The preservation of EventGhost

Keep up to date with EG related information here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

The preservation of EventGhost

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:15 pm

While I do know that EventGhost will survive this virus I do not know if I will. I am going to be assembling a few people over the next couple of days that will be provided all of the account information. usernames, passwords, hosting company names.. etc...

I need some volunteers that would be willing to ensure the future of EventGhost. These people would need to have been active on the forum. and active means helping others out. Python knowledge would be a + but not a requirement, It is something that can be learned. I need people that would be able to afford paying for the hosting nd also willing to put the time in to help the users out.

I want to ensure that EventGhost will be available to the next generation of users if I happen to not be around anymore.

Please post into this topic if you are interested in applying for this task.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

Sem;colon
Plugin Developer

Re: The preservation of EventGhost

Post by Sem;colon » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:01 pm

Hey Kevin,
I don't think I can administrate this site as well as you do, but I'd volunteer to be a backup.
I don't hope anything will happen to you though.. take care, this virus really seems to spread very fast in the US at the moment! :|
If you like my work, Image me a drink :wink:

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:30 am

I hope that nothing happens to any of us. But we do have to hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Taking care of things is a "fly by the seat of your pants" kind of a thing. I research just about everything before I make any changes. I have written scripts that pretty much automate the whole installation process. So if there is a server crash it doesn't take long to recover form it. I have a google drive account set up that backups get dumped to. The script runs automatically to do this once a day. it rotates the backups as needed.

I am going to set up a secondary site to be used as a test site to mes about with things as needed. This will protect the production site from any possible issues. You will be able to tinker about and not have to worry about screwing up the production site.

Ass you can see there are no Ads, So the web hosting gets paid for from donations and any shortfall gets covered by me personally. So keep that in mind. If I am no longer around anyone who is offering their services for this has to be sure they will be willing to cover a shortfall should the need arise. There is normally very little shortfall. Maybe 2 times a year at no more then 20.00 USD It is budgeted very well just from donations. The thing to keep in mind is that you will need to stay active and help people in order to keep the donations flowing. even if it means you have to spend the time to do some research on a persons problem. I do not know everything no one does. But I do not fail to help as many people out as I can. I have found that even if a problem turns out to not be EventGhost or a plugin causing it, spending the time to isolate what is causing it and if it can be coded around easily then that is a possible solution but also informing the user what is causing it and providing them with the information to get it fixed if it can be fixed. It i a nice thing to do and people do show gratitude when the time gets spent.

Telling a user that you have no idea about a problem is something you should do if you really do not have a clue. Walk the issue with them. I have found that most times it is the one thing that fails to get mentioned during the trouble shooting process that usually causes the most complex problems.

Ideally I would like to see 2 more people from other regions of the world volunteer if possible.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:21 am

I can sit on some credentials if need be. I think at the very least it would be nice to get the Github page working again so you can add your improvements.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:05 am

I sent an e-mail to cfull a few days ago. I still have not gotten a response. I am not sure how to go about getting one. topix has not responded when I have sent him messages on slack. I am not sure what the deal is with that. I might have to start up an eventghost github of my own. The biggest problem is going to be the loss of history if I do that. If i fork the repository to save the history I do not think I will be able to have an issue tracker and I will not be able to do releases. I have to double check on those things.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:17 am

It looks like you can create issues on a forked GitHub repo if I understand the problem correctly. https://softwareengineering.stackexchan ... n-the-fork

I haven't looked at how many there are but I could try to sort through them and recreate any current issues

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:39 pm

It isn't just the history of the issues. It is also the entire PR and merge history that will be lost.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:30 am

Maybe we can find a way to recreate those. With whatever updates you have made the list of issues, and pull requests might be a little smaller. Maybe I can set aside a week or so to fill them all back in for the fork and then someone can update or close them as needed

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:13 am

I am going to send an e-mail to GitHub and see if there is anything they can do.

I am the Administrator of this site and I can add my name to the domain Who-is easily enough. The website is posted all over the source code. I would hope that they might do it. I am not asking to have anyone removed from the account. I want to be added as an owner of the thing. It is really pissing me off that the 2 people that have permissions to it have not responded to any of my e-mails and PM's here on the forum.