The O-MEGA Project – A first look

Post photos of your home automation. Have discussion about how you use EventGhost in your setup.
Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

The O-MEGA Project – A first look

Post by Sem;colon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:25 pm

I proudly present: The O-MEGA Project!

What it is?

Well, you could put it simple and say it's an web-interface for EventGhost, but it's much more than that! It's an EventGhost extension that will add a lot of useful out of the box home-automation functionality and it offers quite some unique features you have never seen in any home-automation web interfaces before!

Here is a list of some of it's features:
  • Organize all your home-automation devices in the configuration menu – UI based, no configuration files
  • Supports the usual controls; like buttons, sliders, color picker...
  • Designed to work well on both; PCs and mobile devices like smart phones and tablets without providing a second (mobile) interface for them
  • Uses long-polling to give you a real-time overview over your home-automation landscape without reloading the page
  • Customizable dashboard
  • Template based:
    • Add and remove functionality – tailor it to your needs
    • Create your own templates with the help of a documented template API (requires HTML and JavaScript skills)
    • Configure existing templates with the actions you need (UI based, no programming skills required)
    • Share your templates with others by using the export/import mechanism
  • Comes with templates for PC automation:
    • Remote file browser
    • Remote mouse and keyboard control
  • Automate across multiple PCs:
    • Centralizes the EventGhost events from all connected PCs on the server
    • Can use EventGhost instances on other PCs to control installed software or locally attached devices
  • Active media control determines the most “interesting” multimedia device or program and redirects your commands to it
  • Scene recorder within the web-interface that can record actions as well as conditions for them
...And many more! (really, there is a lot more)

Since pictures say sometimes more than 1000 words, here are some screenshots:
1.PNG
Dashboard
2.PNG
AIMP template
3.PNG
File browser
4.PNG
Lights
If you like my work, Image me a drink :wink:

zian
Site Admin

Re: The O-MEGA Project – A first look

Post by zian » Sat May 13, 2017 12:12 am

Bump,

This looks very cool.
I just started using EG more on my Android phone and tablet.
I'm gonna check this out more in depth real soon.
Thanks Semi
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Sun May 21, 2017 9:22 am

Hey zian,

thanks for the message, I appreciate!
You know I created this topic in hope some people would be very excited about the project, to encourage me to go on with it.
Unfortunately, the response was not as I expected it to be...
My plan was to sell it... well, guess I wasted the past 5+ years of my life... :? At least I have a system I like now :)
Stopped development now, I need to start getting a life! ;)

Baymax

Post by Baymax » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:20 am

It has a nice set of props like it :) if you are not planning to develop it... can you share the configs
I am new to EG and automation and seems like your project may be helpful to lean a bit more... from who knows stuff a bit...

English is not my native language so expect errors and grammars :)
Yours non threatening "huggable" companion

Code: Select all

onlznk Rot-13

also likes minecraft :D

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:30 pm

kgschlosser wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:57 am
The reason why EG is not more popular is because it lacks a web interface. People fail to understand what Home "Automation" is. as you stated.. pulling out my cell phone or a tablet and bring up a GUI and press a button to turn a light on only means someone ass is going to get bigger and bigger because that is the definition of laziness. and there is not a damned thing automatic about it. web gui's that offer fancy interfaces for doing thing like turning lights on and off. or changing the channel on your tv do not belong being grouped with home automation. now those GUI's are the defining thing in a smart home.
So true. The mainstream "smart home" that is available on the market right now is, in most cases, nothing but home control (as I call it) and not home automation. You need to be able to talk to different devices in both directions to automate things.
Eventghost can do that, but as Kevin said, it does not provide an control interface out of the box.
Basically you can use anything to control your smart home driven by eventghost, however, an web-ui is not so bad compared to an IR remote, as it provides you an infinite number of "buttons" to do your home control.
The web interface I created goes far beyond control; it can do what I call "on demand home automation".
How often am I sitting on the sofa and have a nice idea to automate a task, but going to the pc, opening EG, creating a macro for it, assigning an event etc. Nah, too lazy for that right now :mrgreen:
But I can realize my scenarios (even rather complex ones) usually just with some clicks in the web-UI, making the automation much more comfortable to setup.
The downside is, after integrating so much functionally, this interface now turned out rather complex in it's configuration to get familiar with..
That's also why I realized that I can never sell it ^^°

Long story short, I'm going to release it for free and open source in the hope it will be useful (and to get EG finally a proper web interface), without any warranty or support.

Maybe in some weeks, stay tuned :)

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:08 am

DUDE! you rock..

Pairing that with a "special" edition of EG that can be run as a service would be a step in the right direction. If i combine the threaded events along with the service abilities this would really make sure the web interface would move along quite nicely.

I have been working on a library that would remove a large portion of the complexity out of creating a UI like you have. because of the dynamic nature of the information coming into EG there has to be a HUGE amount of code to handle building the pages. This makes it a royal pain to write and maintain. I think that if you release it as OpenSource you would surly get some help in that department.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

dan Edens
Experienced User

Post by dan Edens » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:01 pm

man I use alot of hacked together nonsense to do alot of the things you just described, This would be a HUGE quality of life upgrade to my Fleet. I love it.

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:31 pm

You're welcome! :)
Get it from here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10442#p54602

dan Edens
Experienced User

Post by dan Edens » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:23 pm

I really appricate that warning about the server PC!
Saved me alot of hassle this morning remebering I do have a server PC to set up on instead of my main haha

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:12 pm

Hehe, you're welcome! :)
But actually it's more a question than a warning, if you select "no", it'll install the components for being a client instead of the server components. You can create an unlimited number of client PCs But only one server.
Your client PCs will connect to your server on the network automatically (well, after setting them up in the web UI) and send all events to the server for central processing. Also provides some out of the box features like WOL, remote control input etc. all from within a single web interface hosted on your server.
Of course this also allows you to run commands on any PC in your network running eventghost simultaneously, if you wish

tias

Post by tias » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:03 pm

This looks amazing! But have to play with it ;-)
I pushed it to Reddit at r/eventghost. Let's see what will happen ...
EventGhost (curr.: 0.5.0-rc4), Tasker (=Automation)