My Home Theater build progress

Post photos of your home automation. Have discussion about how you use EventGhost in your setup.
slattynan
Experienced User

Re: My Home Theater build progress

Post by slattynan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:37 am

Just feel the need to say that those lazy boys are awesome. I love my setup, but they alone put mine to shame!

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:27 am

If it can be attached as a second display. you should be able to extend the desktop to it, or mirror the desktop on it.

That being said If you do not plan to use the touchscreen then making a display for it should be a snap. You can put anything you want on it.

You say there is some kind of a box inside of it. are you able to take photos of it?? I would imagine there is some kind of a VGA cable coming out of the back of the machine that you would use to loop back into your display adapter. and the wire inside is actually for the touchscreen and it plugs down onto a USB header. This case is not new and I would not imagine them trying to use a USB driven video card to feed that screen. IDK tho.

Then again then could have done all kinds of dumbass with it and made it propitiatory and it all feeds through that USB and you have to use their drivers to do anything with it.

That company typically used other companies already made hardware in their cases so I am willing to bet there are driver updates still available for the thing.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:28 am

I looked around some, and the usb connection is just for the touchscreen, and it has a VGA output cable plugged into my video cable. I don't know how easy it is to add things to the existing software. I think most of the styling can be created by finding the right backgrounds, fonts, and things like that. Getting the currently playing track, and media info might be trickier. I am trying to make VMC controller work but it might be causing a few problems. The easiest approach might be EG interacting with the MSAS directly rather than through another program.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:31 am

slattynan wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:37 am
Just feel the need to say that those lazy boys are awesome. I love my setup, but they alone put mine to shame!
Thanks bud. Everyone really likes the couches. We actually got those last year on black friday

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:54 am

jachin99 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:28 am
I looked around some, and the usb connection is just for the touchscreen, and it has a VGA output cable plugged into my video cable. I don't know how easy it is to add things to the existing software. I think most of the styling can be created by finding the right backgrounds, fonts, and things like that. Getting the currently playing track, and media info might be trickier. I am trying to make VMC controller work but it might be causing a few problems. The easiest approach might be EG interacting with the MSAS directly rather than through another program.

OK I did some looking into this thing.

The VGA pigtail on the back of the machine needs to be connected to your video card. it is not an output it is an input to the touchscreen for video.
the connector inside the machine that goes to the touchscreen. there are 2 of them one is for power the other is for being connected to a USB header to enable the touch on the screen. It is exactly how I thought it would be.

If you plug in the VGA you should be able to see another monitor as being attached in the screen resolution dialog (right click on the desktop it will be in the menu that pops up). You need to enable this new display by selecting either extend desktop or duplicate desktop.

here is a link to the manual for the case
https://www.quietpc.com/instructions/manual_932_2_0.pdf

it appears as tho this might be an updated driver for the IR
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... OFaHpXpN2X

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:18 pm

I have the screen itself plugged in and working, I'm just looking for ways to expand it's functionality to include things like cover art. I didn't see those updated it drivers though so I'll take a look

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:44 am

OK so I have a question for ya.

Do you get events in EG for things that start playing?
does said event also include a payload with a path by chance?

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:37 am

I can get events for individual channels in the form of track names, where the track name would be the channel number, and sometimes episode titles but not series titles. For Movies, I get something to the effect of streaming content=true ( My movies are located on a network share), and a media title in the log but no exact paths. I get this for playing movies via the native WMC interface. I'm guessing it would be the same for Emby for WMC because that uses WMC's player but I have yet to test it. I suppose this means I would need a way to match the movie name with a path but I'll have to look and see if mediapath is included with ehmas service. Here is the reference for the service https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 16512.aspx

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:04 am

I'm not so worried about that. It's pretty easy to scrape IMdb for the album art. actually for all of the information.

what kind of stuff do you want to show??. how large do you want the font. what font do you want?

Draw me a basic idea of what you want to see and where. use the program

Code: Select all

paint.net
the max resolution of the screen 1024x768 so in the pain program create a new image with the canvas size set to 5120x3840. this way every 5 pixels you draw represent 1 on the screen. it will make it easier if you set your line sizes to 3 pixels thick. this way when you draw a line there will be space on either side of the line. when you first make the canvas it will be all white. use the magic want and select the white. crank the tolerance all the way up or down i can't remember which direction to make sure it selects all of it. then press the del key. this will create an alpha background. any element you create do it in a different layer. make sure you save it as a pdn file

There is a reason for this. I will be able to use those exact images. it becomes easier then dinking around with Polar and Cartesian coordinates to manually draw the thing.

I will be able to add VU meters in the future. i'm still working on the Windows API attachment for that.
If you have access to the current position in the media i can generate all the rest of the metrics based on current position and total length of the media.

I really do need to buy a small touchscreen to play around with.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:26 pm

I played around with paint.net a little, and tried to come up with something that matches the look of my WMC theme. I still have to adjust some of the effects but here is what I came up with. This mimics my background, and startup animation.
Capture.JPG
I'll have to send you a .pnd file once everything gets closer to done. I have a pretty good idea about where I want to place things on the screen but don't have time to finish it at the moment as I'm still learning how to use paint.net

For receiving events, things just got a little more complicated. There is another network controller I may need to use in order to implement dual live TV buffers BUT everytime someone forks VMC controller, which happened here, they take out the event broadcaster service. I'm not positive I'll even need VMC controller for this but that is what I'm currently using to get WMC events into eventghost. I sent the developer a message but I'll have to wait a little bit for a response.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:00 pm

I'm still shopping around for options for my second screen. I found a program called wallpaper engine that enables animated desktop backgrounds, and that works OK. One really good thing about wallpaper engine is that I can set a live wallpaper on each monitor, and it doesn't crash when WMC does its HDCP handshake. I can also apply the normal soundgraph application over my live wallpaper because the soungraph's animations are mostly transparent. I'm thinking I can use that kind of in the background, or when I'm not watching anything on the PC.

I'm still looking for a second screen application, and I came across this. https://www.movieposterapp.com/ It already has eventghost integration, and its still supported. This looks like a really good option, and it integrates with Emby already but no WMC integration. I might have found a couple of APIs that will return info such as the currently playing URI, media state, and title names but I'll make a separate post for that. Right now there is a small leak in the roof so that is my big priority for that room.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:20 pm

roof leaks are not a good thing. especially in that kind of a room where there is no attic above and the sheetrock is attached directly to the roof joists. (I think if i remember in the photos that's what the room is like.)

If that is the case and you have the water coming in through the sheetrock. that is not where the leak is. you will have to look north of that. twords the top of the roof, it is probably going to be a shit pipe or some other protrusion through the roof for some kind of mechanical. it's most likely around the flashing. pick yourself up some geocell sealant. that stuff is the best. is that is not available you can get Henrys quick patch in a tube. that stuff can seal even if it is wet. if you want to eliminate any possibility of mold you will need one of those pump insect sprayers and a gallon of bleach. drill a hold large enough to fit the tip of the sprayer in the sheetrock about where the leak is actually coming in from the roof. set the sprayer to a fine mist pump it up shove the tip of the sprayer in the hole and let er rip. you won't have to do to much because the sprayer should atomize the bleach pretty good. the hole will be easy to compound up.