OK so here is the skinny

Keep up to date with EG related information here.

How to fix the attachments problem

Keep on deleting the history that got us here
No votes
Move the hosting to another provider
100%
Do nothing and loose the ability to attach anything to a forum post.
No votes

Total votes: 2

kgschlosser
Site Admin

OK so here is the skinny

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:05 pm

This is the low down on what is taking place. I am going to paste the e-mails to you from our web host . This way you can see the BS that I am dealing with. But because of recent problems with the attachments I am thinking we are most likley going to change web hosts. I am really looking at using a VPS (Virtual Private Server) these do cost a little more but you have complete control of the system. you are not limited at all and you don't have to run what they tell you to or they provide. right down to the OS. because of php7 and phpbb 3.2 supporting php7 this is what is what i would install. the reason is php7 is 2 times faster and is easier on the ram so that is always a good thing.

as far as the vPS goes i am thinking of a dual core 2.4ghz 20 Gib SDD and 2 Gib ram this is a saleable thing so if at any point we find out that we are running out of memory. or the CPU is being hammered a couple of simple clicks on the mouse and we have added some extra power.

but we have a debockle. we are in contract with the current web host until February of next year. and I highly doubt that they will refund the money. they will state that we are in some kind of a violation of the TOS. I can see this already happening. the we have a choice to make. and that choice is to stay where we are. and keep on deleting the history that got us here so we can stay on a path and have the tools necessary to provide the support and plugins that expand the functionality of EG and bring new folks to use it on a daily basis. or we can max out the attachments and flounder for almost year not having those tools available to us. Or we can move the site to a space where we have control over these kinds of things and not allow this to happen again.

The latter is what I am voting for. But is going to require money to do this. We will have to walk away from the hosting that has been paid for We can cross our fingers and hope they will refund it. and if they do we can split it evenly and redistribute it back to the folks that donated. or we can come up with some other cool thing to do with it. now we do not have to go with a 3 year plan we can get a shorter term. but the typical price increases are about 20% for each year you shorten it. which is a sizeable jump.

Set the bar as high as possible but if we don't make it we aren't down and out we will have to go with a shorter term.

The total dollar amounts for going with a 1, 2 or 3 year is
3yr - 500.00 USD
2yr - 400.00 USD
1yr - 234.00 USD

I have personally received some donations in the past couple of days. and that will go right into the pot.
so the first donation is 100.00 USD if moving the hosting is what we decide to do.

As you can see I have created a poll on what to do. I have enabled the ability to recast your vote if you happen to change your mind. I am personally going to start the process of creating an identical server of what would be on the VPS server and documenting each and every step involved in setting the server up. i don't want to waste any time so if you happen to vote this way the process will be faster and smoother. I am also going to open up the donations. and if the votes go a different way I will refund all of the money back to the people that donated. I do want to let you know that with me returning the money I will personally have to kick in 10% of the donated amount to issue the refund and I am OK with this I just wanted to let everyone know what the total expenses are.

click the button below to make donation for moving to a new web host

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: OK so here is the skinny

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:19 pm

and here are the E-Mails. be sure to go to the links he provided in his e-mails to me. but this is the kind of insanity I am dealing with. I also started to lose composure as this process went on and my patience slowly disappeared

------------------------- From me ---------------------------

Sent: Monday, June 5, 2017 3:32:50 PM
To: ****** Lapp
Subject: Uploading problems

Good Evening Mr. Lapp,

I am one of the site administrators for EventGhost.net. The account customer number ******. Mr. Wilson had told you that I would possibly be in touch and here I am. We seem to be having an issue with uploading phpBB attachments. I believe I have found the problem and I would l ike to I want to confirm this is what it is and if there is a resolution to it. The attachments folder for phpBB is rather large. The problem seems to stem from the attachments directory having 6000 files in it. I believe there is a cap of 6000 files because if I remove attachments in the forum the number of files in the directory drops and attachments begin working again. As soon as the number of files hits 6000 it stops functioning again. If this is the case and there is a cap is there a way to remove this cap?

eagerly awaiting your answer.

