About EventGhost

Keep up to date with EG related information here.
jachin99
Experienced User

About EventGhost

Post by jachin99 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:57 pm

I've been working with the site to come up with a few additional pages that describe what the program does, and the members of the forum themselves. After going back and forth with Kgschlosser, we have come up with this, and we just wanted to gather some feedback before we finalize it so everyone post your thoughts

Event Ghost is a free home automation program that enables competing technologies to work together by providing them with a platform through which they can control one another. The program accomplishes this through an interface that is so easy to use that if you can drag and drop a file, then you are qualified to use Event Ghost. Automation or macros as we call them can occur either through direct user interaction, or on their own in a Smart Home environment. In short, Event Ghost is very likely the only piece of software that will allow you to open your garage door with your Xbox controller.

The best part about Event Ghost is that it is extensible, and has over 300 unique plugins available. Some examples of devices that Event Ghost can control are Phillips Hue, Amazon Echo, Sonos, MicasaVerde Vera, Sony, Pioneer, Denon/Marantz, Yamaha, RTI, and many others. Supported automation protocols include MQTT, IFTTT, TCP/IP, Serial (rs232 and the like), Consumer IR, X10, and pretty much any spoken human language. Event Ghost can automate actions within your device as well Including but not limited to mouse movements, keyboard operations, opening and closing running programs, changing sound and video settings, and controlling monitor actions. It has a built-in notification service that will tell you when you plug in or unplug a device, change from outlet to battery power, or put your computer to sleep. Event Ghost developers love the program so much that they have been known to produce new plugins almost on-demand so if you have an idea, and Event Ghost is unable to do it, feel free to setup an account and ask for your plugin to be created.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: About EventGhost

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:41 pm

We wanted to know what everyone thinks of this. something to be used as a description to EventGhost. the plugins that are listed we are going to change them up to the top plugins that are downloaded... some help listing the plugins would be cool also.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

yokel22
Experienced User

Post by yokel22 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:28 pm

That is a pretty accurate description of e.g. I would add something about how eg's event based automation works. How one device can trigger actions on a completely different device(protocol). It's the (beguiling) simplicity of eg's event based system that really sets it apart from other automation software. Maybe add something about multiple zwave plugins. As it's a popular protocal.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:49 pm

I have actually started coding up native z-wave support. so a zwave dongle (usb zwave receiver) can be used without the need for any other software. I am going to have to learn how to use swig. and this could take some time to do.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image