Windows Media Center MCE remote in Win 10 in 5 easy steps

Tutorials & Guides
jachin99
Experienced User

Windows Media Center MCE remote in Win 10 in 5 easy steps

Post by jachin99 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:11 pm

Before you start going through my tutorial, I thought It would be helpful to explain exactly what you will be doing to your computer, and why you will be doing it. This tutorial was tested using the Win 10 Creator's update, and EG version 0.5.0 rc4, and took about 15 minutes to test. Without going into great detail, here is what you will need to accomplish in order to get your MCE remote working:

Step 1. Disable driver signing enforcement
Driver signing is a way for Microsoft to verify developers aren’t planting malware in their driver packages. Although this does add some measure of security to Windows, all a signed driver is really saying is that it has gone through some approval process on the part of Microsoft. If a driver is not signed, it does not mean it’s a virus or the driver will not work, it just means the developer for whatever reason hasn’t gone through that process. For more on driver signing and security look here: https://www.osr.com/blog/2015/03/18/mic ... indows-10/

Step 2. Install your IR sensor (This usually involves just plugging it in!!)

Step 3. Install EventGhost version 0.5.0 rc4 from here: http://eventghost.net/downloads/
Because development builds change often, and eventually get wrapped up into a release version its safe to say that when EG v 0.5 is released as a stable version you can just download that. While making this tutorial I used the EG as a service version but the latest development build should be sufficient

Step 4. Add the generic HID plugin
Event ghost is just the platform, and in order for it to accomplish any work you need add your desired capabilities to the program. These come in the form of plugins, and this architecture is what helps make EG light weight, and flexible.

Step 5. Create your macros and enjoy!!

Now that you know what your doing and why your doing it, it only makes sense that I should go a step further and explain how to do all of this (The driver disabling tutorial has been shamelessly stolen from Kgschlosser)

Step 1 - Disable driver signing enforcement

*****This will restart the computer right after pressing enter*****
First, the computer has to be restarted in the so-called "Options" menu. This is easiest to do with the "Run" dialog. Which is opened by means of the key combination Win + R. The command to boot into the Options menu is as follows:

Code: Select all

shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
Nobody likes to carry out orders, of which he does not know what they are doing. Therefore, the explanation of the individual parameters:
Shutdown.exe - Is a Windows standard program that can shut down and reboot the computer in various ways
/ R - means: Restart
/ O - means: The computer should start in the Options menu
/ F - means: to restart directly and to close all programs automatically
/ T 00 -means the time in seconds until the restart is performed. In this case 0 seconds - ie immediate restart.

-In the first menu, click the "Troubleshooting" button. In the second menu screen, click the "Advanced Options" button.

-In the "Advanced Options", go to "Start Settings". Click the "Restart" button.

-After restarting the computer you land in the startup settings. Several options are available here, which are selected by pressing the numeric key. We need the option 7 - "Disable the driver signature" - to install unsigned drivers on Windows 1After another restart from the startup settings, you can now also install unsigned drivers in Windows via the device manager.

Step 2 - Plug In your Infrared Receiver

Step 3 - Install EventGhost

Step 4 - Installing the generic HID plugin

4.1 To add the HID plugin from within EG click on configuration located towards the top of the EG window, and click add plugin.
4.2 Scroll down until you see the Input Devices folder, under which you should see Generic HID. Double click on this. The generic HID plugin reads the Microsoft HID service, and lists all the devices that run using the HID service. HID stands for Human Interface Device, and it is basically anything you use to control your PC from your voice, to a mouse, to whatever other method you can think of. You should see about 4 entries that look something like this:

@hidserv.inf%hid_device_system_consumer%;HID-compliant consumer control device

Your IR receiver is actually the combination of 4 HID devices which all look similar but have small differences in their names. Either way, the device that is listed above is the one you’re going for so go ahead and double click that one to add it. If you’re not sure which one you need, then add all of the devices that start with @hidserv.inf%hid. The worst thing that will happen is you will see extra log data that you cannot use for your macros, and you can delete the plugins you don’t need later.

Step 5 – Create your macro

Press a button on your MCE remote, and look for the short, 2 or 3 digit code that is generated, NOT the longer codes that will be there if you added the extra HID devices. You should not use these because they change each time you press a button. In order to have your MCE button presses cause an event, drag the log code from the logging box into the macro you have created. To be clear about which event your looking for, I have created this log snippet that shows an example of the events generated when I press the next button on my MCE remote. In this example I’ve pressed next twice and the HID.Button.179 event is generated with each button press, along with the longer HID.Button event that we don’t need. The shorter event stays consistent between button presses while the longer code changes after a few button presses
Example
HID.Button.179
HID.Button.1+13+228+255+255+20+4+15+128+32+3+248+255+255
HID.Button.1+13+228+255+255+20+4+15+128+32+3+248+255+255
HID.Button.179
HID.Button.1+13+228+255+255+20+132+15+128+32+3+248+255+255
HID.Button.1+13+228+255+255+20+132+15+128+32+3+248+255+255

And that's all there is to it but if your still stuck or don't understand, or even need screenshots then speak up, and someone will be glad to help