Logos

Keep up to date with EG related information here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Logos

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:24 pm

I would like to start making an inventory of logos for all of the various plugins. Not the plugin logo. but the logo of the device/software that EG has the ability to control. I have been looking about at various other HA solutions. and I have always found myself gravitating to a page that specifically lists or shows the icons of the 3rd party devices/software that can be attached. I think that if this information was posted on the website it would generate more interest in EG. there is a list of all of the plugins that has been created by dequi and is located here https://github.com/dequi/eg-PluginDatabase would like the icons to be 256 x 256 transparent background png. what i may do is fork dequi github and people can issue PR's for the added logos against my account. and when we got a pretty complete inventory of available plugins we can start making this plugin repository happen.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

jachin99
Experienced User

Re: Logos

Post by jachin99 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:24 pm

One thing to consider, and you can call me out in this if I'm wrong but I would also be careful about distributing my own software and attaching another company's logo to it. I personally like the idea of having logos. Getting permission for some of these might be a worthwhile step if I am reading your post correctly.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:03 pm

not for distribution of the software. this would be on the website. to let people know what devices/software we can control

pearbear
Experienced User

Post by pearbear » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:14 am

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Trademark/CommunityLogo
There isn't an Arduino specific plugin that I know of but many of the plugins can be used to interface with Arduino boards (Serial port, Network Event Sender/Receiver, Broadcaster, MQTT). The above logo has a Creative Commons license, as opposed to the standard Arduino logo, which "can only be used by Arduino on products, websites and publications". I'm not sure what kind of trademark issues might occur with all the other logos that don't offer this sort of permissive licensing.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:40 am

Most companies will have this kind of license on their logog. but also will have a webpage about using the logos as well. if there is no webpage about the use then a simple e-mail to ask. an explanation of what the logo is being used for and why the logo needs to be used should do the trick.

Code: Select all

To whom it may concern,

I would like to obtain permission to use your logo as a means of visual identification of supported device/software. The logo would not be altered in any fashion and would be grouped with other logos from other companies. The logo is for identification of the availability of an add-on/extension to our main control platform. All software written involving your device/software is open source and is distributed under the GNU 2.0 license. The main software is called EventGhost and is also GNU 2.0 licensed and is open source as well. The logo will not be distributed with any of the components, extension and core software alike. It will only reside on the web server. There may be an extension repository created to distribute the extensions. This repository would also reside on the web server as well. And would also like permission to load the logo when the repository is called. there will be no files created that will store the logo on the remote computer it will be held in memory so when the interface is closed the logo gets cleared. 

EventGhost Is the most flexible Home Automation software available to date. It has been around for ***get number of years eventghost has been made*** years. and is given away freely and can be altered or changed by anyone who has the need to. Eventghost is largely made to interact with extensions to control/gather data from various PC hardware, PC software, and external hardware. 

or something to that effect. I would have to put some thought into it and I am sure i could draft up something that would get the job done.