We may have found the way.... Service

Keep up to date with EG related information here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

We may have found the way.... Service

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:59 am

we may have found the means to make EG into a service... there would have to be some testing done to 100% confirm that we can. but we should be able to split EG into 2 pieces. the GUI and the actual meat and potatoes that would be the service. Through the use of named pipes we would be able to transfer data between the 2 so the GUI would basically not do a whole hell of a lot except send to the service what has been clicked on and the service would tell the GUI what to display and when.

all of this hinges on wx.App and if it can run in a service. this is because there are a couple of hidden frames (a window) that EG creates in order to receive messages/notifications from Windows. if these can be created in a service then we are good to go. it all depends on what Windows considers interacting with the user (explorer.exe) because a service is not allowed to do this. but i do not know the extent of the restriction.

BONUS! if this works.. then we would design the communication process in a way that you could install apache and make up a web GUI for EG.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

m19brandon
Experienced User

Re: We may have found the way.... Service

Post by m19brandon » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:43 am

This would be great. If a webgui was added that would be great too.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:30 am

Windows permissions are a real pain. and it's hard to find any documentation on how programmatically deal with them.

Still running into an issue using named pipes and running EG as an administrator.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:10 am

well i just got past the permissions problem!! YAY!!!! so soon enough i will be splitting EG into 2 parts. that is going to take a while