ZWave options for EG

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
jachin99
Experienced User

Re: ZWave options for EG

Post by jachin99 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:50 pm

I'll try it out when I get a chance but I can't look at it until next week at the earliest. Thanks again for helping out.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:55 pm

no worries m8. it's a ways off from being a functional prototype. I am still trying to get past the Stackless Python issue. which the includes didn't fix. So I am going to have to wait until i get an answer on the Cython GitHub issue tracker.

If it is something I am not able ot get around I will have to build an installer for it. kind of like EG's and create a socket connection to be able to control it.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:43 am

ok so here is a newer version.

I have hammered out

door locks
door lock logging
door lock locking and unlocking
switches binary
switches multilevel (dimmers)
alarm sensors
all other sensors
thermostat heat
thermostat cool
thermostat fan mode
thermostat fan state
thermostat operating mode
thermostat operating state
energy metering
keypads adding pass codes
device specific configuration settings
battery levels for the devices that have batteries
wake ups for battery operated devices
naming
categories
sub categories
routing categories
device role
device model
device type
device serial number
mfg id
mfg name
kind of device (beaming, listening)
healing the network
mapping the mesh network
neighbors

and you're gonna love this one. setting the RF output power

I am sure there is some stuff i forgot to mention.
Attachments
PyOpenZWave.zip
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 4 times

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:28 am

ok so an update on this.

I am not getting anywhere as far as getting the thing to compile on Stackless python. No help from the Cython GitHub repo. I had one answer which was that they had never tried to compile on Stackless python. which was not a whole hell of a lot of help there LOL.

So because if hearing crickets I have moved forward with making a stand alone program. I designed it to have a websocket API and also to run as a windows service. It supports multiple zwave USB sticks being plugged in at the same time. I have set it up so that it discovers the usb stick automatically. There are several manufacturers of zwave usb sticks I only have the gen 5 Aeotec stick. so if anyone has something other then that i need the hardware id for the device so i can add it to the discovery process. maybe i will have it read from a file so a user can add it if they want to.

But the service works well. as does the API it creates a new websocket server for each USB stick that is plugged in and it uses the com port number to set the websocket port number. so it's pretty simple in that respect. there is a logging websocket port that is opened as well. this is where all of the in detail information gets sent.

I still have to wrap it all up into a package so it can be installed.

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:19 am

Sounds great Kevin, thanks. Although I have not entered the world of Zwave yet (using RFXCOM with X10 protocol), this is going to make it very tempting to start trying it out!

ericross90

Post by ericross90 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:29 am

Ever since I found eventghost several years ago I have been always looking for ways to integrate off the shelf hardware with the powerful software control of eventghost. A native zwave plugin would be fantastic. Currently for zwave control I have an older aeotech zwave stick hooked up to the pc. A few years ago someone created a plugin for eventghost that works with a program called zvirtual scenes. I only have a few dimmers and switches. Polling devices for status is a bit slow but I have no need to know the status. Sending commands is immediate. I have voice control using an echo dot. I run the phillips hue software bridge in the background which sends events to the udp broadcast listener.

I originally created simple web pages to control things. In addition to lights I have the usb ir module for my media room equipment. While I can actually code a little bit in python, creating sliders and momentary buttons proved a bit much for me in java or html. So I found a wonderful application called net/io https://netioapp.com/en/. This makes things really easy to create custom menus ,sliders and buttons which I then send commands through to eventghosts broadcast listener.

I downloaded the beta test code but I was unable to get it started. Regular python27 is installed. I get a lot of import module errors. I would be happy to do some testing during the development of this project.

Eric

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:30 am

not a biggie as far as the other script goes. i didn't think about other module installs at all. I am working out the kinks on the installer for the service. Then fine tune the API. from there it's making the EG side of things. I am actually moving along pretty well with this.

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:05 am

Wow, this sure made my day!!!
If there would be an easy way to create web control surfaces with buttons and sliders to initiate actions in EG from webpages on Phone, tablets and PC's that would be absolutely fantastic.
Does this netio/app software allow receiving and displaying variables from EG?