Kevin Schlosser

--------------------------- Reply --------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 12:59 AM
To: Kevin Schlosser
Subject: Re: Uploading problems

https://uk.godaddy.com/help/c3-hosting- ... ives-19911

https://uk.godaddy.com/help/php-upload- ... sting-1475
PHP upload limits on shared hosting | GoDaddy Help GB
uk.godaddy.com
The above settings change your PHP upload limit, allowing you to upload files up to 50MB in size. Maximum upload limits. The upload limit does not guarantee an upload ...

Sent: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 7:01:39 AM
To: ****** Lapp

Mr. Lapp,

The first link you send me doesn't exist. and the second is only about individual file sizes in an upload. the latter is not the issue that is taking place the issue could be an inode cap placed on directories. I know that there is one for the whole hosting package. but I have also read that there is one for individual directories. but no mention of what the cap is. this is the information I am looking for.

Also I would like to know what our bandwidth usage is. There is an "App" for this but it always reports either a Null or a 0. so this is not functioning properly. If you culd provide me with a years worth of that data it would be appreciated..

Thanks again

Kevin Schlosser

Sent: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:09 AM

unlimited bandwidth

https://uk.godaddy.com/help/what-filena ... o-use-8913
What filename does my PHP initialization file need to use ...
uk.godaddy.com
What filename does my PHP initialization file need to use? | GoDaddy Help IL Products Increasing User File Upload Limits Using php.ini on Your Linux Server | VPS ...

Sent: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 7:29:18 AM
To: ******* Lapp

Mr. Lapp,

You are sending me links that have nothing to do with the questions I am asking. The question I am asking is very simple

What is the maximum number of files I am allowed to have in a single directory.

What is my monthly bandwidth usage for the past year.

Thanks

Kevin Schlosser

Sent: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:43 AM

there is is no maximum upload or bandwidth

Sent: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:08:01 AM
To: ******* Lapp

I want to know what the maximum number of files in a directory is.

and i want to know what my bandwidth usage is each month for the past 12 months. I do not care if it is "unlimited" I still want to know the metrics

Kevin Schlosser

Sent: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 9:10 AM

ok if you give me a phone number and are able to verify into the account ill give you a call

------------------------------------------------------------

and this was the end... I replied with the phone number and have not gotten a call.. nor do i expect to. and i never got my questions answered. what a bunch of BULLSHIT! (excuse the language but there is no word in the english language that fits as good as this one does)
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

Diz
Experienced User

Post by Diz » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:39 pm

No wonder you wanna move... that crap is unbelievable!

pearbear
Experienced User

Post by pearbear » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:58 pm

From what I've seen, and I haven't done any research on this for a few years, GoDaddy is more expensive than lesser-known options. People use them because they see the TV commercials with the celebrities but they don't stop to consider who is paying for those commercials, the customers! I'm not surprised to see that GoDaddy was the host because back when I was on satellite internet I always had problems with websites hosted by GoDaddy, I believe caused by the high latency. It seems that GoDaddy sets their timeouts much lower than anyone else. I never had problems with websites with other hosts. Luckily I now have a different type of ISP that doesn't have the latency of satellite but for years I was rarely able to access the EventGhost forum.

I think we need more information on the sustainability of increasing the costs of running the forum. According to a post from zian I saw some months ago, the ad revenue is more than sufficient to pay the current operating expenses. I'm concerned about creating a situation where the expenses are more than the income and we must rely on a constant stream of donations to keep it going. I'm not so much concerned about the need to raise funds to cover the one-time cost of the transition but about the long term picture.

Will the current ad revenue cover the ongoing VPS hosting fees and other expenses such as domain name registration?

Is there any obvious trend in the ad revenue (average increase or decrease over time)? It seems like the forum and the community in general has been less active recently. If this continues I suspect we could expect less income.

Is there any way to increase ad revenue, such as by adding more ads to the site?

What alternatives are there to VPS and what is the price difference?

Is there an option of an upgrade with the current host that will allow for more attachments without losing the money paid for the rest of the year?

