killer pvr software

You can Post Talk Chat about anything here. Anything but religion/bullshit & politics/stupidity
zian
Site Admin

killer pvr software

Post by zian » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:02 pm

I found it. ;)
https://sichbopvr.com/.

It's an awesome bit of kit.
I just started using Win10 and tried many PVR "solutions" and this one just worked.

This guy is my new coding HERO...
https://sichbo.ca/
(((Simon)))
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

zian
Site Admin

Re: killer pvr software

Post by zian » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:05 pm

zian wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:02 pm
I found it. ;)
https://sichbopvr.com/.

It's an awesome bit of kit.
I just started using Win10 and tried many PVR "solutions" and this one just worked.

This guy is my new coding HERO...
https://sichbo.ca/
(((Simon)))
Never mind.
I am going with NextPVR instead.
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:50 pm

Have you tried Media Portal?
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:17 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:50 pm
Have you tried Media Portal?
Yes I did. I also tried it in the past.
Not sure why I didn't stick with it.
Maybe it was too "meaty" for me. Bloaty.
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:10 am

It can appear to have a lot of bloat. But if you really start looking at it you will see that it really does not. It is written in c# so the code is super fast. and it has a really good client server setup. so if you have an HTPC in your bedroom and one in your living room you can share the information between them.

The true power of it is with the client server portions... I have a 3 tuner network attached tuner. it manages who is on what tuner. as an example if i have 2 shows recording and I am watching TV in the bedroom and my wife wants to watch something in the living room it is going to tell her there are no tuners available.

It also keeps the cost down. Because you only have to build a single machine that has some go to it. because only a single machine handles all of the recording and transcoding. the others can be very basic machines because they do not handle anything other then playing the transcoded stream from the server. even the time shifting (pausing and playing of live TV) is all done on the server.

I have messed about with Kodi. I find it to be extremely unstable and because it does not have a true database to manage any libraries and no built in PVR support I found that it is only a shell and relies on plugins to work. Now that would be fine if the plugins were quality control tested. and Kodi was designed to not allow a plugin to bump heads with other plugins causing Kodi to crash (which is very common).

There are other HTPC solutions out there but if you want any of the live TV capabilities they charge you for it either monthly or yearly. And from what I have seen is that if you have a problem with it they will patch the program at their leisure to fix the problem. Not really what I would expect from a small software development company. If I am paying for something every month it had better work or get fixed pretty quickly. And the issue with the free ones is they tnd to lack features and adding things or fixing things takes a really long time.

I have found MediaPortal to be the fastest running HTPC software made. It also covers just about every possible thing you can want to do inside of an HTPC platform. It has a good community that helps with problems. II only speak from my own personal experience. But I have a dedicated server and
5 HTPC's attached to it. over 5000 movies stored locally, it handles the 3 tuners and I have just about every single video game made (gaming consoles) up to playstation 3. I couldn't even tell you how many thousands there are. It's a lot I will say that. I can watch movies, TV's as well as play video games to any device attached to my network (this includes devices VPN that are not on physically attached to my network but are attached via a VPN).

It took quite a bit of tinkering to get everything running correctly. after that it has been running smooth. and there is also an eventghost plugin for it.

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:57 pm

Well. I tried MediaPortal again yesterday.
It didn't last long. If I could have found a skin (quickly & easily) that would have allowed me to only show TV features at the home screen I might have kept it installed a few hours longer.

Back to NextPVR for me.
It does just what I want.

Now I wish, again, that VLC or MPC-HC would support EDL type files. Commercial skipping. O
h well. NPVR does that ;)
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:01 pm

whatever raises your flag there buddy.
I personally like media portal because of the client server type of setup. I did have to do a huge amount of modification to it so i could store all of the duplicate client files like the channel icons all on the server. But i also like the fact that it handles my video game library as well as the movies, music, photos and recorded content.

SimonB

Post by SimonB » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:49 am

Hi Kevin

Just found this thread. I noticed your setup used Mediportal with Eventghost. Can I ask what version of Mediaportal you are using? I tried the latest 1.22 version recently and I couldn't get the Eventghost plugins to work with it. Eventghost seemed fine but the plugins at the Mediaportal end seemed to be very out of date and refused to load. I wonderd if you had had any success. I have been using Mediaportal for years and love it, certainly compared with Kodi. As I said over on another thread just recently, it works like an appliance so my wife can ignore the fact that it's a computer and just treat it like a regular TV. My adoption of Eventghost to try to get a bit more sophistcation into automation and remote control is a new thing though and I'd love it if I could get them to work together.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:25 pm

OoOo I am running a highly modified version of Media Portal. I do not recall what version I am using. I am running the client server setup.

