall I cloned to do the NAT for all the connections. :mrgreen:

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:37 pm

well would ya look at that. LOL

see we call that a P.E.B.K.A.C problem.

Problem
Exists
Between
Keyboard
And
Chair

:shock:
LOL

I'm joking. Networking and VM's can get complicated. If you have the option of doing (not sure what you are using for a hypervisor) and if there is no special reason as to why you have the VM network separate from the the physical, bridge the networks. NAT is clunky and adds unneeded overhead.

You can even get crafty if you needed the 2 networks to be apart from. you would install the bridge to a single VM and on that VM install a second network card attached to the virtual network and install some routing/firewall software. This solution I would imagine would be the best if you wanted to keep the networks apart. back in the day (which was a Thursday i think) when you wanted to share a dial up connection NAT was the go to protocol. it has long outlived it's usefulness (well for me any ways).

Another nice thing to set up is your own DNS server. There is a purpose to this. One is speed the other is security

there is a very large amount of network traffic and added time to loading network based resources comes from DNS queries.

if we break down the actual process of a well known website.
the com's and org's and net's so on and so forth are not root servers. in fact they are domains. there is a . at the end of a web address. this is the root this . is assumed so you don't need to type it in.

HOST DOMAIN DOMAIN ROOT
www . microsoft . com .

I am going to over simplify this process.
each level of the address is going to consist of 2 way communication with a server. the transmit from your computer is going to ask a server who the next server is and so on and so forth until you reach the host.

so you ask hey root who's com.. root sends back an ip address
then you ask com (using the ip you got from root) who's Microsoft. and it hands back the ip.
and this keeps going until the end. now if there is a flaky router or network segment that you have to pass through to get the ip it will make the loading very slow. we have all experienced this. loading a web site and at the bottom of the browser it says looking up..... and is like that for a bit... this is the DNS lookup process having some issues.

Locally your computer does cache some of this information. but not all. it simply holds destination to ip and nothing in between. If you leave your computer running for a time it is wise to flush this cache this can be done from a command prompt

Code: Select all

ipconfig /flushdns
the reason why is because of the dynamic nature of the internet. things can move about.

by setting up a DNS cache (proxy) server is it will capture everything in between not just the destination to ip. it also will store DNS names to clustered ip addresses. Bonus!

It greatly improves the speed. Now you can also pre load the cache if you like. I have mine set up to that is will cache the bottom level domains. the com, net and org type servers the rest the data would be to large. i go right to the source for this.. one of the root servers.

The security aspect is so no one can mess around with the DNS traffic and send you some place you do not want to go. this is going to slow the speed if the server has to go out on the internet to obtain the IP. if the proxy already has it cached then it's blazing saddles. this security is called DNSSEC..

I wanted to mention this to you because it sounds like you have a pretty complex setup with multiple physical machines. multiple physical devices. and a slew of virtual machines as well.

Might be worth looking into.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

Mastiff
Experienced User

Post by Mastiff » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:28 pm

Oh, sh1t! Sorry! I never got a warning about this long post of yours! :o I am using pfSense with DNS set up on that, and forwarding the queries to OpenDNS, which is working very fast and accurate for me. :) I have also set up DNS resolver with overrides that sends the internal pages in the house directly to the right place for that. That way it never leaves the internal network. That sped up that quite a lot too. So all in all the system's working great. :)

Except for one thing, which is why I got back to this thread: Sensibo errors out now. :( When I try to set temp, I am getting this error:

Code: Select all

21:24:56   Exception in thread Thread-823:
21:24:56   Traceback (most recent call last):
21:24:56     File "threading.pyc", line 801, in __bootstrap_inner
21:24:56     File "threading.pyc", line 754, in run
21:24:56     File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\SensiboSky\__init__.py", line 327, in do
21:24:56       mode.fan_level = fan_mode
21:24:56     File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\SensiboSky\pySensibo_Sky\__init__.py", line 352, in fan_level
21:24:56       self._pod.set_state(fanLevel=value)
21:24:56     File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\SensiboSky\pySensibo_Sky\__init__.py", line 939, in set_state
21:24:56       json.dumps(data)
21:24:56     File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\SensiboSky\pySensibo_Sky\__init__.py", line 756, in _patch
21:24:56       return json.loads(response.content.decode())
21:24:56     File "json\__init__.pyc", line 339, in loads
21:24:56     File "json\decoder.pyc", line 364, in decode
21:24:56     File "json\decoder.pyc", line 382, in raw_decode
21:24:56   ValueError: No JSON object could be decoded
21:24:56   
Is that something that you can see right away, or is it more difficult? I have asked Sensibo on their Facebook page if they have changed the API recently.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:58 pm

That looks as tho their server is not responding to the query. If it was an API change it would not throw a decode error for a json object. because their server would respond with a json object containing an error message.. That is simply that their server is responding but not with a json object. probably an HTTP error. and those would be generated by the HTTP service that returns the json object. it seems as tho their underlying server has an issue. Or maybe something changed in respect to their server addresses.. IDK I would have to code in some debugging routines to see what is going on. Probably best if you set up that whole api key thing and pass it over to me to run the tests with.

Hell I just got over a really bitch problem.. My VPN router (wan router) simply stopped working.. all the lights were on.. and last night i was drilling a 4.5" hole right where the wire is ran through the wall. so I though i may have nicked the wire. So running all kinds of test leads. and pinging.. router was lit up. but not responding. after hours of tinkering. I do not know why i I had the brilliant idea that maybe the wallwart (AC - DC adapter) was crap.. why would i have that thought is beyond me.. because the router was all lit up. well low and behold.. bad wallwart.. plugged in a new one.. and presto it came back to life.. low voltage screwing it up but not low enough to not have it try to do what it is supposed to do. LMAO. I hate issues like that.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

Mastiff
Experienced User

Post by Mastiff » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:07 am

Well, I have given up trying to understand why electronic stuff stops working without reason! I have had similar stuff happening too. :) But something weird just happened! I adjusted the temperature manually (which I have done several times the last few days because of this), only this time I clicked on the fan speed, saw that it was set to automatic and didn't change anything. And this time it just fixed it! :o But I'm sure this is something that can come back, so it would be nice to have a fix. I'm sending you a PM.