Control a Honeywell Lyric T6 Thermostat from EventGhost

Tutorials & Guides
ivesKO

Control a Honeywell Lyric T6 Thermostat from EventGhost

Post by ivesKO » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:55 pm

I created this guide on reddit and I thought I'd crosspost it here in case anyone would like to control a Honeywell Lyric thermostat with EventGhost. Check out the guide here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/eventghost/com ... hermostat/

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Re: Control a Honeywell Lyric T6 Thermostat from EventGhost

Post by Sem;colon » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:39 am

Hi ivesKO,

Sounds like you quite interested some time to create those scripts, thank you for sharing! :)

However, maybe you want to consider turning your set of scripts into one plugin? The structure you describe is pretty much the structure a plugin uses, creating a plugin is actually not so difficult to do as you might think and much easier for others to import and use it. You can even bundle libs like curl with it, so you don't need to install them.
If you like my work, Image me a drink :wink:

ivesKO

Post by ivesKO » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:54 pm

Sem;colon wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:39 am
Hi ivesKO,

Sounds like you quite interested some time to create those scripts, thank you for sharing! :)

However, maybe you want to consider turning your set of scripts into one plugin? The structure you describe is pretty much the structure a plugin uses, creating a plugin is actually not so difficult to do as you might think and much easier for others to import and use it. You can even bundle libs like curl with it, so you don't need to install them.
Thanks for the suggestion. I had considered doing that in the past but I was scared off a little once I looked at some of the other plugin's code and saw it was way over my head. I'm only intermediate level at python and if you look at the code you can see that I don't even use any functions or anything too advanced. It's all pretty much executed line by line, although I do feel like it has pretty decent error handling and I have tried to prevent most user error by checking the inputs and json responses. I have been using python by way of EventGhost for about 1.5 years and have learned a few tricks with it that I have applied here but I still have much to learn. I did not know that part about bundling curl libs so that is pretty interesting. I do think you are right and something like this could work great as a plugin, complete with a configuration dialog for input of the API keys. This is just the form that I created for myself that I then cleaned up the code and shared here. I have some time off next week so I will look at what goes into creating a plugin, who knows maybe I'll learn a thing or two. :wink:

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Post by Sem;colon » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:04 pm

That's how I started once as well, just take a look at another plugin - I'm convinced you can will succeed and learn something from it, it's not as hard as it first looks :)
The most difficult part, in my opinion, is creating the UI (wxPython), but with a lot of copy & paste from other plugins that have similar menus, you will manage that as well ;)
This documentation entry was also a good help for me:
http://www.eventghost.net/docs/writing_plugins.html
If you like my work, Image me a drink :wink: