APPCRASH on startup - Version: 2019.3.10.0

This is where you report any issues if you are running a beta version of EventGhost
Forum rules
To submit a possible bug report please follow this template

Version: 0.5 beta 2 (the version you are running)
Traceback: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<SOME_EVENTGHOST_FILE.py>", line 10, in <module>
SOME_FUNCTION()
File "<SOME_EVENTGHOST_FILE.py>", line 4, in SOME_EVENTGHOST_MODULE
SOME_FUNCTION()

copy and past any traceback information from the log if there is no traceback put NONE

Event:
Main.test.0.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8

in the Event field you will want to put the event that was triggered just prior to the traceback occurring, if there is personal data put PERSONAL DATA if there was no traceback or no event triggered right before the traceback put NO EVENT

Description: if you have the ability to replicate the issue then put in here a description of what you are doing to create the problem.

Screen Shots: screen shots of the error and any events/macros/acrions that were run before the issue or screen shots of the problem

Files: any files that may be used to isolate where the issue is. something like the log.txt file would go here

if you provide the above information before hand it will greatly speed up the diagnostic process. we will not have to ask for the bits and pieces. And also having a well formatted Bug Report filled out will get answered sooner then the ones that aren't
skribb
Experienced User

APPCRASH on startup - Version: 2019.3.10.0

Post by skribb » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:18 pm

Code: Select all

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	EventGhost.exe
  Application Version:	2019.3.10.0
  Application Timestamp:	5582854a
  Fault Module Name:	PYTHON27.DLL
  Fault Module Version:	2.7.12150.1013
  Fault Module Timestamp:	58178292
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	000635b4
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
  Locale ID:	2057
  Additional Information 1:	0b75
  Additional Information 2:	0b75568a0e6063f8cf7482f4e14934ab
  Additional Information 3:	c0ea
  Additional Information 4:	c0ea3fb5f3ebb5e9eecf94b5491c3827
Automation is life.

Win7 64bit
EG: v0.5.0-rc4

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: APPCRASH on startup - Version: 2019.3.10.0

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:51 pm

OK so these appcrash messages suck. because they really tell us nothing.
The only way for me to be able to diagnose the appcrash message properly is quite involved. I would have to compile python and every extension module differently. I would have to generate symbol files for each and every one of those extension modules and python as well. then you would have to install Visual Studio 2017 and set it to be used by Windows as the debugger. then you would have to link all of the symbol files to the appropriate extension modules and dll files. then and only then would I get a debugging output that I would know what is actually taking place.

that's a lot of work. and I do not have a problem doing it. But before we do it I need to have some questions answered.

What version of EG?
What version of Windows?
Is it an upgrade of EG or a clean install?
If it is an upgrade have you tried a clean install?
Have you tried renaming your config.py file ? (this will cause EG to build a new one)
Have you tried renaming the saved config tree file? (this will cause EG to load the default one)
Have you tried the last 2 questions together?
Have you removed all plugins except for the core installed ones? (plugin locations are c:\program files (x86)\eventghost\plugins and c:\programdata\eventghost\plugins)
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:52 pm

scratch the Windows version question. I can see you are running Windows 7 build 7601 (sp1)

skribb
Experienced User

Post by skribb » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:35 pm

wow thanks for the timely reply K
What version of EG?
EventGhost_WIP-2019.03.10-20.11.47_Setup
Is it an upgrade of EG or a clean install?
upgrade

If it is an upgrade have you tried a clean install?
i know i should have tried a clean install but i .... am lazy.
i guess my first step will be clean install, then add each plugin one by one, then if it still hasn't crashed at that point i will try loading my .xml tree :D :D :D
-Have you tried renaming your config.py file ? (this will cause EG to build a new one)
-Have you tried renaming the saved config tree file? (this will cause EG to load the default one)
-Have you tried the last 2 questions together?
-Have you removed all plugins except for the core installed ones? (plugin locations are c:\program files (x86)\eventghost\plugins and c:\programdata\eventghost\plugins)
aren't these irrelevant if i try a clean install?
Automation is life.

Win7 64bit

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:06 pm

if you uninstall eventghost it does not delete any user files. so files in %appdata%\eventghost and in %programdata%\eventghost which is the location where the config.py file is located and also any plugins you have installed, these paths do not get removed. and upon installing eventghost again the files will get used again.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:08 pm

I am willing to be that it is a plugin causing the problem. I need to know what plugin in order to repair it.

I also wanted to note that if a plugin is not installed in your tree but it is in either of the plugin paths i listed in an earlier post and you have debugging enable the plugin does get loaded and can cause a crash. so be sure to move any plugins that are not "Factory" shipped with EG to another folder. then one at a time move them back. restart EG if you do not get a crash then add the plugin to the tree. if no crash then remove the plugin from the tree. save and close EG move the next one over and start EG again. keep doing this until all plugins have been added.

so this is how you will want to start the process..

