I really do hate reinstalling windows

You can Post Talk Chat about anything here. Anything but religion/bullshit & politics/stupidity
kgschlosser
Site Admin

I really do hate reinstalling windows

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:42 pm

OK so I finally have done the "dirty" deed and reinstalled Windows. after 8 years of my workstation being on almost 24/7 and the constant installing of apps and uninstalling of apps. and the annoyance of having to always try and make space because I was riding the 1gb left on the drive all the time. I finally decided what I needed to actually start using that new SSD i got 2 years ago. Windows needed a do over as well. I have a Windows 7 Installation "snapshot" if you will it's actually a windows installer image that has been highly modified by myself. So all of my drivers are pre installed (i did have to update them) and most of the core software I use is already pre installed. and I have removed all of the crap in Windows 7 I do not use. This has made life really easy..

The pain in the ass part are the windows updates I have not slip streamed and then sorting through and organizing all of the user data. I have stuff that is almost 20 years old that has been moved from machine to machine. Since google has bumped up the amount of space available on their "drive" cloud servers I may move everything there. I have to check and see how much space they now offer.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

taha16

Re: I really do hate reinstalling windows

Post by taha16 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:32 pm

Wow 8 long years. I am also running same windows for about 4 years and have no intention of reinstalling because after finshing my hard working routine in office i want my things arranged so that i can goahead and start doing my freelance work. :-)
Last edited by taha16 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I currently work as Web Developer at Toronto Lofts.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:31 pm

One of my servers has been up and running for the better part of 12 years. in the last 6 years it has been turned off maybe 10 times 6 times for the "yearly" dusting which I really don't even have to do that because the air is filtered. and the rest for hardware additions/changes. I do have to say that I love Noctua Fans They are expensive but they last a really long time. my CPU heat sink and fan in that server is bout 10 years old. still going. I have replaced all of the fans with Noctua right down to the 40mm fans on my 12 channel RAID controller. I have to do some investigating to see if I can modify the fan setup on my ATI video card in my workstation. when I upgraded the HDD I also gave it a cleaning. I went to blow the dust out of the fans on the video card and out came one of the blades. when i turned the thing on horrid sound. So i had to break a blade off directly across from it so it was better balanced.. didn't have to push on the blade that hard to snap it off.. Thank god it is the secondary fan and doesn't turn on all to often.

which reminds me I have to fill out some paperwork for the class action lawsuit against AMD.

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:15 pm

Well Windows forced me to upgrade eventually ... since support for newer programs & games decline on older system...

Nothing really gained except some fresher looking UI & more support ...

Made it from 2014 to 2019 with 8.1 ;)

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:25 am

I am still running Windows 7. Tho it is a highly modified version..

I am going to put some food on the table for your brain..

How did Microsoft make their hundreds of billions of dollars???

From the sale of Windows....

OK so now how is the company supposed to make money if they are giving that product away for free???

hmmm.... selling your personal data?? why not get paid over and over again during the continued use of the product instead of only getting paid a single time... That is hat they are doing. There are things that cannot be turned off in Windows 10.... Makes you wonder why..

Medy
Experienced User

Post by Medy » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:13 pm

true dat ... its very agressive on that end now ... also some of the preinstalled stuff spawns some problems like the microsoft store ... I had to disable some stuff in order to get python running properly in the command line .. just becuase there was some preinstalled stuff from windows .

The menus and stuff are mostly changed ... so it takes some getting used to ...