You might be surprised...

Do you have questions about writing plugins or scripts in Python? Meet the coders here.
unclesam

Re: You might be surprised...

Post by unclesam » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:07 am

i can offer around 1 gig? but i think a forum like this only need 100 mb. traffic isn't limited!

abraxxa
Experienced User

Post by abraxxa » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:29 am

I'd prefer a free forum hosted by some company so we don't depend on a single individual who also has all the work.
Github only offers a wiki, html pages and an issues tracker but no forum.

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:56 pm

abraxxa wrote:I'd prefer a free forum hosted by some company so we don't depend on a single individual who also has all the work.
Github only offers a wiki, html pages and an issues tracker but no forum.
I agree with you in part abraxxa.
Free is good. But sometimes you get what you pay for.
Do you know of a free, realiable and trustworthy place that will host a phpbb forum like we have here.

My old phpbb forum that I mentioned before... I built it over 3 years ago just to see if I could is hosted by a free service. I have only been there maybe four times since I created it so I'm not sure how reliable it is or traffic limits etc. It has been a while.
But I'll go back and visit again and look for some details and options.

I agree with 100% about us/it not depending on one person to control/administer/run a forum. That is not good in my view.
I'd suggest (WE make a plan) and have at least 2, 3, 4 people as administers for a/the forum. All able to help make changes or do what needs to be done to get it up and running and to keep it running.

As I said above...
(I hope you don't mind Bit Monster) eventghost.net is ours. I registered it yesterday for one year ( about $9 for a year ).
It is NOT "mine". I don't want it for my self. I don't want to EVER control it myself. I DO WANT a forum for eventghost for years to come. I think it will cost some more money when it comes time to transfer/point eventghost.net to the right spot and to re-register again in a year or so.

I also think something like the PayPal "Donate" link/button would be a good way to help take care of those (and any other costs) when the time comes. Again... I DO NOT want to be in sole control of any money that folks might donate.
I'm not exactly sure how that would work.

The offers of free net space sound good... but...
I don't like the idea of a space that can go down when a bolt of lightning hits near somebodies house. Wouldn't want "our" server to be in some guys closet, garage or SOHO. That doesn't sound good at all.

Any more volunteers to administer a new eventghost forum?
(do you know what your doing?)
(will you teach me? lol)
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:23 pm

I think a paid for hosting provider for the forum is our best bet. A free service is not going to be reliable enough. They tend to disappear. (I'm not talking about the svn, that's a different story).

We just need to give multiple users access to administrative privileges.

A single google adsense banner at the top of the forum should more than pay for the hosting. Every time a $100 is generated google will issue a check. Someone will have to be in charge of receiving the check, paying the hosting and domain name fees and then putting the rest aside in case the project needs it. We will just have to trust someone, and maybe it can be handled by more than one person. I don't think it will be a huge amount of surplus money anyway, but I imagine the adds could easily generate 2-4 hundred dollars a year.

abraxxa
Experienced User

Post by abraxxa » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:33 pm

I do have a server here at work where I already host some small phpbb forums but I don't think if it wise to put the eventghost forum there too because of much higher traffic.

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:58 pm

I agree with both of you.

I don't know much about Google's ad- but I have heard good things. You think a forum this size will bring in that much Jitter James? Sounds like that should cover it.

Just a quick search of paid forum hosting looked to be any where from $40 - $70 a year depending on features.

I like the idea of professional hosting too if that means it's more reliable and "better maintained" or backed up just in case.

So...
In the meantime will we need some initial money for our first year or so of hosting?
I don't have much... bust can give some.
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:38 pm

I'm pretty sure it will bring in at least $100 / year. I don't know what kind of traffic the site is currently getting, and of course when we first move to a new domain it will go down. I'm not sure, are we going to be able to transfer memberships with passwords etc. to the new forum or are we going to all need to sign up again?

If it all transfers and BitMonster forwards the .com to the .net domain then everything should go pretty smoothly.

I would also suggest, that if there is a lot of surplus money from advertising, and we don't need it for some other purpose then we could put it back into advertising EventGhost through google adwords, which could go a long way towards keeping the project alive. I'm sure someone in the community could come up with some slick ad banners. 8)

I don't like to do design, but I can do 3D renders or animation if someone has a design concept that requires 3D.

www.jitterjames.com

I am also willing to handle the ad stuff if no one else wants to do it.

topix
Experienced User

Post by topix » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:44 pm

I also want to help as much as i can, but i'm no administrator, just a user.

