Database corruption

Keep up to date with EG related information here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Database corruption

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:59 pm

Sorry about the errors that were happening if you were posting to the forum. apparently we had some data corruption in one of the database tables.
I need to work on making something for EG that will monitor for issues like this and send me a text message should they occur. I do not know how long it ws happening for I have not gone back into the log files to check yet. But I did a rebuild of the damaged table and that worked from what I can see. I also performed a scan on the integrity of the rest of the tables. I do plan on some server down time to optimize the database and perform some other maintenance. this server has been running for over a year and I have not performed any sort of "housekeeping" tasks. so it is about time i did some.

We did find the issue that was causing the server drops a few weeks back. Thanks to my ball busting I had to do to the support department of our service provider. I provided them a nice tidy list of assholes that felt the need to do brute force attacks on any open ports for our server to obtain access. well these same dill holes were also doing it to every other VPS on this server as well as causing issues with the hypervisor. They will soon be seeing another nice tidy list of IP addresses again because it has not stopped 100%

If you are from China I do really apologize but I am going to simply block all access from China as these are where the attacks are coming from. You should be able to use a proxy server to come to the site. I know this is is an inconvenience, but I have to make a decision between keeping the server running properly or having to cause some inconvenience to a group of individuals that are doing nothing wrong. This is not an easy thing to do, but if I do not the ramifications could potentially cause this website and support forum not to be here for extended periods of time. I do hope the users that this is going to affect understand my position and are willing to work with me. I think that a small period of time where access cannot be had will cause them to move on to somewhere else. and after hat time has passed I will open the doors again.

The hammering this this server is enduring is quite mad. You have probably experienced slow page loads. This is due to this constant bombardment. Even if I set the ports so they only respond to a specific IP the fact is that everyone that comes knocking causes the server to has to do some kind of work and this is what is slowing things down and also causing a bottleneck on the incoming wire. It spikes CPU use as well as memory consumption. I can have the service provider block all requests coming in from China at the router. This piece or hardware is optimized to do this sort of thing plus the connection at the router is going to be able to handle a whole lot more then what the connection at the VPS can. It is better suited to deal with this kind of thing. Having to keep on blocking single addresses is loony tunes and that is what we have been doing to stay ahead of this issue. I have been trying to see if there is some kind of a pattern to the addresses where the attacks are coming from. I will continue to do that for a bit longer and if i am unable to locate a pattern i will post again to inform you of what is going to happen before anything gets done.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Database corruption

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:00 pm

As far as the maintenance goes. I am going to read the site analytical data to see what the slowest period of time is and I will go form there.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image