One project done. On to the next

You can Post Talk Chat about anything here. Anything but religion/bullshit & politics/stupidity
kgschlosser
Site Admin

One project done. On to the next

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:36 am

Holy smokes.

I just finished putting in a new water pump, intercooler, thermostat, purge valve solenoid, bov, map sensor, trifecta ECU flash, adjusted the waste gate. and all i have to say is holy shit! 25 psi of boost. It has got to be some where near 400 HP now. water pump was a pain in the ass tho. it was driven by the timing chain and was mounted under the turbo with a pipe that came off the back of it and ran all the way to the back of the block where the thermostat housing was. and I had to take a hell of a lot of the car apart to get to the thermostat housing. 2008 pontiac solstice GXP < 40k on it.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

jachin99
Experienced User

Re: One project done. On to the next

Post by jachin99 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:27 pm

Sweet, now where are the pics!!

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:33 pm

i'll go take some now. there is no hood on the car at the moment.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:49 pm

Hoods just hide all of the pretty stuff anyway

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:57 pm

that is true, but unfortunatly i do have to have mine on because my headlights are attached to it. :cry:

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:05 pm

here are some photos
IMG_20170710_095338.jpg
IMG_20170710_095424.jpg
IMG_20170710_095505.jpg
IMG_20170710_095453.jpg
IMG_20170710_095435.jpg
IMG_20170710_095341.jpg

OK this next photo is the turbo. under/behind this is where the water pump and thermostat house was.
IMG_20170710_095525.jpg
you can kind of see the new pump from this photo. it is the brand new piece of metal in there. (it will be cleaning later. i plan on washing the engine down. it was a pretty messy job)
IMG_20170710_095402.jpg

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:10 pm

I also removed the heat shield from the turbo. as much as these things stop heat from migrating to other components they also trap the heat in. Which would cause the turbo to run hotter. So I made a heat resistant blanket if you will from aluminum tape and fiberglass mat that is what you see in the photos all of that silver stuff. this keeps the heat from the turbo from melting the main wiring harness the power steering reservoir (which is going to get removed as i do not use power steering and have it disconnected) things like that. it works perfect. not even the slightest bit warm under it.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:18 pm

Thats a nice looking car but it doesn't look like they leave much room under the hood for your tools or hands. I always thought those were really cool cars when they came out, and I always wanted one. Its a shame pontiac went under because they started to make some really nice stuff.
On an unrelated side note, the computer guy stereotype really has it all wrong. //Edited for ranting

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:47 pm

Ya know the funny thing is they put v8 corvette engines in these things. so if ya think the space is tight now that would have to be really squeezing it in.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:49 pm

jachin99 wrote:On an unrelated side note, the computer guy stereotype really has it all wrong.
what do you mean by that?

And this is actually my second one. the first i got and sold it when i decided to move to Colorado. needed an SUV to transport stuff in. it was exactly the same as the first one I had in 2007 except this one has a turbo in it. But i stole this car from an older couple. They wanted rid of it. and it was in the middle of winter. snow on the ground and all. car had 20K on it for mileage I got it almost 3 years ago. and now it has 38K or there about. and I paid 10,000 USD for it. Right place right time. so I was extremely happy to take it off their hands. There are alot of people that have not even seen this car before.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:09 am

My wife always teases me about being the nerdy computer guy but everyone I've worked around in IT/IT security industry has actually been really knowledgeable about working with their hands also. Sometimes people think that working with computers makes you averse to labor.
Last edited by jachin99 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:13 am

LMAO. that is the truth.

but while i was sitting in my chair in front of my computer doing my nerd thing this is what i did......

at the beginning of this year in January. the coldest month -20 degrees. I am outside. digging a 35 foot long 4 foot wide and 3 foot tall tunnel through frozen clay with a small hand held pick axe took me almost 6 weeks to do. Now just imagine what that tunnel looks like when you make a nerd/IT guy digit.. walls and floor are smooth and straight. and level.. LOL... all because I had to lift the addition to my house up and the frozen ground made it so that i didn't have to worry about jacks sinking. so I could properly attach it to the house. I had 3 people working on the project. Me, Myself and I. Now i am in the process of digging out an old rock wall that had collapsed and/or gotten buried. and it's 130 foot long and 6 foot high. with 3 people and 1 tool. Me, Myself, and I. and a shovel. beginning of this year I moved my whole house. had to fix the damage the addition had caused to the main part of the house when it sank. my house is 30 foot wide and 50 foot long and 3 stories tall. and what did i have for tools. A hammer, a small 5 lb hand held sledge, 4 8 ton bottle jacks 1 12 ton bottle jack. 1 8 ton come along, and 2 very large ratchet straps. 4" wide 40' long and have a 5 ton rating each and of course the shovel and that small pick axe. and now my over 50 year old house is only 1/8" out of level across almost 40 feet. and You guessed it my skilled 3 laborers were Me, Myself, and I. I replaced a 2 story 30' long wall the whole thing framing and all. the whole HVAC system I replaced. and i mean the whole thing. ducts and all. all new plumbing, all new electrical, all new gas lines, new water heater(tankless) built my movie theatre, installed one very large battery backup that can hold 1/2 of the house up for 24 hours without power. rebuilt the 3 story tall spiral stair case. remodeled 2 bathrooms. in the process of rebuilding 2 decks. and also finishing an addition of 350 sqft to the formal living room. remodeled my office. and i even repaired my own car.

and I only know how to do one thing and only one thing. i know how to read.

I have a brain tumor, detached tendons in my forearm, my left ankle is mostly screws pins and metal plates. i have pretty bad arthritis. bone spurs in my neck. and spinal stenosis. and if i ever hear someone say "I can't" or "I don't know how" i simply want to choke the life from them. (not really but wouldn't mind beating them down with the yellow pages).

and there is my rant. and a little incite into why i am somewhat "off"

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:38 pm

Now here are are my programming tools. Can't ya tell I have those "typical" I.T. hands. Only type with em.
Attachments
IMG_20170714_153410.jpg
IMG_20170714_153356.jpg