And the data migration begins

You can Post Talk Chat about anything here. Anything but religion/bullshit & politics/stupidity
kgschlosser
Site Admin

And the data migration begins

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:07 am

i have finally decided to on take the very nerve racking thing of moving all of my personal data to a new drive array. I really do hate doing this like this due to the excessive work and heat the HDD's have to do. something could go seriously wrong. I have a couple of house fans blowing into the server chassis to help with the heat but when you have 20 drives moving data for about 8 hours they get a wee bit toasty. drives are riding right at 49c pushing them right to their thermal limit.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: And the data migration begins

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:31 pm

another 10 hours and this thing will be done moving the files... then to build the new array and move the data back. and add the drives used as temporary storage to the new array.

m19brandon
Experienced User

Post by m19brandon » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:35 am

Not fun, when ever I re-baseline a full to the backup drives (3-4 hours of copying). The closet feels like a sauna :D

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:50 am

yeah well it just got interesting... drive failed in the original array. so I am going to have to swap it out. and do a rebuild and then start over.

BAH!