Windows server system repair disc question

You can Post Talk Chat about anything here. Anything but religion/bullshit & politics/stupidity
jachin99
Experienced User

Windows server system repair disc question

Post by jachin99 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:38 pm

I want to migrate the C drive of my windows home server 2011 box to a bigger hard drive. On my new drive, I have created a full metal backup of the existing C drive. Can I use a system repair disc I have created ton that same server to restore the backup on my new drive to that same drive, and migrate my data that way. I have tried using Apricorn EZ gig IV to migrate my data, which has worked fine on windows seven in the past, but the software will not recognize my drives on the server box, even after formatting the new drive, and assigning it a drive letter. Thanks.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Windows server system repair disc question

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:31 pm

as far as windows server goes you can do a hardware level ghost of the drive. but this is going to make a partition on the new drive that is exactly the same size. Now you can expand the partition. but the risk of something going wrong is extremely high and you can end up losing everything very easily.

Or plug in the new drive and use the Microsoft Easy Transfer wizard/app to move everything for you. :D
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image