I would like some opinions.

You can Post Talk Chat about anything here. Anything but religion/bullshit & politics/stupidity
kgschlosser
Site Admin

I would like some opinions.

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:06 am

I have been working on my house and my latest project is my hallway. This is what i have done. I moved the main load bearing wall of the house to widen the hallway.

This is how the layout was originally
hallway2.png

This is what i turned it into.
hallway1.png
hallway3.png
new_layout_full_view.png
But I am in the process now of laying a new floor in the hallway and I would like to have some thoughts on it. Does it look good or not.
IMG_20180410_213557.jpg
IMG_20180410_213636.jpg
In these photos the tile has not been "glued" they are only sitting there just to show what it is going to look like
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

yokel22
Experienced User

Re: I would like some opinions.

Post by yokel22 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:04 am

So, your going to use wood strips instead of grout? If that's the case. I wouldn't recommend doing that. Wood expands/contracts throughout the seasons. I could see these cracking/ popping your tiles out.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:10 pm

no no there is grout there. and I used a latex based polymer in place of the water for the thinset and for the grout. This does 2 things. one it will allow the thinset and grout to bond to the wood. and 2 it makes the grout and thinset flexible so it doesn't crack with the expansion and contraction of the wood. Plus the wood i used is 50 year old white oak. which does not expand and contract as much as other woods. I also live in Colorado with a very low humidity and the humidity doesn't vary for long periods of time. we may have a day where it might spike up due to a storm but it is only like that for a day. not long enough for the wood to absorb a huge amount of moisture. Plus what i did to the exposed surface of the wood is i oiled it. this stops moisture penetration, and it also made it much easier to get the grout and thinset off the surface.

yokel22
Experienced User

Post by yokel22 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:30 am

As long as there is grout there, should be fine. At most, it may show a small line between the grout & wood (probably 1/64") sometimes during winter. I assume you mean quartersawn white oak, that will minimize any expansion/contraction.

You did a nice job. I'm not really wild about it, nor do I hate it. It's really just a personal preference. If you like it & plan on keeping the house a while. I'd say go for it. There's no accounting for what the next owners will like or won't.

Do you plan on laying the mastic so the tile is flush with the wood? My only concern would be stubbing toes on the wood frames. I think what I dislike about it now is just seeing the frame higher than the tile.

justahotbag2
Experienced User

Post by justahotbag2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:12 am

I can barely believe how this brings back memories. I used chief architect for six years, when I was building a prospective house that I eventually got screwed out of finishing, for mixing business and pleasure.

Anyway I love it, love the originality, got to love that. My only gripe is how you go from a double wide strip, to a single in front of that doorway. I'm sure there is a good reason. I'm sure you'll be careful to get the two materials level, or err on whichever material is going to erode to a round edge first, being higher. Just thinking ahead...

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:35 pm

No no the tile is level with the top of the wood. I picked up a medium base thinset that can be 3/4" thick is needed. The slate varies in thickness from 1/8" to 5/8" or so. Another reason for the laying into the wood. Bit I wanted to carry the hardwood look from the living/dining space into the 2 bedrooms at the end of the hall. Instead of a stop/ start thing. That is the reason for the way the tie-in from the double to the single. That is not going to be a single that is the bathroom and I have to finish the floor in there as well. So 2 more boards have to get laid down. I figured that at 4 wide where the doors were would be way to much. So I went for middle ground with 3. Once the other 2 are placed which is going to get me under the door the floor is going to change to all slate tile. I am going to break the tile to make more of a moasic look in the bathroom. There may be some small hight change in the floor so the 2 boards I am going to lay will be able to account for that by lifting the first one about 1/16th of an inch or so. And the second an 1/8th to match the floor heights. I had a similiar issue when coming from the living space into the hall. Bit since I have to remove the floor in the 2 bedrooms to be able to weave the pieces in that I need and also to fix the shitty installation that was done originally I will have the ability to raise the floors that 1/4" difference the backer board made in the hallway. I am most likely going to tear out the old 1/2" subfloor and replace it with new 3/4" t&g sub floor. Some construction adhesive and screw it down every 8". No nails. I hate floors that squeek. I am going to hand sand the floors in both rooms as I did with the hallway pieces. Same stain and oil the wood. No poly. I hate poly on floors. Its to slippery, too much maintance, and the only way it will hold up for some kind of a decent amount of time is you have to use oil based poly and you have to apply a lot, and I do mean a lot of coats. Then not walk on it for 30 days and you should have uv lights on it for the entire 30 days. This will make a rock hard surface. But who wants to do all that?!?! So oil it is!.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Almost finished up. Grout is in. This is what it came out to be.
IMG_20180415_190011.jpg
IMG_20180415_185934.jpg

yokel22
Experienced User

Post by yokel22 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:28 pm

Guess my eyes were playing tricks on me. Without the grout, it looked like they were below the lattice. After looking again, I see that they were level. It looks nice. Are the white bits just plastic from collated nails?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:42 pm

The white bits is a reflection. Those are cut masonary nails (for the old style look) with the heads of them sanded off to the height of the wood. The first set of photos I posted the tiles were cut and dry fit. Then had not been layed yet. So they were lower then the wood. It was to get the general idea of what it would look like. The reason the tiles look so different from the first set of photos to this set is because I lightly oiled the surface of the tiles as well. This really brought out the colors in the tile. It is amazing how solid this floor feels under foot. But at the same time it is almost like a soft surface because it doesn't bounce back any sound. It's very strange because you would expect to hear clicking of shoes but you don't.

justahotbag2
Experienced User

Post by justahotbag2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:22 pm

I think this looks fracktatsic! This will reinforce your self-esteem every single time you see it, and walk on it. I didn't notice it was slate you were using, it's a deceiving material, you think it will crumble when cut, it doesn't, then you don't expect just how personable it feels under foot. Not a great job, it's outstanding. You are one multi-talented SOB.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:53 pm

I only have one talent. I know how to read

"I don't know how" and "I can't" = "I'm to f'in lazy to even try"

justahotbag2
Experienced User

Post by justahotbag2 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:17 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:53 pm
I only have one talent. I know how to read

"I don't know how" and "I can't" = "I'm to f'in lazy to even try"
OooKay... Then can we agree that you have a pair of "Great Reading Balls"...
One grey-bearded ball with internet access, hunched over a keyboard.
The other sweating to the oldies, with head band, tool belt, hammer, and trowel...

(Let's not argue this, many others can read, and even more have balls, but many less have educated balls, or balls that educate.)
Should be, you're new signature tag line.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:34 pm

ya know...It's funny about the beard thing. I am not quite a member of ZZ-Top But I am not all that far away. and tho my beard is not fully gray. i do have a kick ass gray stripe from my chin right down the middle of it.

justahotbag2
Experienced User

Post by justahotbag2 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:39 pm

https://youtu.be/IDx34E5PK2I
I simply think this applies, to the work you do here, and perhaps your entire life...

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:43 pm

I do not know if I mentioned this. But this is the first time I have ever done anything tile work. I know it was ambitious but it came out pretty decent. In the area I live the contractors around here are highway robbers. That is because of all of the people that simply open their wallets. I know a tile guy and he said for something like that the price would be about 10 grand. my total cost for all materials including replacing the subfloor was just shy of 400 dollars.