Have you asked the host if they will refund?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:01 am

pearbear wrote:Will the current ad revenue cover the ongoing VPS hosting fees and other expenses such as domain name registration?
Yes, the reason I am asking for donations is because we need to pay for the new site in order to set it up and have it running side by side with the old one until we can make sure that it is running properly. and in the event that godaddy does not refund the money then there is none to get new hosting. hence the reason why i stated that if wee get a refund then that money would be cut up in a manner that reflected the percentage of the new hosting cost that was covered by that donation not including me.
so as an example if you donated 200 dollars then you would get back 50 % of the refunded amount.
pearbear wrote:Is there any obvious trend in the ad revenue (average increase or decrease over time)? It seems like the forum and the community in general has been less active recently. If this continues I suspect we could expect less income.
OK so look in the past EG has been a lot slower then what it is right now. and then the ad revenue was enough to cover it. and we are also entering summertime So i would expect things to dip
pearbear wrote:Is there any way to increase ad revenue, such as by adding more ads to the site?
Foot traffic
pearbear wrote:What alternatives are there to VPS and what is the price difference?
You have Shared hosting which is a single webserver that hosts however many websites. thoes are the types of servers that have the inode limitations and processor use limitations.
the VPS (basically a virtual machine) This gives you dedicated number of CPU cores/memory/hdd space. no odd limitations
dedicated server.. you get the whole box
pearbear wrote:Is there an option of an upgrade with the current host that will allow for more attachments without losing the money paid for the rest of the year?
I am guessing you didn't read the e-mails. They like to hide things. and also a VPS solution with them is more expensive then what i have found elsewhere. we would have to upgrade to a VPS with godaddy which would require moving the site anyways. and if i am going to go through that i am not staying with them.
pearbear wrote:Have you asked the host if they will refund?
I haven't yet. and this is due to some of the readings on the internet with what others have dealt with. and when they asked if they could get their money back if they decided to go to another web hosting company. within a week they had their site shutdown by godaddy with godaddy stating they were in violation of the TOS and they couldn't even get their data unless they paid all kinds of fees for things like going over a disk quota (which is the classification we fall into) I found a document on godaddy's website that states we are allowed to have 1024 inodes per directory and a file with a name less then 16 characters in length counts as one. and over that counts as 2. and our file names are longer then 16 so technically speaking if that document is correct then we are only supposed to have 512 files in any given folder. and we have 6000 so i don't want to go rattling their cage just yet. not until we have something in place beforehand
pearbear wrote:I think we need more information on the sustainability of increasing the costs of running the forum. According to a post from zian I saw some months ago, the ad revenue is more than sufficient to pay the current operating expenses. I'm concerned about creating a situation where the expenses are more than the income and we must rely on a constant stream of donations to keep it going. I'm not so much concerned about the need to raise funds to cover the one-time cost of the transition but about the long term picture.
i understand your concern here, and i share it with you. but the cost per month if we do a 3 year term for the VPS is about 2 dollars more a month then what we are paying now. so it's not like it's a huge increase. it simply the unknown about getting a refund and the initial outlay of cash for a 3 year plan. one of the reasons why i have put 100 in the pot so far. and if i manage to free up some extra cash or if i get more personal donations they will go in there as well. If i didn't have the hemorrhaging of coin on my house i would simply pay for it myself. so I am not necessarily worried about the adsense in the future. plus the VPS gives us the ability of scaling the thing. for example if i wanted to add an extra CPU core it would be 2 dollars more a month. and i can add it without the need to move the site. plus if we run our cpu's at 100% there is no TOS violation for doing this. because we paid for them. if you do a shared hosting plan and have to many processes or use to much CPU time then you get charged/fined/suspended and have to pay all of the costs before you get any of your data back. I also found out that godaddy does not backup your data. even tho they say they do backups. they only backup the mysql database. and not the files. well the forum will not be able to be restored unless the attachments are backed up as well.
and also since we have gotten the MediaWiki up and running. godaddy also imposes limitations on the amount of information stored in MySql. there are to many limitations on their so called "unlimited" plan

pearbear
Experienced User

Post by pearbear » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:08 am

Thanks, I actually had written all but the first paragraph of that reply before you posted the emails.

