Help getting started

Tutorials & Guides
philworthington

Help getting started

Post by philworthington » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:24 am

Hi there,

Just to describe my setup quickly. I have an LG soundbar underneath my monitor, and an old Microsoft MCE remote receiver on the PC. I was hoping to use the remote for my soundbar to control media playback, simple play/pause/skip stuff, but I can't figure out if Eventghost supports learning IR commands from my remote, and if so how to do it!?!

I am by no means a computer newbie, and I used to be a remote programmer (Crestron etc), but I have looked at the various tutorials including the YouTube one someone linked to and I really can't figure Eventghost out.

I really just want to map the remote commands to the generic HID commands that Windows supports, nothing fancy. Anyone able to give me some help in how to get started?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Help getting started

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:26 pm

OK so here is the skinny.

when dealing with the IR Receivers it can get a little bit confusing. This is due to there not really being a set "standard" for the things.

I am assuming you have plugged the thing in.
If you go into device manager and expand the HID devices as well as the Mice and Other pointing devices.
Browse around and see if you can locate a driver that have "ehome" in it's name. If you find one then you're in luck. the MCE Remote Vista + plugin should work for you.

be sure to run eventghost as an Administrator when installing the service. You will know what I am talking about when you install the plugin. after you install the service you will need to reboot your computer. once rebooted start eventghost as a normal user. if the plugin is not installed reinstall it. the remote should generate events without any need to learn the codes from it.

Now if you do not find those drivers. then I am going to need to company that makes the thing as well as the model number. to help you further with it.

I quick little tutorial that may help clear up the functionality of eventghost.

EventGhost by it's self does not go a whole hell of a lot. The vast majority of it's abilities comes from the plugins.
EventGhost (EG) is shipped with a bunch. There are more to be had if you browse the Plugin Support section of the forums.
There are actually close to 400 plugins, so lots and lots of ability that can be added.

The easiest way for me to help you with EG is to give a clearer understanding of what EG is..
This of it this way. If you speak German and I speak Greek we would need a Translator that can speak both languages in order for us to communicate in an easy and efficient manner. This is what EventGhost is. nothing more, nothing less. EG speaks hundreds of languages. Z-Wave, Serial, Telnet, JSON, RPC....... and the list goes on and on.

The plugins are what extend EG's languages. There is alittle more to it then that. but for a general understanding we will leave it at that.

as an example:
You have a Windows MCE Remote and a Samsung TV. You want the MCE remote to control the Samsung TV. The MCE remote does not have the ability to learn Samsung IR, and the Samsung TV does not have the ability to learn MCE IR. this is where EG comes in.

A samsung TV does have a mechanism that allows you to tell the TV what to do over a network. This is what we use. So eventghost knows how to speak MCE IR and it also knows how to speak Samsung Network Control. Sp we add the 2 plugins.

When there is incoming information from either of the devices it will typically generate "Events" in the log (the panel on the left). these Events lets us know when something has taken place on the device. In the case of a remote it would be if someone presses a button on the remote.

Now we want to "translate" that remote button press into a specific command for the TV. The output side of EventGhost is called Actions. Actions are what tell a device what to do. We want to pair the 2 together. Think of it as a marriage. and what do married people do? Buy a house and live in it.
So we need to make a house for the 2. we call this a Macro. A macro is simply a container that holds the actions or output you want to perform. and we add the Event or input into the container to tell it when to run.

So if you create a macro you will automatically be prompted to add an action. you will want to select the plugin. in our example we will select the Samsung TV plugin. and in the plugin it will list off all of the actions it is able to perform. locate the one you want and Add it. If there are any specific configuration details that are needed for that action a dialog will open up prompting you to select the settings. click on the OK button. and it created the macro for you in the tree on the right hand side.

Now we press that button on the remote that we want to use to perform that action. This will generate an event. you can drag and drop the event from the log on the left into the new macro on the right. be sure to have the event at the top of the macro.

And that is it. now when you press the button that action will be run. and the TV will do whatever it is you told it to do.

You mentioned Keystrokes. This one is a little trickier. You will need 2 actions. the Find Widow action. that will locate the program you want to send the keystrokes into. and after that the Send Keys action. This would be the one that actually sends the keys into the Program that has been found
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Help getting started

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:31 pm

If you are simply looking to use the remote to control Windows in it's normal way then there is no need to use EG at all actually. When you install the service for the MCE Remote Vitsta+ plugin it is going to disable any remote control key presses being received by any windows applications (other then EventGhost) If you specifically want to change the orientation of the buttons. or have the remote control the LG sound bar directly then EG is what you will need. I do not think there is a plugin for LG sound bars. I would need the model number of the soundbar to know if it can be controlled using something other then IR.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image