HDMI-CEC to USB EG Support for Pulse Eight

Do you have questions about writing plugins or scripts in Python? Meet the coders here.
zian
Site Admin

HDMI-CEC to USB EG Support for Pulse Eight

Post by zian » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:34 pm

http://forums.pulse-eight.com/default.a ... osts&t=209
EventGhost support for their adaptor?

Not yet.
They say it's in the works.
They also say their "wrapper" is open to developers (last post @ link)
(whatever that means)

Anybody interested?
I am.

What do "we" need to do to make this happen?
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

Malard

Re: New HDMI-CEC plugin

Post by Malard » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:07 pm

Hey Guys,

Zian pointed me to this topic, we (Pulse-Eight) produce both libCEC and our own CEC Adapter, the reason we did this was 2 fold, firstly we had seen the rainshadow hardware for some time and felt the price being charged was incredibly high for what it was and what it was doing and secondly because we wanted to get XBMC (as we are ourselves XBMC developers) to have access to the CEC bus.

libCEC is a dual licensed GPL / Commercial library intended to provide a common API from software producers (such as Event Ghost or XBMC) to be able to interact with the TV and other A/V devices supporting CEC.

I think what hotbuhdda has been doing is great (to provide an interface to the rainshadow box) and we really don't want to tread on anyone's toes, however we are happy to provide hardware samples to EventGhost developers who would be able to integrate libCEC into EventGhost. It would be nice for windows users to be able to transition between XBMC and the desktop while using the same remote control and this will be possible shortly once we release a tcp stack/daemon for libCEC

If anyone is interested let us know at contact@pulse-eight.com

zian
Site Admin

Re: New HDMI-CEC plugin

Post by zian » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:45 pm

Malard wrote: If anyone is interested let us know at contact@pulse-eight.com
Sounds GREAT Malard,
I sure hope that one of us, that is willing and able to create the SW-plugin for this hardware, does it up nice.
... and soon too.

Thanks much for joining and contacting us Malard.
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

bodiroga

Re: HDMI-CEC to USB EG Support for Pulse Eight

Post by bodiroga » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:26 pm

Non of our fantastic developers wants to help pulse-eight guys developing the plugin? :wink:

sectune

Post by sectune » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:20 am

Hello,
I signed up here solely for the purpose to ask if some of the great plugin developers here in the forums would be willing to code a plugin for the pulseeight cec adapter. It is an awesome product and eventghost would enhance it even more. Because awesome + awesome = legendary :D

I really hope that someone would sacrifice his free time to create a plugin for that neat box. I would gladly donate the few bucks I have for the hard work!

I really hope there are some smart minds here willing to get in touch with the hdmi-cec adapter.

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:44 pm

I don't know why the Pulse-Eight devs have not created a plugin for EG? I'd think it would be an easy way for them to gain some sales.

I'm buying one of these devices just to play with it. I don't have any knowledge of what it would take to get it working with EG.
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system

miljbee
Experienced User

Post by miljbee » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:09 pm

In fact, any manufacturer of any device should provide an eventghost plugin ...
miljbee
TCP Events : A Better Network Event Sender/Receiver Plugin.
The Network Event Sender/Receiver in C#
Get events in EG from Google Calendar.

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:35 pm

miljbee wrote:In fact, any manufacturer of any device should provide an eventghost plugin ...
of course! ;-)
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system

barnabas1969
Experienced User

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:19 pm

To catch you up: I've been told that the latest version of the tray application from Pulse-Eight supports Windows Media Center. If it works well, then I'll be happy. If not, then I'll try to figure out how to integrate their DLL into EG. For now...

I got my new HTPC up and running today, with Media Center working to watch/record all the cable channels to which I'm subscribed, using the Silicondust HD HomeRun PRIME tuners that I already owned.

So... I installed the software/drivers from Pulse-Eight (the version recommended by one of their developers via e-mail), and it doesn't work. Windows 7 Professional x64 doesn't recognize the device. I've tried searching their forums, and none of the answers I've found do anything for me.

I e-mailed the devs at pulse-eight today and I am waiting for their reply.

