"Pay the Man"... Tip your Devs & Try the Shrimp

Keep up to date with EG related information here.
zian
Site Admin

"Pay the Man"... Tip your Devs & Try the Shrimp

Post by zian » Sat May 13, 2017 12:00 am

The guys (and gals?) that keep this awesome software updated, working & useable should all get raises!!!

Show us your PayPal Donate Buttons or Flatter Links Developers.
Show your faces here. Speak up.
Say hello.

Let's see how deep some pockets are around here.
Let's get ya' paid.

What do you think?
Show us what ya' got.
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: "Pay the Man"... Tip your Devs & Try the Shrimp

Post by kgschlosser » Mon May 15, 2017 5:31 pm

I'm poor. No deep pockets here. My house and home automation consume all of my money..
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Mon May 15, 2017 9:11 pm

That's funny K.
My first X-10 home automation gear I got 2 big boxes. All kinds of stuff. At a yardsale for $10. I was homeless at the time. (priorities man) Living at a Rescue Shelter in Michigan.

Couldn't wait to try it. I borrowed some batteries and had to scramble to find a device I could turn on and off in the day room. I think it was the TV. About 10 years ago it was.

Look at me now....
In my own paid outright in full double wide on 1.9 acres able to turn on & off any fan I wish with the click of a button.

I hope your not poor much longer my friend.
;)

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue May 16, 2017 4:49 am

I'm not poor per say.. i don't have any extra at the moment..

I could offer a lighting controller to someone if they want it. tho i will have to figure out how to reflash the thing again. it's a good starter piece. I seriously have so much stuff kicking around I should hold a yard sale on here. I have enough parts to probably build another 5 computers.

hmmm I just had a thought. maybe we find something that would be a good addition to EG plugin wise and the best and most complete entry gets a prize. I have a Samsung UN55D8000 sitting in it's original box in my basement. and I have no plans for it. I also have a Canon color laser MF8350CDN multi function with ADF and fax network attached 22 pages a minute i think. needs toner cartridges tho. I know these items are used. but there is not a scratch on them and in perfect working condition. Just sitting here collecting dust. I would have to go through what I have. I will be having a Highpoint RocketRaid 4321 SAS/SATA 8 channel controller with 512 MB ram and a dual core intel iop 1.2 ghz processor. controller can handle 128 drives when expanded coming up in the next couple of weeks. 3 TB hdd as well.

maybe what i will do is put together a server for someone i have a 1 u rack chassis with 4 hot swaps I would have to get a riser for the controller. I think i have a mainboard with integrated video have to see what I have for processors and ram. and I would have to locate a cpu cooler that would fit. as well as a 1u power supply. I have a BD burner i could put in it. and I have HDD's. I am sure i could get together at least 8 gigs ram. I would have to build a new back plate for the chassis tho because it had been modified to allow the pipes to run out of it for a water cooled cpu cooler. I also have a 1u rack mount keyboard and mouse and a universal set of rack ears for a 19" monitor.

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Tue May 16, 2017 10:23 pm

Note to self...
Create an EG Swap Meet Area.
Buy sell trade Ask/ISO donate etc.

Your a darn genius Kevin

lol
In the time it took me to write this... I could have CREATED the ACTUAL thing.
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Tue May 16, 2017 10:31 pm

viewforum.php?f=17

It took just a little bit longer.
:)
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed May 17, 2017 3:39 am

yeah. but you aren't setting the permissions properly when making the new threads. You need to copy permissions form the general posts thread. because you can't view the new threads unless you login

Foune
Experienced User

Post by Foune » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:07 pm

Juste gave a "humble tip" to kgschlosser. It would be also nice to be able to support the global project, by giving money to a generic EG account where the money could be reused for EG.

pearbear
Experienced User

Post by pearbear » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Foune wrote: It would be also nice to be able to support the global project, by giving money to a generic EG account where the money could be reused for EG.
Then we'd have to decide what it got used for and we'd probably never be able to reach any sort of consensus. There was some talk about needing to raise donations to get the website moved to a new host and that would be a worthy cause for donations but I think maybe a workaround was found and that's no longer going to be necessary. You're better off to donate to a specific person who is doing work you want to support. Another great way to support EventGhost is to volunteer your time to the project: Improving documentation, plugins, beta testing, reporting bugs, etc. Even just spreading the word about this great software is helpful.