I'm currently using namecheap for my hosting. I originally started using them for domain registration only and was using a different company named MochaHost for hosting but I didn't like that company because they had a universal spam filter that was causing me to miss emails and there was no way for it to be disabled. I decided I would just consolidate everything for my websites to one place. I like Namecheap for domains because they make them easy to manage but the hosting seems to be tacked on as an afterthought. I suspect they are a reseller. Some of the processes such as setting up a dedicated IP for SSL could be automated much more, instead I have to message back and forth with tech support, which seems quite inefficient. The price seems to be reasonable and I have been fairly happy, though my usage is very minimal. The only other problem I had was a couple of times they have automatically activated an email spam filter on my accounts without notifying me that caused me to not receive important business emails. They disabled the filter as soon as I complained (which was much better than MochaHost) but I was not a happy customer, especially the second time it happened. I mentioned to a web developer friend of mine that I was using Namecheap and he ended up switching to using them for his clients after checking it out because they had less restrictions than the company he was using previously on the database usage for the same shared hosting rates.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:57 am

I honestly can't believe that phpbb doesn't have a mechanism in place so that the administrator can set a max number of files in the attachments folder and when that number is reached it will create another folder and start filling that one up. I mean it's really simple. they have to store the name of the actual file for the attachment. how hard would it be to add the directory name and a / before the filename? it really blows my mind. because I know that godaddy is not the only one that has this limitation. But the same issue would hold true for avatars as well. if you have a crap load of users with custom avatars. you can tab out the folder. the real pain was the error message or lack there of.

the only way to be out from under any kind of processor/process/disk limitations is to either go VPS or dedicated. and seeing as how VPS is really not to much more expensive then shared hosting it seems the way to go. Now as far as go daddy is concerned. trust you me when the time comes to get the cash back I will be all over it. I have a nack for being able to find CEO's e-mail addresses. and i will e-mail him/her and give them a very clear understanding of the cause of the problems in their company. and they don't like that to much. But it does get things done. but before i go pissin in someone's cheerios i need to have something else in place and running. I am sick and tired of companies ripping people off and or giving sub standard service/merchandise. hell i called the manufacturer of hungry man dinners. to bitch them out because I always have green beans in my cherry cobbler. and corn in my potatoes. and I also wanted to know what was wrong with the chicken. because the corn and the green beans would never be mixed in with the chicken. it's like they knew something. I said that to the woman on the phone. but i did it in a semi serious manner. I could feel right through the phone that she wanted to bust out laughing. so I said.. Go ahead laugh. it was supposed to make you laugh. but it is the truth. and she started to laugh and said ya know i never thought about it but you are right nothing ever goes into the chicken. but they will end up in the gravy for the turky or pretty much any other main course. but not the fried chicken. i ended up with 10 free dinners for that.

addidas send me 64 pairs of socks. because i bitched at them because my socks only lasted 3 months before they got holes in them. nedless to say everyone i know got socks for x-mas :D 8)

pearbear
Experienced User

Post by pearbear » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:38 pm

Yeah, that's surprising to me also if there's no way to have multiple folders. My understanding is that having too many files in a folder can have a negative impact on performance so it's not only a problem of limitations imposed by the hosting company. 6000 is not really so many but a popular forum could greatly exceed that number.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:11 pm

pearbear wrote:Yeah, that's surprising to me also if there's no way to have multiple folders. My understanding is that having too many files in a folder can have a negative impact on performance so it's not only a problem of limitations imposed by the hosting company. 6000 is not really so many but a popular forum could greatly exceed that number.
yeah no kidding. the really screwey thing is i did find a doc on the inode limitations per folder with a shared hosting plan with go daddy. and this is why i don't want to go all out on them yet.