Uninstall EG.
Create a folder on your desktop called backup.
in the backup folder create 3 folders. one called programfiles another called program data and the last called appdata

go to c:\program files (x86)
locate the EventGhost folder (if any)
move the eventghost folder to backup\programfiles on your desktop.
you want to key this into the path bar at the top of the file explorer
%appdata%
locate the eventghost folder.
move the eventghost folder to backup\appdata
key this into the path bar
%programdata%
find the eventghost folder.
move the folder to backup\programdata

then install EG

skribb
Experienced User

Post by skribb » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:47 am

Software
Program Version: WIP-2019.03.10-20.11.47, Build Time: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 20:11:47
Python Version: Stackless Python 2.7.15 final 0, wxPython Version: 3.0.2.0

System
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise SP1, 64-bit (build 7601)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz
RAM: 15.9 GB

--

Hmm, this seems to have been quite easy to fix. Let us hope i won't run into any more issues down the road with the new WIP EG.
troubleshooting detailed below.

troubleshooting process part 1:
1. clean install of EventGhost_WIP-2019.03.10-20.11.47_Setup.exe
2. reboot
3. tried starting WIP-2019.03.10-20.11.47 = no crash on startup

i have now isolated the non-factory plugins that i'm using:
- AudioEndpoint
- AutoRemote
- LogRedirector
- PhilipsHue
- PotPlayer
- ZWave-0.5.3b.egplugin

troubleshooting process part 2:
1. add potplayer plugin to factory tree = no crash on startup
2. add Plugin: USB-UIRT to factory tree = no crash on startup
3. added Plugin: AudioEndpoint to factory tree = no crash on startup
4. added Plugin: Philips Hue to factory tree = no crash on startup
4. added Plugin: AutoRemote to factory tree = no crash on startup
5. added Plugin: LogRedirector to factory tree = no crash on startup

6. added ZWave-0.5.3b.egplugin to factory tree..........

when trying to save tree after adding Zwave, result is:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last) (WIP-2019.03.10-20.11.47):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\MainFrame\__init__.py", line 275, in FuncWrapper
    func()
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\EventGhost\eg\Classes\MainFrame\__init__.py", line 871, in OnCmdSave
    self.document.Save()
  File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\ZWave\__init__.py", line 925, in save
    eg.document.SaveAs = self._save_as
AttributeError: 'ZWave' object has no attribute '_save_as'
.... but then i exited EG without saving the tree and re-added ZWave-0.5.3b to tree, which resulted in:
"Z-Wave: Finished initializing new network."
..... and saving the tree afterwards gave no errors!

7. did a couple more restarts of EG to make sure it still works = no crash on startup

8. i will now do a "troubleshooter's leap of faith" and load my regular .xml tree into EG WIP-2019.03.10-20.11.47 = no errors!!

9. restarting EG with my regular tree loaded = only error now is "Z-Wave: Room not found."

10. re-adding my backed-up Zwave settings into %programdata% and launching EG = no errors, but EG takes 20 seconds to initialize (my Zwave rooms have been re-added successfully)
11. rebooting Windows just to make sure = EG launches with no errors

my conclusion:
something in %AppData% was haunting the new EventGhost (no pun intended, i swear)
Automation is life.

Win7 64bit

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:38 pm

Ahhh yes... you are supposed to get the appcrash when you upgraded EG.

there is a bug in python 2.7.12 in the core of it that causes an appcrash when running a compiled cython extension. I had spent a year working with the developers of cython and with stackless python to fix this bug. and we did. but in order to get the zwave plugin to the users I had to make the plugin so it would replace the core python files in eventghost. so when you upgraded the version of EG it put the old files back into place. I had not thought of this being a potential problem. At this point I am not going to be concerned with fixing it because a new version of python has been released with these bug fixes added to the core. I will be updating the version of python in the next release candidate and I will no longer need to swap any files around. I am truly sorry you had to go through this process. I should have remembered that the zwave plugin caused the appcrash problem. I will lets users also know in the zwave help topic about this.

so long as you reinstalled the plugin you should be good to go. the only thing that needs to be done is after the upgrade there are 3 files with .backup on the end of them thsat are located in the root of the eventghost directory that have to be deleted. There is another correction I have to make to the plugin that I discovered as well. the filenames it is trying to replace are incorrect.

skribb
Experienced User

Post by skribb » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:23 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:38 pm
Ahhh yes... you are supposed to get the appcrash when you upgraded EG.

there is a bug in python 2.7.12 in the core of it that causes an appcrash when running a compiled cython extension. I had spent a year working with the developers of cython and with stackless python to fix this bug. and we did. but in order to get the zwave plugin to the users I had to make the plugin so it would replace the core python files in eventghost. so when you upgraded the version of EG it put the old files back into place. I had not thought of this being a potential problem. At this point I am not going to be concerned with fixing it because a new version of python has been released with these bug fixes added to the core. I will be updating the version of python in the next release candidate and I will no longer need to swap any files around. I am truly sorry you had to go through this process. I should have remembered that the zwave plugin caused the appcrash problem. I will lets users also know in the zwave help topic about this.

so long as you reinstalled the plugin you should be good to go. the only thing that needs to be done is after the upgrade there are 3 files with .backup on the end of them thsat are located in the root of the eventghost directory that have to be deleted. There is another correction I have to make to the plugin that I discovered as well. the filenames it is trying to replace are incorrect.
well i managed to seemingly fix the issue and i jogged your memory, so it's all good.

there are much much worse things in life :D
Automation is life.

Win7 64bit

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:06 pm

There are. but i did make you spend some time working on this issue when I should have remember that this kind of a thing could have happened.

Thankfully this will be something that is going to go away in time

skribb
Experienced User

Post by skribb » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:03 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:06 pm
There are. but i did make you spend some time working on this issue when I should have remember that this kind of a thing could have happened.

Thankfully this will be something that is going to go away in time
8)
Automation is life.

Win7 64bit