MCE Remote Plugin error and stopped logging after upgrade to Windows 10

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
seth.feinberg

MCE Remote Plugin error and stopped logging after upgrade to Windows 10

Post by seth.feinberg » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:18 pm

EG version 0.4.1.r1722 (but also tried 0.5.0-rc3 and a few earlier version of the 0.4.1 variety)
Windows 10 Pro 64
MCE Remote Plugin (NOT the Vista / 7 variety)

I've upgraded 2 HTPC's to Windows 10 and on both I get the following error on Startup and when I unclick, then re-enable "Disable HID Service" in the MCE Remote Plugin configuration:
EventGhost: MCE Remote Plugin
The plugin was not able to change the state of the HID service. You must be logged in as administrator to change the state.
EventGhost logs SOME of my Logitech remote's (Harmony 900) keypresses in the log. Specifically, and unsurprisingly, it logs the buttons that are mapped to actual Keyboard presses and NOT the buttons logged to Windows MCE Player (the remote uses 2 devices: Microsoft Keyboard and Microsoft Media Player - MCE, e.g. The Directional arrows are mapped to Keyboard Up, Down etc, the Play/Pause buttons are mapped to MCE Play/Pause).

I'm guessing this isn't strictly an EventGhost problem but I was hoping someone on here smarter or better with Windows than I had the same issue and could point me to a solution. I thought maybe it was a Driver issue, but it's happening on 2 different IR receivers (one hard wired and one USB) and the receiver is still receiving the Key's mapped to keyboard presses so its def receiving some inputs. Also I read that the driver needed is automatically installed in Windows 10 and Windows Device Manager is reporting no errors and telling me the driver is up to date. The error itself obviously sounds like a permission issue, but my user is the ONLY user on the computer and definitely has administrator privileges (though, full disclosure, if I open up a cmd window some commands won't fire if I haven't right-clicked and opened as administrator, despite my user being administrator).

Any ideas?

jachin99
Experienced User

Re: MCE Remote Plugin error and stopped logging after upgrade to Windows 10

Post by jachin99 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:55 pm

Try clicking on File - Restart EventGhost as an Administrator, then disabling the HID service. I never got this working because I use the newer version. Why did you choose the older plugin over the newer one?

seth.feinberg

Post by seth.feinberg » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:09 pm

Wait, MCE Remote is the old one and not MCE Remote Win Vista 7?

I will try this "restart as administrator" tonight in any event and report back...

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:03 pm

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to control windows media center or use a MCE remote to control another program?

seth.feinberg

Post by seth.feinberg » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:04 pm

So "Restart as Administrator" did indeed get rid of the warning about changing the HID service and being administrator (after a reset), but unfortunately the buttons that aren't the Microsoft Keyboard are still not registering in EventGhost.

I am trying to control Kodi. This used to work...

I'll have to double-check in the harmony software but I just remembered that I switched from MCE commands to random "ghost" devices to avoid collisions between 2 Kodi/HTPC's clients on the same IR blaster. I think i just picked random Receivers (a Pioneer and something else I didn't have one of in my setup) and just mapped them to Kodi commands. However this still worked just fine before I upgraded to Windows 10 and the IR Receiver is still able to read SOME commands (if only just Keyboard presses)...

Thanks for taking an interest!

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:41 pm

having administrative privileges and being the Administrator are not the same thing. the only way to be the Administrator is to login as the Administrator. having the privileges does not encompass all of the thing the Administrator is able to do.

also.
follow the directions here and see if it makes a difference
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9658
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:46 pm

seth.feinberg wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:09 pm
Wait, MCE Remote is the old one and not MCE Remote Win Vista 7?

I will try this "restart as administrator" tonight in any event and report back...
Yes, the Win 7/Vista plugin is newer. The original was designed for Xp I believe. What remote code-set do you have your remote to use? Is it MCE? if so, you might have that remote programmed to use the newer Vista/7 codes while EG expects XP codes because you are using the older plugin. Kodi & keyboard.xml both expect a certain code-set so not every remote will work with their remote software right out of the box. For example, I have a remote that sends HID codes, and when I tried to edit keyboard.xml to suit my new remote nothing changed. What I would do is re-enable the HID service, uninstall the older MCE plugin, Install the win 7/Vista plugin using the instructions from around these boards, double check that the logitech remote is set to execute win 7/vista codes, and see if you get your events logged that way. If that doesn't work we can try using the generic HID plugin, or you can program your remote to send some other codeset that both your IR receiver, and EG can read. There are still lots of options, and I have been down this exact same path. As a matter of fact, your same problem is the reason I ever started using EG, and I've helped out quite a few others on here with the same issue. As long as your patient, and persistent I'm sure we can make this work.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Something I forgot to add. The newer plugin requires you to install a new service. If you choose to go this route then try logging in as an admin and running EG as admin. I've worked with the newer plugin but I haven't tinkered too much with the old one

seth.feinberg

Post by seth.feinberg » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:53 pm

Thanks for the info guys! I can't say I fully understand all of what you suggest, but I'll def take the time to figure it out. I did NOT know that the newer plugin was the Win 7 one, that is good info. I haven't messed with any of the xml files. Are you talking about the Kodi userdata files or more specifically eventghost xml files?

