Help needed: IR through microphone jack -> EventGhost

Do you have questions about writing plugins or scripts in Python? Meet the coders here.
Krog

Help needed: IR through microphone jack -> EventGhost

Post by Krog » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi all.

I am currently working on a large-scale project where a Media Center server gets controlled by some Bang & Olufsen products - mainly a Beo4 remote control (working in the 455 Khz range). Today, I am using some rather expensive equipment to convert the 455 Khz remote signals into more simple Windows MCE-remote signals that can be picked up by the computer. This method demands for the both the expensive converter and a HID MCE remote receiver - and these could both be left out if the method below could work!

I did some thinking today and came up with the idea to connect the IR signal passed on by the B&O ir receiver eye directly to the microphone input jack on my Media Center server. In an audio recorder, the pulses/signals came up with no problems at all, so with the right software, they should be easy to pick up.

I have programmed EventGhost to throw all the right keyboard commands at the Media Center application - and everything works in a simulation scenario.

SO NOW, the only thing I need is to have some kind of monitoring software to listen on the microphone port, match the signal to e.g. a WAV file or similar - and throw an event at EG when a match is found. I tried to use some different speech recognition software, but they all seem to be listening for speech - and I can not configure them to match specific pulse strings.

Software like this might already be available, so if someone could give me a helping hand, I would be so grateful.

PLEASE HELP - if this could be solved, my project would look SO much more simple...

Michael

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Re: Help needed: IR through microphone jack -> EventGhost

Post by krambriw » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:02 pm

I think this site
http://wiki.nethome.nu/doku.php/start
and especially the ProtocolAnalyzer section here
http://wiki.nethome.nu/doku.php/analyzer/start
could be of interest to you

But most interesting would be to get in touch directly with the person behind, he has for sure the right skill and knowledge to do exactly what you are asking for. He has already software that decodes what is coming in on the mic input for many protocols but it might be that you need a new sw decoder written to match your signals

Once you have the decoder working, there is a NetHomeServer plugin available at this site for download. This will basically create a link between your remote and EventGhost

If it will be enough to be grateful to him is unclear, maybe you have to pay him a decent hourly rate but if you have, as you say, a large project, it shouldn't be a problem, right?

Best regards, Walter

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:11 pm

Huh, interesting concept. Along the lines of what Walter posted, EG already has IR Decoder classes for RC6 and many other IR modulations. Rather than having someone else's software demodulate AND decode, if you can translate the audio into on/off pulses (demodulate), you should be able to pass the sequence into EG's decoder - which will automatically generate the signals. That doesn't help with the demodulation, though.

Brett

Krog

Post by Krog » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:39 pm

Walter - thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The "large scale" is maybe a bit on the ambitious side - it's just something that has occupied my mind for quite some time and involved a few people in the process... :-)

I have tried to walk the NetHomeServer path - but I'm about to call it quits. I can get the RFReceiver to increase "received", just as the event broker seems to transmit data. But EG does NOT (I feel like I have tried everything) receive any inputs.

Would be grateful if you can help - also with a contact to the author of NetHomeServer. Looks like I need some help from him also...

Yours

Michael
RFReceiver.jpg
eventbroker.jpg
EG.jpg

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Post by krambriw » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:02 am

Hi,
I think you are close. It seems that it does decode signals (since the counter on received is counting up).

Install the analyser sw and take a screen shot of the first page so that I can see what type of events it eventually decodes when you are pressing buttons on your remote.

Check in the settings that all protocols (maybe except raw) are selected and enabled

Best regards, Walter

Krog

Post by Krog » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:08 pm

Here U go. Thank you for spending the time on this.

It does not matter which protocols I (de)activate - and the remote I'm using (Beo4) is not recognized, but it is still picked up as both raw and Pronto signals.

Could you help me get in touch with the person behind NetHomeServer?
Yours

Michael
Analyzer.jpg

krambriw
Plugin Developer

Post by krambriw » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:29 pm

His name is Stefan and his mail address is written here

http://wiki.nethome.nu/doku.php/nethome ... rrentstate

"I can be reached via mail at homeserver at net home dot nu (hopefully you can figure it out but the bots not)
/Stefan"

Best regards, Walter

PS By default, NetHomeServer does not send Pronto codes and some others like RC5/RC6 out via its port. If you would like to try, you need to edit the file demo.xml and add the protocols you need besides the ones that are there as default (like Nexa etc)

Typically it could look like this if you would add support for Pronto

Code: Select all

<HomeItem Class="AudioProtocolParser" >
		<Attribute Name="ID">13</Attribute>
		<Attribute Name="Name">RFReceiver</Attribute>
		<Attribute Name="Protocols">UPM,Nexa,NexaL,Pronto</Attribute>
Once you added the Pronto protocol and restarted NetHomeServer, it looks like pronto events should start to drop in to EvenGhost when you press buttons on your remote. Hopefullty you get unique codes for each button and then you can assign those events to your macros

dukey

Post by dukey » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:18 pm

You can do this with WinLIRC :)

http://winlirc.sourceforge.net/audioreciever.html

That's the receiver I built and use on my media centre pc.

Krog

Post by Krog » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:34 pm

Dukey: You are the f.... MAN! This did EXACTLY what I wanted - and it was as simple as I had hoped for in the end. Thank you SO much!

Walter: Thank you so much for your help. Dukey's solutions, though, was so spot on that I'm jumping up'n'down. :-)

Yours

Michael