Projector Lift

Post photos of your home automation. Have discussion about how you use EventGhost in your setup.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Projector Lift

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:40 pm

So I have managed to get myself into yet another cool DIY project.

Since I am changing a couple of things about in my media room. and one of them being lifting the second row of seating by 14". there is the main beam of the house that runs right over the first row seating.

Now when the second row was not lifted i was able to mount the projector under the beam and encase it. Now i could have left the beam the way it was. But i had several things i needed to attend to. I wanted to add 2 more 2X10's. There was some sag in it due to the span. and also the floor above was to bouncy for my liking. even tho code states a maximum of 3/8" deflection over a 24' span of flooring and i was well within that. i still did not care for it.

So during the journey of adding and moving and making the floor above more rigid i decided i wanted to rearrange the heating ducts and see if i can't manage to shrink how far down the covering for the beam was hanging from the ceiling.. This would give the appearance of more room. especially in the second row. I managed to accomplish all of this. i went from almost 20" hanging from the ceiling to round about 12 or so. Problem is i did not want the projector visible so mounting it under was no longer an option. so I was going to mount it in front of (closer to the screen). I ended up 4" to close to the screen for it to fill the screen. I could have moved the screen back but then i would have had to either move my center channel out from behind the screen or i was going to have to punch a hole through the wall and recess the center channel so it would give me more room. I did really want to deal with framing a box and a small roof sticking out the side of my house. tho it would have been under my hot tub i still didn't think that was the best solution.

So the challenge. build a projector lift that will move 7ish inches. and cram it into a space that is 9 ish inches high. motor, drive assembly and lift have to fit. Not i can put the motor between the joists. so that gives me an additional 5" but only for mechanicals. Now to make it ooodles of fun. one of the joists run just about center of the lift. so whatever I decide to lift the thing may have to be offset. so now I have to figure out a way to have the thing go up and down without yoking.

I think I have the solution. I am going to post photos in a bit. I am in the process of setting up the motor and drive assembly.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

jachin99
Experienced User

Re: Projector Lift

Post by jachin99 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:57 pm

Sweet!!

Can't wait for some pics

missmargarita

Post by missmargarita » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:46 pm

I can't wait to see the photo and the labor of your hard work. Good luck.
A web developer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:32 am

ok so lift prototype works. Now to tear it all apart and build the final version. the prototype is very sloppy.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:06 pm

I should have some photos of the lift this evening possibly maybe tomorrow morning at the latest. I am installing it tonight. I finished the build of it. I have to wire up the controller for it. I am going to use an Arduino to detect voltage on the us port to know when the projector is on. And I will use a thermistor to check the air temp coming from the vents to know when to close it up. I will take a reading just before the fan shuts down so I know what temp to set it for.