Foune
Experienced User

Post by Foune » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:18 pm

pearbear wrote:volunteer your time to the project: Improving documentation, plugins, beta testing, reporting bugs, etc.

Even just spreading the word about this great software is helpful.
1) I participate the best I can
2) I very often write about eg

I've been promoting eg for the last 10 years, with no success until now. Few people use windows as a H24 home server, when they do they prefer to focus on any solution having a frontend and a database such as jeedom, domoticz, Home Assistant, etc.
Anyway, eg is still my favorite in event management and protocol handling, so I will support it as long as I can.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:39 pm

nope that is not a fix or a solution..

it is a means to buy us some time. but the simple fact is that the cap is 512 files and we are currently at 6000 . so that temporary solution will only lower it about 1500 files. still not within the 512. and then we will be in violation 2 times instead of one. hence the reason why i have not used that to help to buy us some time. because if 1 folder has not set off the alarms yet with them. 2 will for sure. and the "fines" would be even more severe having 2 violations.

still in the process of looking for a VPS. But I am at a crossroads with it. they all have 24 hour support. (hopefully not like godaddy's chat that is never available). they all claim 99.9% up time. some of the variations are things like automated server setup VS manual which means it would take them roughly an hour to get an OS on the box for ya. but the manual ones will usually allow for things like user supplied ISO install where are the automatic ones do not allow for this. The smaller companies seem to have a lower support ticket response time then the larger. smaller company seems to be within 2 hours and the larger is 24-48 hours.

do we go with a smaller company and get more of everything. or do we go with a larger company and get a whole lot less.. I am using the below as the pretty typical pricing for what you get based on company. it is not specific to any single hosting company.

smaller company
4 cores at 2.3 ghz
4 gig ram
40 gig ssd storage
4 TB bandwidth on a gigabit connection

10.00-12.00 a month no special pricing BS

larger company
2 cores at 2.3
2 gig ram
20 gig ssd storage
1 TB bandwidth on a 100 megabit connection

14-20 month for 1st year 18-26 a month after that

I did want to mention that with this kind of a setup as well. we can set up a cloning process for the database and the site to create a test server without the need to pay or supply a secondary hosting package. ans this will also allow us to make the plugin manager in any way we want to. can even use a python back end with sockets to handle that end of it. don't need to use ftp or http if we don't want to. That will make it very nice. and really really simple.

and this is good for updating any help\docs and database entries and the server side of things for that can be written in python as well. which means we can either have the builder run the connection to update the files. or we can have builder write the files to disk and a separate script could get run to populate the help\docs.

this is root access to the VPS. so it would be the same thing as if you had the computer sitting in front of you. If we go with the smaller company the VPS would be powerful enough to run xrdp with unity if we wanted to.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:51 pm

ya know something.

if we decide to go with the smaller company since there is no magical pricing we can pay for a year which would be roughly 168ish and we have about 150 in donations. I don't know the exact number as of yet due to the moneys getting donated when the decision is made and currency conversions and the donation fees. but that should be right about where it lands. we are 18.00 USD short.

but if we go by route of a larger company then we will have to keep on working on saving the dollars to get a longer contract to keep the price lower for a longer period of time.

***edit***

I just checked and we are 4 dollars short if we go with a smaller company

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:11 pm

OK. I have not taken the time to say Thank You to all of the people that have given me/EventGhost donations. These donations are what made it possible to move the website to it's new home for what I hope to be a very long while. We lost some money there with GoDaddy and that sucks. but when dealing with that kind of a company this is what happens. With the new company we are not bound to a contract and we pay one month at a time so this sort of thing will not happen again.

But I wanted to make sure that I said thank you to all of the members in the EG community, for your help with everything. donations are not only money but also knowledge and time.
My gratitude to everyone in the EG community cannot be put into works.

Thank You All
Kevin

piert
Experienced User

Post by piert » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:34 am

Kevin, you are doing awesome work for the Eventghost community, thank you!