Server went down.

Keep up to date with EG related information here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Server went down.

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:34 am

I am sorry for the outage that dbus thing struck again. this time i spent quite a bit of time working on a solution. As you have probably noticed the site is running a lot faster now. This is because i compiled the latest version of the dbus module. I am hoping this is the solution to this problem from how things seem to be working and the fact that apache2 is not racking the CPU's time will tell if the apache session close properly But also the systemd-logind.service started up when the server rebooted without me having to bury my foot in it's ass. So these are good things.

Unfortunately the dbus 1.11 module is not considered a stable release. but compared to what was going on I thought how much worse could it get?!?!
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Server went down.

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:00 pm

I do want to tank everyone for their patience while these outages have been happening. I am trying to get a remedy as fast as possible and I am sorry for it happening.

Also, to the people in the western half of the United States I have discovered an issue that is not with our server but with a router at the data center where the server is located. this router only routs to the western half of the United States from what I could find. But the router has a speed problem. We should be getting about 250 mbit or so up and down and we are only getting about 40 and this is having a serious impact on performance for the site. I have sent off the information to the powers that be about the issue so we will see if they can resolve it.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Server went down.

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:40 am

I want to get feedback from everyone about how the site is performing since the latest change..

From my end of things It is quite a bit faster and doesn't hang after you click a link. I also made some MySQL and Apache changes to help boost performance. There still seems to be the issue with the western half of the United States, I am still working on this problem with the hosting company. Hopefully we will have a resolution sooner then later.

Even tho we had the couple of hiccups because of that dbus module. I think we still made the proper decision on the hosting company. we have a virtual machine with dedicated resources that we are able to scale if needed not locked into a yearly agreement. The only 3 limitations we have are. 10TB of bandwidth per month (BTW we only used about 60GB with server setup, a few backups and site traffic for the last month), We are not allowed to run virtual machines, and no illegal distribution of copyrighted material. I think those are fare.