Looking for some help

Keep up to date with EG related information here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Looking for some help

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:31 am

I am in need of someone that knows their way around designing a website. I can poke about with it myself. and I would have to spend some time to learn. and there in is my problem. I simply do not have the time.

If there is anyone that has the knowledge and the time and is willing to help out we sure could use it. I would like for the website to have a facelift for when we go live with the new server. and between getting the new server into shape. developing the docs and or scripts to get the site moved, helping out in the forum. and things in my own personal life it would be to much for me to learn how to build one. So if there is anyone that would be willing to help that would awesome. send me a PM if you are up to the task.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

jachin99
Experienced User

Re: Looking for some help

Post by jachin99 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:36 pm

I would really LIKE to help but I'm also in a time crunch because I'm studying for my CISSP. I take the test this weekend, and if I pass it, I'm going to try to spend a month or two learning more about programming/web design. I'm thinking I might know enough to build a basic web page but I wouldn't want to work on the live site, and it would be a really good idea to have it go through some kind of review. I wish I had more to offer but thats about it for the time being. If your looking for a qualified or experienced designer then I'm probably not it but from a graphical design standpoint webpages aren't too hard and I already know a little bit

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:32 pm

you're hired!

and no not on the live site at the moment. I have the new server set up so it can run as many websites as we need. I am working on getting multiple instances of mysql running at the moment. but if you have time after this test then that would be a huge help to me. so start generating a list of some ideas you come up with and we can go from there. the EG site is pretty basic. and I want to keep it that way but adding an about us page. as well as some insight into where EG is form and where it's going. an explanation of what it can do. and how it can pull together any home automation project. things of that nature. the site needs to have some more meat to it then it does. but we also need to make the site in a manner that makes it SEO i feel we have the links on other sites but there are missing elements like keywords in the title of the site. and maybe getting more of those keywords into the description and about us sections. for example when you key in home automation software EG isn't in the first 5 pages

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:06 pm

Ok, I can give that a try. What might help me are some use cases where other people have used event ghost in the past to solve some kind of problem where other programs could not help them. Off of the top of my head, at least for me, Event ghost lets me consolidate everything to one remote control, and I can't really say that about any other program I've ever used. I think things like that make the software unique. It might be helpful to ask others how event ghost has helped them. I'll look into search engine optimization some also. What keywords were you using when you were looking for google search hits, and what words would like to lead to the site? A few keywords that I can think of are things like smart things, zigbee, zwave, etc. I would also have to confirm that those plugins exist.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:41 pm

keywords would be

Home Automation
Zwave
ZigBee
Open Source
Python
Pretty much all of the big device Manufacturers names

IDK what else.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:15 am

Are you trying talk more people into trying event ghost or do you want to generate traffic, and only keep the enthusiasts? I know that might come off as kind of a harsh question but it might help when I'm writing something "about us". what kind of things would you say about us, and what kind of things do you think other people would say about us. What do we want people to know about us?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:48 am

OK this this is going to be a loaded answer.

i don't care about traffic for making dollars to keep the bills paid per say. what i do care about it for is to generate revenue to have contests, or giveaways. kick some coin back to those spending the hours. (exclusion, myself) that are working on the EG project. whether it be helping with the website, or helping with the core code. making plugins. writing docs.

I want people to be able to find EG to be able to use it and experience the true benefits of it. and the simplicity of use. There are so many other pieces of software out there that have way to much built into it. it's overly confusing/complicated it tries to add everything into one piece of software but in a manner which makes it act like it has bits and pieces slapped onto it and those pieces do not talk to one another.

EG is simply the most versatile and easy to understand/use piece of software available. once a user gets the basic understanding of how the payloads work and what the different data types are that a payload can be most of the scripting becomes if elif else. (and there is an idea for an added action to the EG core).

"If a device/software/person/..... can communicate then EventGhost can talk to it." and it can do that is the most simplistic manner I have seen thus far. EG never tries to be something it's not. it is a Translator plain and simple. it can take 2 devices that in no way are able to communicate with one another and acts as an interpreter. It never tries to be anything more then that. because that is all that is really needed to make Home automation work the way you want. EG doesn't tell the light to turn on. or the TV to turn off. something else does. EG simply makes it possible.

for the novice it can be used mostly with simple drag and drop. for the simple things like marrying a button on a remote to turn the light on. even if the light is on the other side of the planet.
but for the most advanced setups it has the power to handle hundreds of devices at the same time. along side creating menu systems and gui interfaces. publishing webpages. We even have EG running inside of a school to automate things a teacher does. in the schools computer system. and because of it's portability a single instance of EG is in an image and when the teacher logs in that image gets loaded and a powershell script that is assigned to that teacher runs and loads a tree and config file that is specific to that teacher or group of teachers based on windows domain permissions. the possibilities are endless. and there is no other "Automation" (ditched the Home because it's not only for home use) software that has that kind of flexibility. There are so many other people in this world that could really benefit from using EG. I am pretty sure we could probably put a stamp on it that states it uses the smallest amount of system resources. has the smallest size, and is the most flexible HA software ever made. It is also one of the oldest if not these oldest and it is still being developed.