For the new Forum we are looking for Webpsace? Might be this is something we could use? If so, i would pay it for a year (maybe two).

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:51 pm

I'm not familiar with that host but it seems a bit pricey. What about godaddy?

http://www.godaddy.com/Hosting/web-host ... px?ci=8971

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:18 pm

Wow Topix,
That is a great offer.
Would you be willing to spring for a year at a host other then the Giga-International you posted a link to?

I like JitterJames' GoDaddy idea myself.
I'm sure they are not the best (highest rated) but I'm pretty confident they will still be around for years to come.

Also something to consider is to make any/all accounts (like the Domain.com account I created yesterday to snatch up eventghost.net) is that it is EASILY transferable between parties. Not exactly sure how we would go about doing it but when it all gets up and running I'll personaly hand over control/account info for the registration to who ever needs it when the time comes.

I help start it all... who is to say I'll be around in a year or two?
I want to be able to pass it on to another. And if they may not be around... they pass it on also.

Topix gets us a year of hosting (SWEET)... In a year or so we will have to be able to renew that account (even if Topix may not be around also)
Know what I mean?

I'm sure these are just lil' issues and they have been figured out many times before at many diffrent sites/communities all over the internet.

Just more of my two cents.

and...
I meant to post this a few hours ago...but....
I started a new topic that I hope can be more visible and all about what we need to do to switch eventghost.org over.

Find it here...
Board index » English Discussions » General Support >>
IMPORTANT!!! EventGhost is moving - EventGhost Forum Ver.2
http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtop ... f=2&t=3038
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:51 pm

More FYI on SourceForge...

From...
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/source ... /WikiStart
Hosting with SourceForge.net ¶

* Register a project for hosting, Get started with your new project , Project control
* Downloads and metrics: Release files for download, Project statistics, Web analytics
* Hosted Apps, the most popular of which are: phpBB, MediaWiki, Piwik, Trac and dotProject
* Web services: Project web, Project database, Developer web, MediaWiki wiki
* SCM (source code management) services: Subversion, Git, Mercurial, Bazaar, CVS
* Shell services: File management service, Shell service, Cron service
* Communications: Mailing lists, phpBB forums, News
* Get support from SourceForge.net staff (via email, IRC, or ticket)
* Backup your data
* Comprehensive service directory
and...
for what it's worth EventGhost is already/still at SourceForge as we speak.
It has not been updated/active there recently.

EventGhost Updated 2008-10-24...
http://sourceforge.net/search/?q=eventghost

topix
Experienced User

Post by topix » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:44 pm

zian wrote:Wow Topix,
That is a great offer.
Would you be willing to spring for a year at a host other then the Giga-International you posted a link to?
Yes, i would.
zian wrote:More FYI on SourceForge...
Hmm, a Forum for free? Are there restrictions (Attachments, Webspace)?

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:12 pm

pasted from here....
http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtop ... f=2&t=3038

zian wrote:Here is a very rough draft of a proposed EventGhost Forum I made today.

http://egforums.x10.mx/forums/
(pretend like you clicked on eventghost.net)
(and DON'T sign up)
(this is ONLY a test)

I did this mostly just to show Bitmonster that we are working on getting our stuff together so as he said he would hand it all over AFTER we find a suitable place.
I know the work I did today ain't suitable yet... but it's a start I hope.
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

abraxxa
Experienced User

Post by abraxxa » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:54 pm

If sourceforge offers both git and phpbb we should use that.

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:19 pm

I think we are pretty much ready with the new site. If anyone sees any errors please let us know.

www.eventghost.net

It's pretty much up to BitMonster now I guess, in terms of the forum data dump. The ideal for me would be to get administrative access to the existing .org forum so that I can do a test dump. If that goes smoothly, then we can plan a date to do the official switch-over.

We also need to either get a wiki dump from the current moinmoin, or if that's not possible maybe we start a new one?

I also added the latest installable version of EG from Stottle's site to the download page.

There are too many threads on this forum now discussing this topic :!: . I am not planning on posting to any others. Feel free to repost this information to them.