We need an EventGhost historian

Keep up to date with EG related information here.
jachin99
Experienced User

We need an EventGhost historian

Post by jachin99 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:36 pm

Building on the About us page, it has been brought up that there might not be anyone around who really knows how old the program is or how it got its start. If you have been around the forums or you have been using the program forever, then please provide us with whatever history you might have about the software.

topix
Experienced User

Re: We need an EventGhost historian

Post by topix » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:01 pm

The first code upload to SourceForge by the initial developer Bitmonster was on 2007-02-23, but the first version released on SourceForge is version 0.0.11 on 2005-08-10. So EventGhost is at least nearly 12 Years old, but i guess Bitmonster was already coding on it before he released it to SourceForge.
Looking at the sourcecode for 0.0.11 there are files from 2005-06-17 (_run.bat, _setup.bat). I'm not sure if the green arrow (used as app icon) was his own work or if he found it in the net, but it is from 2005-01-20.

So i would say that EventGhost was born 2004/2005.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:19 pm

So that gives me an age, and I know why the project was handed over but what other significant events have occured since EG's inception. Kevin, when did you get involved in EG? I'm thinking the most recent events might be the most relevant but for me at least, the fact that EG is so old is a big positive because it shows the program can evolve, and maintain relevance, and it won't just be abandoned. Being a home automation tool, lasting support is especially important. When I remodel my house, or even build a new one, I want everything to work correctly and look good for at least 10 to 15 years, and EG isn't any different. One more question, what has Zain's role been throughout the life of the project, and exactly who owns which parts of Event Ghost

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:44 am

It really doesn't matter who owns what.. All that really matters is that development will continue.

The longevity of EG is extremely important. The fact it is still around even after the author walked away carries with it even more importance. it shows that EG is the best tool out there. because if ti wasn't and if it didn't have a loyal user base it would have simply vanished.

Zain was the one who stepped up to the plate when Bitmonster stated he was going to leave the project but was willing to "hand it over" to the users. from what i have read.. while the clock was ticking down. and there was less then one month left until Bitmonster shut it down. while everyone was talking about what to do. and hot to pay for the hosting.. things of that nature. Zain simply went and paid for the hosting. and gave EG a place to go. his did this from his own wallet. There were some folks that jumped right in once that portion of it was done and they set up the site. and moved the information to the new server. Had Zain not done what he did I believe that EG would no longer be available. I think that the people that were talking about what to do would have ended up not doing a thing. Tho Zain does not have the technical background to update things like the site or the code of EG he still kept it running. that is why there have been no real updates to the web page or the forum and when the media wiki broke it pretty much stayed that way.

I believe he was waiting for the right group of people to come along that had the knowledge and the drive to move EG forward. and those people had only the interest of the users in mind.

