Anyone planning to continue core development?

Do you have questions about writing plugins or scripts in Python? Meet the coders here.
Livin
Experienced User

Anyone planning to continue core development?

Post by Livin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:09 pm

I was wondering if anyone is planning to continue developing the core of EG?

It seems very stable to me but there are always improvements in usability that would be made.

Also, possibly a drive to recruit coders from the Media Portal and XBMC camps might help. Maybe some better integration into those apps would help do this.

Thoughts?
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system

stottle
Plugin Developer

Re: Anyone planning to continue core development?

Post by stottle » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:03 am

Livin wrote:I was wondering if anyone is planning to continue developing the core of EG?
Yes, at least for my forked version.

Brett

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:42 am

Brett!

Been a while... I did not know you were still working on it. Can you give an update?
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:56 am

Almost done with the rewrite of the core/core plugins. It's using PyQt instead of wxWidgets and not using stackless python, so there was a lot of rework required. It will require rework of plugins, including UI changes, but it will provide a bunch of benefits as well. Translations will be different, too. On the plus side, Qt has an easily downloadable UI for generating translations. But I'm not multi-lingual, so I haven't done much with that.

It will be a LOT easier to set up, but I'll need some testers and really will need help with people to update and take ownership of plugins. Even though it will be extra work, I'm hoping it will re-energize the community.

I can provide more detail soon, but I'm not up for doing a write-up this second.

Brett

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:04 am

I'm happy to help test over the next week... I'll finally be in town for almost 2 weeks in a row.

Hopefully you have a way to import the existing config?

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:04 pm

Livin wrote:Hopefully you have a way to import the existing config?
When you see how it works, you'll see why it isn't backwards compatible. I know some people aren't going to like that, but sometimes progress requires changes.

I'm sure a tool to convert configs is possible, but I haven't looked at that yet. To be honest, I don't think that would be a priority until most of the plugins are ported over.

Brett

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:16 pm

I with you... I'd happily redo all my macros for a more efficient and flexible solution. There are more complex things I want to do but since EG's method is tedious for more complex decision trees I have avoided it.

matejdro

Post by matejdro » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:01 pm

i can help testing too

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:36 pm

Check out my website - the downloads page has the current (alpha) release. The plugins I've ported can be downloaded from the plugins page - hopefully I've got some of the ones you care about, otherwise my fork doesn't do much yet.

I need to post documentation on getting started, but haven't yet.

Hope you like, and I can look at porting more plugins if you have a few you are most interested in.

Brett

giantpopples

Post by giantpopples » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:21 pm

Thank you very much for giving us the link ! It's great to see a developper caring about the future of eventghost 8)

I read that your fork is much different than the original and thus that the macro will have to be rewritten, i'll have a look at your work as soon as i can, i use some of the available plugin currently (mce ir, xbmc).

As a documentation, maybe you can write about how to port some of eventghost plugins to satori, since a lot of plugins are still developped :wink:

Thanks again !

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:42 pm

Hi Brett,
You might want to take a survey of what plugins are most used and the communities priority for each.

Any thought around importing the legacy config file so that transitions can happen without breaking functionality, and while migrating to the way your branch handles things?

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:31 am

giantpopples wrote:I read that your fork is much different than the original and thus that the macro will have to be rewritten, i'll have a look at your work as soon as i can, i use some of the available plugin currently (mce ir, xbmc).

As a documentation, maybe you can write about how to port some of eventghost plugins to satori, since a lot of plugins are still developped :wink:
Hot off the presses: http://www.satori-project.com/content/p ... -satorihub

Hope you like the fork. And even if you don't, feedback is appreciated.
Livin wrote:You might want to take a survey of what plugins are most used and the communities priority for each.

Any thought around importing the legacy config file so that transitions can happen without breaking functionality, and while migrating to the way your branch handles things?
So far, the only requests have been for the Hauppauge IR plugin (finished) and the MCE plugin (in progress), so I don't know that I'd get much response on a survey - especially given the alpha status. I'll keep these ideas in mind, though.

Thanks,
Brett

Kommakul

Post by Kommakul » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:37 pm

I for one would like to see a port of the DVBviewer plugin, as it's the main reason I'm running EG.

I hope that you will pick it up.

Regards
Christian

stottle
Plugin Developer

Post by stottle » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:09 am

I've got a new version of the program (0.2.7 alpha) available for download. Also have an initial port of the DVBViewer plugin (can't test, so please let me know how it works) and a new Windows Media Center plugin available from the plugins page.

DVBViewer - this is pretty much a straight port. There's a couple of SatoriHub items I'd like to put in, such as automatic context switching and renaming some of the action to work with the remote buttons naming convention - but I thought it would be easier to check out a straight port before I did anything SatoriHub specific.

The Windows Media Center Actions plugin - which actually loads a Media Center plugin to connect to the SatoriHub plugin - allows some of the actions (not all) to work while MC is in the background and hopefully helps in forwarding to other plugins (like hulu/netflix).

I'm hoping to be able to spend some more time on documentation this weekend, but if people are trying the program, I'd really appreciate any feedback you have - what's working, what's not.

I know there is a lot that could be added (especially on the plugins front). But there needs to be more than just one developer, and do think its likely to get many people on board until it is reasonably stable. Which takes you alpha testers letting me know if you have any issues.

My focus right now is on 1) stability, 2) the context switching for specific plugins (like mouse) 3) documentation/website, 4) a few more plugins (looking at multitap and directorywatcher, and finishing DVBViewer if I get some feedback).

Thanks!
Brett

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:44 am

Brett,
I'll pop this version in this weekend since I use WMC for all my live and recorded tv now.

Have you tried to recruit other devs to help out? Maybe someone over at XBMC would be interested as there are many python coders there, and many people there use EG. If you post there and explain the direction maybe you can generate a few to help out.