As I stated before, this used to work before I upgraded to Win10, so not sure which lever caused it to stop working, but I double checked my Logitech Harmony mappings last night. One of my HTPC's (both have EventGhost running, different IR receivers and experiencing the same issues) has a random Pioneer receiver as the "dummy" item and the other is a Sony reciever as a the "dummy". I did it this way because both HTPC's are on the same IR blaster and using Eventghost I was able to avoid collisions between the 2 when sending Kodi commands (and, more importantly, Wake/Sleep commands). I'm sorry I'm really not sure what KIND of commands its sending, but I know that WHEN it DID work, MCE.XXXX would show up in the EventGhost log whenever one of the buttons was pressed on the Harmony 900.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:34 am

Have you had any time to look into this further? Something I just remembered is that there are actually 3 plugins with MCE in the name. There is MCE under software control, which is meant to SEND commands to windows media center, and then there are two separate Micorsoft MCE plugins under input devices meant to RECIEVE information when you press a button on your MCE remote. If It will make things more clear I can walk you through setting this up but I think your first step needs to be removing the old plugin, and enabling the HID service. To check and see which services are running go to control panel and type services in the search box on the top right of the screen. You should see something pop up that reads check local services under Administrative tools. Select this, and you will get a list of running services. From here scroll down until you see Human Interface Device (HID) service, and right click it, go to properties and choose Automatic under the startup type drop down box. You should also start the service. Don't forget to delete the old plugin from EG. From here restart your machine, and you should be back to where you started in terms of EG, and MCE plugins.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:31 am

ok quick rundown. the MCE remote is for Windows XP. and it has nothing to do with the ehome drivers. The way XP remotes worked is via keyboard emulation. The MCE remote for windows vista+ uses the Microsoft ehome drivers which does not use keyboard emulation but instead does a translation of the IR codes. the reason why the alternate MCE IR service has to be installed is because it acts like a man in the middle and grabs those IR codes as they are being passed from the driver to Windows This is the reason why the remote appears to have stopped working after you install the service.

The harmony remotes tend to have more buttons then the ehome driver handles. so it uses a combination of ehome drivers and keyboard emulation and also mouse emulation to function. The issue with Logitech is they stopped doing anything with their API I do not know why this is from their API portal for the harmony remote.
The current version of our API allows you to start and stop Harmony Activities, but doesn't currently grant access to control volume, play/pause, channel selection, nor to integrate control of your product from the Harmony remote.
This message has been up for over a year now.

Now that being stated. with the advent of windows 10 this caused all kinds of driver issues with the release of build 1607. Windows has modified the driver signing in a manner that truly sucks. You are not allowed to install any driver without it being signed. Now from my understanding the driver will look like it installed properly. and in some cases show no indication of a malfunction but it will not function. My recommendation to you is to follow the directions I posted earlier to get Windows into a state where you will be able to install drivers that have not been signed. Uninstall and then reinstall all of the drivers for your remote. and then go into EventGhost and install any plugins that you used before to control the remote. and see if that solves your problem.

When you do this do not do it in your existing Configuration tree. create a new tree and save it as a blank. then add the plugins one by one testing them for function. do not install anything other then the remote plugins and the HID plugin. We want to make sure there is nothing that could be possibly interfering.

and you have me lost as to 2 computer sharing the same blaster but having different receivers but they are dummy items. so I am completely confused as to what your setup is. It might be best for you to send me a copy of your EG save file in a PM. this way I can take a look see at the setup and get a better determination of what is going on.

seth.feinberg

Post by seth.feinberg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the extra color.

@kgschlosser I'll try to PM my EG save file tonight, but let me attempt to explain once more. I have 2 PC's on a single IR blaster, HTPC and a PC that's used for lots of things and as a backup HTPC when the main one is having issues. Since they are on the same blaster I couldn't just use Kodi commands and Sleep/Wake commands cause it would effect both of them. So, in the Logitech Harmony configuration I added 2 fake "dummy" devices, a Pioneer and Sony Receiver that I DO NOT own. I added one to the HTPC activity and the other to the other's PC activity. Then I just mapped random commands to various buttons on the Harmony remote and read them in Eventghost, then map them to Kodi commands.

And I should've said this earlier but I think the link you put in your previous post is a dead hyperlink (the one that ostensibly teaches me how to allow Win10 to install drivers that aren't signed).

@jachin99 I did install the new plugin (the 7/vista one) and I think I installed the service correctly. But the non keyboard commands on the remote still were not being picked by EventGhost. Full disclosure. I didn't uninstall the other one first or do any of the more thurough suggestions for removal that you suggested so I wanted to carve out a bit more time to try that first. I will report back as soon as I have but let me make sure I understand the process you want me to implement:
  • 1)Uninstall old plugin
  • 2)Restart
  • 3)Install new Plugin
  • 4)check for Running Services in Administrative Tools and make sure Automatic is checked for startup
  • 5)Reset again
  • 6)Then try this "allow installation of unsigned drivers" thing @kgschlosser suggested?

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:53 pm

I'm a little confused also about how you hooked up one blaster to two PCs. Every IR receiver I have seen only has one usb cord. Does yours have two USB cords or are you using the small headphone jack like output on the IR receiver to connect one IR receiver to two machines?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:48 pm

Holy cow! I am so sorry for that. I do not know what that other link was supposed to go to.
I do apologize for that.

I have updated the link. I have had many people report success because of those directions. and the majority of the people were having issues with remotes. That is the reason why I am pressing for you to give it a shot, because it's success rate is pretty high. Also it is good to know how to do because not all drivers for all devices are signed and to have the knowledge to get them installed is a good thing. so make sure you bookmark that for the future

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:55 pm

one other thing. in order for you to send that file to me you are going to have to zip it first. or change the extension to txt instead of egtree or xml.