Media Portal IPTV Server?

You can Post Talk Chat about anything here. Anything but religion/bullshit & politics/stupidity
jachin99
Experienced User

Media Portal IPTV Server?

Post by jachin99 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:41 am

I am looking at broadcasting various sources (In particular USTV Now) in an IPTV format but I don't know much about it. I am thinking is that if I can turn traditional web media (Podcasts, etc.) along with some subscriptions (USTV Now possibly) into m3u streams, then I might be able to watch said streams in Windows Media Center. This introduces my second possible issue of the DVB link WMC client not connecting to the media portal IPTV server. I plan to use Media Portal Version 1, and I get the rest of my cable TV into WMC via cable, and an HD Homerun. I'm looking for initial thoughts from anyone who runs media portal. I'll likely be using Media Portal's TV 4 Home for Windows Home Server 2011, and it runs MP version 1.4 I believe. Thanks.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Media Portal IPTV Server?

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:00 pm

Media Portal is what I use. it's a modified version of it but it does everything I need. PVR, TV server, coupled with MyMovies to handle my movie library, Retro Arch and Emulators plugin for MP handle all of my video games. EG handles all of the remotes and injects the commands into media portal. and because of the events generated from different tasks in media portal I have macros for raising and lowering the lights. I have EG handle the things that are not in media portal. Like controlling my lighting system. and security cameras. thermostats. things like that. It works very well. The PVR server portion of media portal tho it is a pain to initially get up and running properly has been bullet proof since. My only suggestion is using an SSD to store the live TV data. If you have multiple shows recording at the same time along with multiple reads. You will need to have a RAID array that has a pretty substantial buffer. and also a large battery backup so you can enable write cache, without the battery backup if a power outage occurs there is data corruption
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

jachin99
Experienced User

Re: Media Portal IPTV Server?

Post by jachin99 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:29 am

I had to give up on this one but I still think its an option worth exploring for two reasons. One is it has the potential to put Live tv back into WMC on current builds of windows ten, and two for someone with the knowledge it probably isn't too hard to fix. I asked about updating the TV 4 Home or MP WMC client on their forums, and the author himself chimed in and said he wouldn't do it. The code is on sourceforge I believe.