Infrared over WiFi

You can Post Talk Chat about anything here. Anything but religion/bullshit & politics/stupidity
steve@rpad

Infrared over WiFi

Post by steve@rpad » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:16 pm

Hey, Anybody know of a plug and play way to transmit Infrared signals over WiFi so that I'm not wasting a LAN connection. Something that runs on 5v or 12v transformer. I'm not into Arduino and soldering and programming. Just looking for easy plug and play.
Thanx,

Steve

Win10 Pro - 2004 - 64bit i7-4771 3.50GHz 32GB RAM 60TB Storage
EG - 0.5.0rc6, FileBot - 4.9.1.0, VidCoder 5.21
USBIRT, O-MEGA, DirWatcher, Keyboard, VLC
MediaPortal ...et al.

holdestmade
Experienced User

Re: Infrared over WiFi

Post by holdestmade » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:06 am

Have a look at the Broadlink RM mini3, does just that for about $16

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:36 pm

globalcache itach pieces. they make WiFi parts
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:33 am

I grabbed a used global cache wifi2ir about a year ago but I had issues with setting it up on WIndows 10. I had trouble connecting to its little internal web server, and I figured I would grab a ir to ethernet instead. It might be worth trying the wifi adapter for yourself though.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:35 am

UP AND COMMING!!!

Multiple MCE IR transceiver support. Raspberry Pi B+ 30.00 USD, MCE IR Transceiver 25.00 USD and last a USB Wifi adapter 10.00 USD. install a piece of software VirtualHere on the PC running EventGhost and install it onto the Raspberry Pi. and now you have IR over Wifi Transmit and receive. The PC running EventGhost is going to think that the MCE transceiver is plugged directly into a USB port on the machine when it's really not.

This is about as plug and play as I could come up with. I am close to being finished with the new IR handling in EventGhost.

steve@rpad

Post by steve@rpad » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:55 pm

Thanks for the direction people. When I finally decide on a specific hardware solution I will communicate my experiences here.

Just gotta say tho', there's...SOOOooo...much information to read in order to start writing the simplest of scripts if you're a, starting from square one, kinda person. :shock: When I went to school the InterWeb had yet to be released for public use. Textbooks were the way the information was communicated. The appendix in a textbook is by far multitudes smaller than when reviewing sources on the Web. I now know, and understand fully, the phrase falling, “down the rabbit hole” as my EG learning curve continues to increase exponentially x 2. Jeesh...didn't think I would be as excited about this as I am tho'. I thought it was gonna be a chore rather than turning out to be a legit interesting hobby. I fully endorse the use of EG and its inherent DIY attitude! ALSO, I really do appreciate all you folks do to help EG's "fluffle of kits". :mrgreen: :lol:
Thanx,

Steve

Win10 Pro - 2004 - 64bit i7-4771 3.50GHz 32GB RAM 60TB Storage
EG - 0.5.0rc6, FileBot - 4.9.1.0, VidCoder 5.21
USBIRT, O-MEGA, DirWatcher, Keyboard, VLC
MediaPortal ...et al.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:51 am

well it gets better then that, once I get the thing running correctly. The DIY comment goes much much further. I don't try to come up with solutions that are "DIY" I strive to find the solution that puts the smallest dent possible in the wallet.

IDK if you have ever heard of an ESP32.
It's a micro controller that is about the size of a dime. it has a dual core 240MHz RISC processor on it and 512K of ram. It also has WiFi and Blueteeth built into it. It plenty powerful enough to receive and blast IR

They cost < 10.00USD so it's super cheap!

I am going to write firmware for it that turn it into an IR receiver and blaster.
the only pieces need are the ESP32, IR LED, IR Receiver and a USB phone charger.

so for < 15.00 USD you will have a WiFi blaster, WiFi receiver and a WiFi extender.