My history is I tried EG once a long while ago.. and to be honest I gave up because of the lack of support. then almost a decade later and i still has a support issue. but I found a guy i was able to talk to on GitHub called per1234 (known as pearbear here in the forums) had it not been for him I would have most likely given up on EG again. Due to the same lack of support. He showed me the possibilities with EG and from there I decided to shift gears from C++ coding on micro controllers to learning python (at this point I had been coding c++ for maybe at best 4-6 months). I was using a plugin for EG that did not work properly it was the Harmon Kardon Serial plugin. so I decided I would have a go at fixing it. and again i asked for some help and received none. extremely frustrating to say the least. But with Google and a little background in C++ I started reading code form the plugins. and searched Google for things i didn't understand. and through a lot of trial and error (more error then anything else) i started to learn EG. and what I learned that could be used to help someone in the forums I offered up the information. and if it worked and the person asking for help was able to get whatever it was they were working on to run, the happiness they had over it made me feel good. and i decided that I would do my best to help as many people as I could (call me greedy i guess because I wanted more of the good feeling) I didn't want anyone to have to go through what I had to do to learn. Event if i do not know the answer I will do my hardest to learn and help as best I can because even if the answer is wrong, or a solution has to be worked out. that is a whole lot better then getting no answer at all. so now here we are 2 years later. After trying to pump back into the forums all the things I have learned Zain saw it fit to make me a site administrator on this forum. I do not know why he decided to, I never asked. I figured he had his reasons and he would share them with me if he wanted to. If you want to know the reasons you would have to ask him. When he gave me this role, at the time i wasn't even sure I wanted it.. EG was going through a little bit of a power struggle and I wasn't sure if i wanted to be in the middle of it. But I thought well it couldn't hurt anything. and maybe I can show the world the best HA solution that has even been made. Zain is a busy person and the forums needed someone that was very active and was willing to help and also willing to listen and learn. I kind of fit that need. We were lucky enough to have topik2k step up to the plate to take the reins on the code side of things. Tho I have site admin access. I have no administrative role over the source code and the addition of new code. I have to do the same thing everyone else does and submit it and see if it is a worthy addition to be added. I believe we have a good group of people working on the project. we have a group of people who are able to communicate with one another and not squabble or fight about things. Everyone has respect for what each person contributes and does. It is a pretty well oiled machine to be honest with ya. Zain does what he does best and had been doing this past 10 years. He makes sure the bills get paid and that there are funds to pay them. topic2k heads up the source code. I seem to be the forum guy/server tech. we have pearbear on the documentation and dequi and yourself handling the website end of things. Everyone seems to respect the others "department" and how that person sees fit to operate that department. no one seems to be trying to tell someone else how to run their department. which is an awesome thing as this is what usually causes a lot of problems in a community project. and I am one happy individual knowing that the people that are doing the things they are doing are adults (mental state) and know how to treat/talk to one another and no one gets upset if someone else doesn't like an idea or a suggestion. or if their idea/suggestion was not used. I have a lot of respect for the people that are helping EG grow. and not 1 of them is afraid to state they do not know. or that they were wrong about something. or take criticism to heart. they all learn from the criticism and from any mistakes that are made. they only keep whatever goal it is they have in focus and move forward never looking behind or dwelling on things that are in the past. Every person that has helped anyone else with EventGhost over the years I thank you. without you doing that EG could have very well fizzled away.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:38 pm

a wikipedia page would be cool.
And, of course, interesting to some.

Does EG tweet?
Maybe he should.
Is it a he? lol

History is important.
;)
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:13 pm

Here is the official story on how I got my hands on the keys to the EG sight and domain...
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2341

The condensed version is...
Bitmonster said he was leaving and when.
He said he would hand it hall over if we (the community) took charge / had a plan by such and such date.
ster an oh darn. That sucks. And after few days of worry and fret and talk and talk.
I plunked $10 or so dollars down, hit some keys, registered "new" domain, said here you go, he said OK.
I asked for help/volunteers/knowledge... folks pitched in stepped up helped out even donated money.

Jitterjames did most all the changeover heavy lifting of EG.www.v.2... and he fixed what I broke in the mean time. lol

And here we are... at the rim of phase 3.
The Third Dimension of EG
(intro music cue)
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:11 am

How many times has EG been downloaded?
How many distinct installs etc.
I wonder.
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:24 pm

i can tell you this. in the past month and 3 weeks. since we moved the site. EG has been downloaded about 3000 times. and these are unique downloads. and these are the people that do not have tracking turned off in their browsers. or have ad blockers. so the number is in all reality probably twice that I would imagine. could be more then that. who knows. but 3000 times in 7 weeks is pretty good.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:21 pm

Maybe we can use that to determine how much help a typical user needs to figure out EG also. I haven't seen a huge bump in help requests so EG can't be THAT hard to figure out for most people. I have no idea how many of those people downloaded it, and used it or had a question answered by searching the forums, google, etc. but considering that number, not many asked for help. Maybe what we need now it to entice them to use the forums, etc.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:09 pm

or it is not what they expected and discontinued use. or they do not like it at all. there would be way more activity in the forum if people were using it.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:58 am

How do you feel about the possibility of EG reporting to us when it gets ununstalled

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:57 am

don't and wouldn't need to do that

When we get the plugin repo working we will know how often it is getting used based on the number of downloaded plugins..