I sure hope the Pulse-Eight device and software will work better than the RCAware device. The non-response from RCAware has driven me to spend more money elsewhere, after using the RCAware device for more than a year. I cannot at this time recommend either device, but I'll post back here when/if I get this thing working.

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:42 pm

Pulse Eight site seems to be down. I have not gone there in a long time so not sure how long it has been down. Though I suspect they are not doing much of anything other than selling devices they will no longer support.

barnabas1969
Experienced User

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:52 pm

The site has been down for less than an hour. I was there browsing around before it went down. Maybe it's my fault?

Anyway, one of their devs has been extremely helpful. His name is Lars. They have recent updates to their software and drivers. Unfortunately, the installer that Lars told me to use does not work on Win7 x64.

I'm waiting for his reply. I just e-mailed him less than 3 hours ago.

At least Pulse-Eight replies to my e-mails. That's a lot more than I can say about RCAware. I did get a reply from RainshadowTech... to tell me that they did give RCAWare a newer firmware a long time ago, but that RCAware never responded in regard to the testing of the new firmware.

If "hotbuddha" would actually answer me, then maybe I wouldn't be looking to spend my money with Pulse-Eight. But I'm very tired of the problems with the RCAware device, and I'm hoping the Pulse-Eight device works better.

If their tray application, which was updated just a month ago (or so), doesn't do what I want, then I'll seriously consider writing an EG plugin for the device... but I need a WORKING device driver first.

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:07 pm

the last version I found of libcec is 2.1.3 ... what do you have?

I had started to look at using the command line client (cec-client) they provide, thinking an EG plugin could be written leveraging that. I got distracted with a few other things and never got far with it. Have you looked at the cec-client?

barnabas1969
Experienced User

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:32 pm

I don't think the command line program can be used for EG. You need a way to continuously monitor the CEC bus for events, and the command line program doesn't give you that ability.

The methods and properties of the DLL give you the ability to wait for something to happen on the CEC bus. So, the most effective way to use their device and drivers is to use their DLL in EG. This is entirely possible.

However, before I spend the time doing that, I want to see what their "tray application" can do for me. If it does what I need, then I won't spend my time writing an EG plugin.

Writing an EG plugin would be VERY time consuming for me. I don't know Python, but I do understand the basic structure of EG, and how it works. I could figure out how to make an EG plugin that interacts with the DLL supplied by Pulse-Eight if needed. But it won't work unless I have a WORKING device driver!

Based on a survey that I read about a year ago, about 85% of Windows Media Center users run x64 versions of Windows. If the Pulse-Eight device doesn't have a working x64 device driver, then it is useless to me. I need to run Win7 x64 because my HTPC uses about 6.3GB of RAM while all of my TV's (connected to Media Center extenders) are running at the same time.

So... the first step is getting the device driver to work in Win 7 x64. Then, the next step is to see what features the "tray application" gives me. If it works for my needs, I'm done. If not, I'll be learning how to write a plugin for EG.

I love, love, love EG. It's the best thing since sliced bread.

barnabas1969
Experienced User

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:40 pm

I'll take my last sentence a step further. If every device that can connect to a Windows computer had a plugin for EG, we probably wouldn't need any other software to control those devices. Based on my experience, EG can do anything. All it takes is imagination. It's the "Swiss army knife" of software.

barnabas1969
Experienced User

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:49 am

I found a v4 firmware update on the pulse-eight packages site that somehow, miraculously, installs the x64 driver for the device (and appears to successfully update the firmware, whether or not I already had the latest). Now, the Device Manager shows the device as working.

However, the tray application ends immediately when I start it with a message that says "CECTray has stopped working". Their forum is replete with similar threads, and no resolution.

I've added all this information to the ticket(s) that were opened when I e-mailed their support mailbox. I realize that I'm being impatient, but I expected this damn thing to just work as advertised. It shouldn't be so difficult to install a Windows application (and the associated driver should be automatically installed too).

Well, I'm going to give up for the night. Hopefully I'll hear something from Pulse-Eight tomorrow. If I don't get a resolution soon, I'll be contacting PayPal to dispute the payment due to a product that doesn't work as advertised.