don't know / can't decide what "EG computer" to get

You can Post Talk Chat about anything here. Anything but religion/bullshit & politics/stupidity
skribb
Experienced User

don't know / can't decide what "EG computer" to get

Post by skribb » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:13 pm

hi everyone!

so.... i want a computer dedicated to running EG which will function as my main hub, instead of running EG on the same computer i use to play games and watch movies etc.

it needs to be battery powered so that a power outage won't cut off my alarm system (door and window sensors).

so i'm thinking i might as well just buy some used laptop for this. or should i get a mini PC with a UPS? i feel like the second option would be more expensive, but if i use a laptop permanently connected to DC power i feel like the battery will run down in like a year...

someone please nudge me in the right direction :D
Automation is life.

Win7 64bit
EG: v0.5.0-rc4

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: don't know / can't decide what "EG computer" to get

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:20 am

Oh dude I just wrote a whole thing about this.. let me go and find it.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: don't know / can't decide what "EG computer" to get

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:33 am

here.. you have to read down a bit on this port.. you will see where I suggested some different solutions.

viewtopic.php?p=54410#p54410

It should only run you about 60-80 USD for a dedicated EG machine.
I would run Windows 7 x64 on it for best performance. You might even consider running Windows Thin PC on it if you have less then 4GB of ram. I wan walk you through how to get Windows Thin PC up to snuff so you can run applications on it. It has a small footprint of only 2.8gb of drive space and the memory use is about 600mb. It is only 32 bit tho which should not really be an issue.

It is not built to run all applications. there are several missing pieces. you can install these missing pieces by using a standard windows 7 install media and dism
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image