What this means for our Development

Keep up to date with EG related information here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

What this means for our Development

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:37 pm

I am not sure who has seen this or not. Microsoft is buying GitHub I do not know what the state of GitHub will be when this takes place. Microsoft has been known to really muck things up with these kinds of acquisitions. We will be keeping our eye out for a new place to store the source as well continue the development of EG. Only time will tell what we will need to do. I have a really very sneaky suspicion that many will jump ship from using GitHub and a new version control system will become the favorite among developers. The biggest problem with a big corporation owning something like GitHub is they are not going to listen to what the people want. they are simply going to do with the attitude of "too bad". I could be wrong and this could change, but I highly doubt it. There have been many long standing issues (decades) with Windows that seem to move from one version to the next without ever being fixed. The only time they seem to fix something is if it affects the corporate use of the product. Otherwise their response is "go pound sand".

So keep your eyes open and if you see another version control platform that may be worth looking into drop us a line here.

Thanks Again
Kevin
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

jachin99
Experienced User

Re: What this means for our Development

Post by jachin99 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:07 am

I have been reading about that quite a bit. MS gave up a huge chunk of change, and paid WAY more than what GitHub was worth to buy it. I know MS has turned their backs to quite a few good products (I still use WMC) but if they were to screw up GitHub, they are throwing away A LOT of money. I'm sure there are more than a few developers running as far as they can get from GitHub but on a positive note, the founder of the site chose Microsoft based on their CEO's vision of what he wants to do with the company. MS has had big problems in the past with the whole company moving in the same direction but lets hope MS does this right. There are also quite a few people that see positive changes in MS. Behind linked in, GitHub is its biggest acquisition.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:16 am

you have to remember. there are no dollars being passed along with this transaction. it is 100% stocks. So if those stocks have been kicking about since the beginning. then Microsoft paid 0 dollars for it technically. LOL

NASDAQ Stocks for MSFT
Total Number of Holders 2,874
Total Shares Held 5,665,237,965
Total Value of Holdings 575,984,743,902

and that is only with 75% of the stocks being help. so the total stock value for Microsoft is roughly 800 billion dollars. so 7.6 billion in stocks is chump change. at a price of 102 beans per share that 73,529,411 shares of the approximate 7 billion shares that can be traded. 7.5 billion doesn't even put a dent in Microsoft's wallet.

when Microsoft's stock opened in 1986 if you bought 100 shares those shares would have grown to a whopping 22000 shares. being split 9 times since inception. they do this to lessen the value of each share. to make it more attainable for the "common folk" if you bought 100 shares for the 2100.00 dollars then they would be worth around 3/4 of a mill today and when the stock peaked in 1999 it would have been worth 1.4 million
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

topix
Experienced User

Post by topix » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:32 pm

I read this also with some concerns. If we must/should/want to leave GitHub, then i would go for GitLab.com: https://gitlab.com/EventGhost/EventGhost