Where do I say thank you?

Keep up to date with EG related information here.
shayl

Where do I say thank you?

Post by shayl » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:31 am

I never really bother to give much feedback or any kind of active participance for a software but EventGhost is fking awesome mostly for being free and second for being so damn cool and flexible. just wanted to say its freakin awesome. god bless the creators and this community for being uber cool and supportive for creators while staying free and accessible
Last edited by kgschlosser on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Where do I say thank you?

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:47 am

I'll tell you what man, What you said means the world to me. and I am sure it does to everyone else who will/did/does work on the project. Seeing comments like what you made makes the tough and trying times fade away. EventGhost has endured when others have gone. That is because the people that work on the project believe the that people using it are the ones that matter. and not a dollar. That mindset is what has kept EG going and will so long as the current people are still working on the project.

EventGhost's simplicity is what makes it appear complicated. If that makes any sense. And it's abilities are unmatched by any other HA solution I have come across. Automation should not be for only the wealthy. EG is what makes it possible for each and every person. One of the members on this forum summed it up in a single statement "EventGhost is possibly the only Home Automation software that you can open your garage door with an XBox controller.",

I Thank You for the comments, Thank You for giving me a boost in motivation, Thank You for taking the time to post what you think of EventGhost.

***Note I am going to move this topic into the announcements section and sticky it.
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:43 pm

I wanted to post this so everyone would get a better understand of what is involved in maintaining EG. It is also going to put into perspective why it takes so long to fix something that has a bug. or make a change.

approximates

100000 lines - EventGhost core
102495 lines - plugins that get shipped with EG.
667645 lines - about 40% of the plugins i wrote.
These counts are only for python code. and do not include any other languages.

in the EG core there is around 358698 words, the bible has about 783137 words. Imagine having to read half of the bible in order to locate a typo in it or find something that is not grammatically correct. HOLY SHIT!!! (pun intended)

when a bug needs to be found It takes time to locate it. that is why it is of utmost importance to be patient, and to supply as much information as you can about the bug. it makes the process a whole lot faster. We do our best to test a solution to the problem. We are not able to replicate every single possible scenario/setup. So quite often a fix can cause another issue. his is really where the patience steps in. I know it is frustrating for you. Step outside yourself for a second when this happens. put yourself where we are. and imagine how we are feeling. Have you ever seen a computer repair kit before???? ever seen one with a hammer in it??? I will bet you can guess why there is a hammer in a PC repair toolkit....LMAO.
On more then one occasion I have had to restrain myself from grabbing said hammer.

I do hope this puts managing the EG code base into a better perspective for everyone. and remember patience helps a lot, money helps a wee bit better.. 8) Showing gratitude here in the forum through a post I think is the biggest thing. :D

So comments like the one above make a huge impact on overall moral.

Medy

Post by Medy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:31 pm

Take my thx as well :D ..

Working on a chrome plugin while learning basic javascript atm.
Which you will be able to track ongoing tv series with & get notified.

As a bonus it will have a option to forward events to evenghost.

Will try to add to this community with small things like this ;D.

I have been using eventghost for years...

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:39 am

Any contribution is not small thing.. Anything that can expand EG's abilities is never turned away. So keep on learning.

I know enough JavaScript to get myself into trouble so if you get stuck I may be able to help.