What is the error you are getting with the plugin? have you tried mentioning something in the forums for media portal?. They are pretty fast at coming up with a solution. I know the project is stagnant but there are folks on there that help. And Media Portal just runs. and I think they have a mentality of "if it works then leave it alone" LOL

Kodi is the most unstable HTPC software out there and it has next to nothing built into it. it is just a GUI and nothing more. and when you have a program that gains all of it's functionality from extensions and plugins those extensions and plugins need to be quality tested and checked. the biggest issue with Kodi is not Kodi it's self. It's the plugins bang heads with one another and they usually do so in a manner that more often that not forces you to start over again... No Thanks, Kodi = HTPC software for people that want "Free" cable TV. I am ok with spending 60 bucks on a network attached multi tuner and throwing 35 bucks a month at the cable company to get 200+ channels to not have the headache of dealing with the software issues and also potential legal issues. Actually my cable is cheaper then they because the cable company has to rent my tuner from me. I do not remember what the credit is. I think it is something like 25 bucks. and the m-card is free as per US federal regulations. just have to pay for the programming.

SimonB

Post by SimonB » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:18 am

Haha

I dug around a bit on the forums and found an updated version of the Eventghostplus plugin for MediaPortal and that loaded OK. The one that is available on the MediaPortal page deosn't work any more, which is disappointing and makes MediaPortal look bad but I am glad I am back with MediaPortal. I much prefer the interface.

So the rebuild of my media set-up is coming along.

One issue I came across that I wondered if you had met or perhaps solved a different way was I was having difficulty with restoring MediaPortal from its tray icon. I used to use IRServerSuite which was integrated into MediaPortal quite well. That would happily restore MP from the tray using a remote button. IRSS is not being actively developed any more - although it does still work - so I switched to Eventghost. EG's MP plugin does not seem to have the ability to restore MP and the Windows actions such as sending a SYSCOMMAND message won't work when a program is minimised to the tray. I can send SYSCOMMAND and WMCOMMAND messages happily to other windows when they are active because I can make those windows active using findwindow. That doesn't work if they are minimised to the tray and I can't specify the target window sor the sendmessage action.

In the end I've cobbled together a workaround whereby I am running AutoHotkey just for this purpose. AHK is able to find programs that are in the tray and can send SYSCOMMAND messages to specific windows and I can run the AHK script from Eventghost. That seems a bit of a palaver though. I'm sure there must be a better way of doing that using just Eventghost. Is there any way of activating a tray icon using EG? I'd like to use EG to control the whole setup, audio amps, sources, TV etc. One thing it needs to be able to do is switch between applications so I can use PowerDVD for DVDs and Blurays and switch back to MediaPortal for live TV.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:04 am

you can use the Find Window action and target the menu option in the tray icon to restore media portal and send the enter key to it using the Send Keys action.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:05 am

how come you are not using the internal player in media portal to play the DVD's?

SimonB

Post by SimonB » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:30 am

Because MP won't play encrypted Blurays, in other words just about any movie in Bluray format. So if I need PowerDVD for Blurays I might as well use PowerDVD for all movies. One interface to learn, one set of remote codes to set up and one wife that doesn't have to think whether the disk she's putting in is a Bluray or a DVD because she's probably not aware there's a difference.

To be honest I quite like the PowerDVD cinema mode interface. It's clean and it just works and with the power of Eventghost I can switch between MP for TV and PowerDVD for movies on disk at will.

Thanks for the tip on tray icons. I didn't have any success with that but perhaps I need to dig a bit deeper. I'm not entirely sure I understand how to target the menu option but I'll have a play. I have a day to myself tomorrow while my wife is at the races so this is an opportunity to muck about with things that would otherwise get in her way if I did them in the evenings - playing with the lights / "using" the TV / changing what the remotes do / switching off the power etc. Trouble is I have about a week's worth of those things to do and I've still got to do her tax yet! Wish me luck!

SimonB

Post by SimonB » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:20 pm

Update...

Well I dug deeper into the Findwindow action and sure enough I should have looked for hidden items (I thought I did! Clearly not) I never did work out what selecting the item on the tray menu meant but making the main but hidden MediaPortal window active using Findwindow and then sending a SYSCOMMAND maximise message to that window does the job.

So I can now restore MP with Eventghost - hooray!

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:03 pm

So you got it to work!

Trust me when I say that whatever you are thinking of in terms of automations EG can do it. The phrase "It can't be done" is not in my vocabulary.. LOL