but the doc states the limitation per directory is 1024 inodes. which is normally 1024 files. but with go daddy a filename less then 16 characters is 1 and from there to something like 32 is 2 and above that is 3

so technically speaking we should only have 512 files in there.. and this is go daddys typical way of doing things. they don't warn or tell you that you are over the limit. they just let you do it.. then they shut you off send you a notice and you get a nice fat bill and they will shanghai your data until you pay the bill. and the bill is a lot of the time in the several thousands of dollars. hence you can see why i just want away from them and i am not trying to fix it with them anymore. it sucks that i do not have the bandwidth use. but i can put some script in there to do that for me. i just won't have a nice average to look at. and this is also a slow time so it really screws us. but with the VPS we are able to adjust it if we need more. what i have found is that any hosting package that offers "unlimited" bandwidth impose all of the other wacky "limitations" so they can limit the unlimited plan without directly doing so. better to pay for the bandwidth and not have to worry about the other hidden things,

dequi
Experienced User

Post by dequi » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:02 am

My vote goes toward changing hosting, goDaddy is not keeping up. The php versions you have available are now un-supported and that limits the ability to upgrade/patch to more secure versions of mediaWiki and phpBB.

That said you need to discuss with zian about the ad revenue, I've seen an old post somewhere where he states revenue is around $100/month, which would cover operating costs when moving to a VPS but that info might be outdated and he never did confirm this to me.

What VPS hosting company are you considering? I think it really needs to be a company that has hosting as it core business, not an individual who is running his own server in the basement.
/dequi

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:12 pm

I have been talking to zian about the fiscals and the monthly should be OK. it's the initial outlay is where the hiccup is. it's very unexpected and the hosting has already been paid for issue is we don't know if the money will come back to us. and we should treat it as lost dollars. If by chance we get a refund then hooray! and if not it's what we expected so it won't be a let down.

I have no specific one in mind I have been scouring the internet reading reviews and opinions and reading about available options as well ass all of the TOS agreements (god i hate TOS agreements) to see if there are any hidden surprises like with go daddy (which pretty much states. "we have your money, so you're fucked") excuse the verbage there. but it pretty much sums it up in a word.

I personally live in Colorado. and it's a very large technically driven place to be..There is a very large Oracle Campus here same goes for HP and i believe Intel as well.. Not sure if Microsoft is here as well. but I wouldn't doubt it. So there is also a large host presence here.. the actual companies/servers with real buildings and people inside them.. I personally like having the option to go and knock on a door and talk to someone if something is not going right. so i was leaning at possibly a place that is local to me. I have not done this as of yet. and the thing that would sell me is if i asked for a tour of the facility and if they said yes That would almost sell me. because we are small potatoes. and they will still cater to us.. that has some weight to it. I might even be able to post some photos and that way people will know what we are doing with the donations/ad moneys.

But if you have a suggestion as far as a hosting company. nothing is etched in stone as of yet so please any suggestions i want. I want to explore every possible option..

@dequi

do you feel that going the route of a VPS is the way to go.. is it the right thing to do? and if you could list off your thoughts about it and pros/cons what I want to do is not always the right thing or the best thing to do. so I am making sure that I have explored every possible option and weighed the benefits/downfalls But from what I can tell if the right hosting company is located the VPS is the best option with our budget and giving us the flexibility to upgrade software install new software and basically be able to alter/change anything we want to. with giving us the flexibility to very easily upgrade/add extras as needed without the need to move the site for a long while the next step after this would be a dedicated server and if we get to that point then EG has exploded in popularity. (which i want to have happen yesterday, but the reality of it is we have to fix/upgrade first)

And the forum is the most demanding thing on the site. and if we are able to get to php7 and phpbb3.2 the site will run 2 times faster and actually require less resources then the present state.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:25 pm

now if i could find someone that is willing to make a new website. actually give me a working demo and not a Photoshop rendering of what it could look like. have the thing coded up. I think we need to update the layout of the page. the big reason why is to tell people.. "hey look! We aren't stagnant. We are alive and we are working on EG and Hey BTW here is a new release of EG also!"

Now that is a good idea. Changes the servers the day we bring it online have a new front end, have the media wiki cleaned up and squared away as best as humanly possible. get a list for the plugins and where to obtain them on the site. also list the new plugins as well as ones that have been recently undergone huge upgrades. updated version of the forum and mobile version. and also kick out the full release of EG 0.5. and we need to find a way to get out there and tell people about EG and the fact that it had a kind of grand re opening with a lot of movement/development. updated the core for better compatibility with windows 10. a lot of new plugins have been added and a lot of old ones have been updated/new features added.

I kinda like that idea.

does anyone else agree?