I personally have EG controlling 5 HTPC's, 4 TV's, 1 projector, several dozen micro controllers. AVR's, security, cameras, remote controls, even my alarm clock. in fact i just picked up a controller today that will handle all of my landscape lighting. and EG can talk to it. i don't know how many tree items i have but i do know it is in the thousands. and it runs. never have to restart it. it doesn't hang or crash. it just does it's job. and it does it in just under 100 meg of ram. and it does it with extreme speed.

EG has the flexibility to overcome the shortfalls of other devices/hardware.

I sinply believe that there is a world of people that if they knew about EG it could make their lives simpler. and it doesn't cost a dime. only some of their time. If you took all the times you had to go back into a room to turn a light off because you forgot through out your whole life and added it up. it would be weeks if not months you could have been spending with family. or doing something you enjoy. It can make it so that an injury would never happen for something as simple as forgetting to turn the outside light on and when you get home you trip and fall because you can't see. think about all the benefits it has, it extends way past Home Automation. it borders on being able to take the complexities out of life.

And not enough people have had the chance to see this. And i believe they should be given that chance.

topix
Experienced User

Post by topix » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:30 am

kgschlosser wrote:it is a Translator plain and simple. it can take 2 devices that in no way are able to communicate with one another and acts as an interpreter.
I like those sentences. Sounds like a good advertising slogan.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:24 pm

that is the main purpose of EG, to make it so that an incoming request (event) can send the proper information out to make a specific device/software do a specific thing (action)

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:00 pm

Good news, I passed the test so I should be able to help out some. One other thought I had was how will having a bilingual site effect these pages? Should we do something a little different for the German EG Users, and if so who could help out with that?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:39 pm

@jachin99

first off congratulations on the exam.. Some of the exams I took to get my MCSE were not all that easy. and if it was anything like the exams I did which were though a Prometrics testing center and were adaptive tests, which is a test that if you get a question wrong it will keep on asking questions that are related those, what a pain. Or where it was a 2 page question with 10 multiple guess answers where all of the answers were technically correct but it had to be the one that Microsoft stated was the proper way. WHEW! memories.....

now it's time to put some of that knowledge to use :D

for something like that we would have to have everything translated. I would like you to send a PM to dequi He has started some work with the site. I am thinking between the 2 of you and the time each of ya are able to put in we should be able to get something rocking pretty quickly. If you can touch base with him and ask him what piece/pieces he would like work done on and find out what the general game plan is. If you aren't signed up with GitHub now is the time to do it. and if you are ok then. but either way I am going to need the e-mail address you use to login to GitHub. shoot me a PM with it. I am going to send you an invitation to slack it's an IM basically but geared more twords the programming side of things. But i do want you to touch base with dequi give him some of you background and what you know how to do and even better is what you are willing to learn. I know his schedule is spotty so it might take him a bit to get back to you but I am sure that the 2 of you will come up with a game plan and when ya do lay it on me. He has started already so lay some ideas on him

I do appreciate the help.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:56 pm

Ok, PM sent. I'll try to write the page in the next day or two, and we can figure out how to get onto the forum from there, provided my writing is acceptable. For the test they do make you choose between four right answers but the questions are relatively short, and I don't think its an adaptive test but I'm not sure. They don't really tell you anything about the test, and even before you go into the exam center you sign a non-disclosure agreement, and they have you empty your pockets, and pat you down. They even had me take off my glasses to examine them for a small camera haha.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:03 pm

yeah I had to do the same process as well. but with my tests only one person could take them at a time. even tho they had a line of testing booths.

i told dequi that you would be PM'n him so see what he needs done. or put something together for ideas. I do not know if you are familiar with wordpress. I started reading about it. I also mentioned this to him I don't know if that would be a viable option for ya. I do not mind buying a template if needs be and altering it to something that would suit us. so if you wanted to go and have a look see at some of the templates it's a good way to get ideas.

just let me know what ya come up with. Also did ya do the thing with GitHub?? and if you do have an account if ya PM me the email address you used to sign up with and I will send you an invite to slack