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:44 pm

Kevin, is PyOpenZwave something that I have to compile, or can I just install python 2.7 on a machine, and run it from the interpreter?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:27 pm

just hold back on it for a day. the service is done. I am working on a client of sorts that will allow for management tasks. things that do not have to be added to EG

ericross90

Post by ericross90 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:08 pm

The net io app works on android phones, or Apple phones and tablets. Basically you create an account. You use the online program to create your control pages. Then you download the app to your device. Sign in and the configuration downloads. You can save multiple configurations and switch between them.

The app does accept two way data transfer.
Although I have never tried to set that up.

This is really the only program I have found that makes creating controls quickly and easily. Sliders, buttons on/off, momentary and repeat when held down are all supported. I have also used it for other raspberry pie and other micro controller projects.

If you want more information. I should create a different forum thread. I don't want to hijack this one as this one is for zwave.discussion.

Eric

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:03 am

ok so here goes ladies.

This is a compiled installer for the Service portion. I did up a really silly GUI to simply view the data hauling ass up the screen. You will understand what I am saying when you see it.

after the installer is done running it is going to automatically start the program. the installer may hang at this point. you can kill the process if it does.

close the GUI that opened up and go into your services and stop the pyOpenZwave service.

open the GUI (it's in the start menu) then start the service.

This will spit out the data from the very start. the top window is showing all of the debugging data. the bottom is the actual API websocket. the API is not done yet. If i can get someone to copy the data from those 2 windows and send it to me in a PM that would be appreciated. This will allow me to make sure that I have all of the node end of things done.

You can download the installer at
http://www.eventghost.net/downloads/pyO ... _Setup.exe

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:03 pm

ericross90 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:08 pm
The net io app works on android phones, or Apple phones and tablets. Basically you create an account. You use the online program to create your control pages. Then you download the app to your device. Sign in and the configuration downloads. You can save multiple configurations and switch between them.

The app does accept two way data transfer.
Although I have never tried to set that up.

This is really the only program I have found that makes creating controls quickly and easily. Sliders, buttons on/off, momentary and repeat when held down are all supported. I have also used it for other raspberry pie and other micro controller projects.

If you want more information. I should create a different forum thread. I don't want to hijack this one as this one is for zwave.discussion.

Ericz
Mmmmmm, it appears this netio.app software requires an internet connection to the developer's website every few days and will stop working without it:
https://netioapp.com/en/forum/topic/1916/
I am sorry, but this is just no good. If the developer decides to close shop (or gets run over by a bus?), all the work you have put in it is gone too.

Kevin, you mentioned that you have created (web?) control surfaces for controlling stuff around your house. What did you use for that? Is it something that people without coding knowledge can understand and, if so, is it something you could share with us?

I also remember one of our forum members that made a web control surface developer tool and was thinking about selling. I believe he abandoned the idea when little interest was expressed on the forum. At the time I did not realize how difficult it is to create good looking, easy to set-up and well-working web control pages. I wonder if his idea could be revived if he reads this.......

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:05 pm

Ps: I agree that maybe this belongs in a separate, dedicated thread, although it may apply to whatever Kevin is cooking up????

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:45 pm

this conversation is good here as it does very much pertain to how control is going to be handled with this ZWave service.

I did not set up web page front ends on my system. I used EventGhost in a client server setup. I have the client EG's draw custom controls on the screens of the machines the clients are installed on. I use EG for this because it is really easy to make changes on the clients if i need to change the code. because all of the clients run an identical copy of EG i have them all load the same save file. so if i need to make a code change i only have to do it one time. I also liked having the overlays on top of anything else that is running. It's all for remote control use, scrolling multi layer menus and such.

i know enough jscript to be able to modify already existing code but making something from scratch is not my area. Yokel made pretty cool web interface located HERE from my talking with him it seems as tho it is something that can be made to work with other things very easily