You might be surprised...

Do you have questions about writing plugins or scripts in Python? Meet the coders here.
stottle
Plugin Developer

Re: You might be surprised...

Post by stottle » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:08 pm

paseant wrote:I also think this topic should be more visible in the forum.
I agree that a title of "You might be surprised...", in the Coding Corner forum, can be easy to miss. What do you suggest, though?

I posted another topic in the Generic Support forum (SVN Builds), thinking that it would get more attention. I can sticky this thread or the one I created. But as I said in the other thread, without Bitmonster's help, the only changes we can really make are on the forums/wiki. I thought that offering new builds on my site, with Pako offering to incorporate other plugins or patches, would generate more response. At least until Bitmonster let's us know if he plans to keep the EG domain going and/or provide us a way to move to another location that others can maintain.

Brett

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:37 pm

stottle wrote:
paseant wrote:I also think this topic should be more visible in the forum.
I agree that a title of "You might be surprised...", in the Coding Corner forum, can be easy to miss. What do you suggest, though?

I posted another topic in the Generic Support forum (SVN Builds), thinking that it would get more attention. I can sticky this thread or the one I created. But as I said in the other thread, without Bitmonster's help, the only changes we can really make are on the forums/wiki. I thought that offering new builds on my site, with Pako offering to incorporate other plugins or patches, would generate more response. At least until Bitmonster let's us know if he plans to keep the EG domain going and/or provide us a way to move to another location that others can maintain.

Brett
That is great news. I would have responded sooner, had you posted to this thread. I have not scanned new threads in quite some time...

I wrote a longer response on the other thread, but in short, I'm very happy to see eventGhost continue with the current core, and to see new plugins added to the installer. Thanks Stottle and Pako for making this happen!

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:39 pm

I just want to draw attention to another thread that you may have missed which is sort of related to this topic.

Pako is taking votes on which new or updated plugins should be included as standard in new builds here:

http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtop ... 73&start=0

Bitmonster
Site Admin

Post by Bitmonster » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:18 pm

The board gets flooded by SPAM-bots currently, so I had to disable the registration. No new users will currently be able to join the forums.

So your first task should be to find some new forum hosting. When I see there is a running instance of a suitable replacement of the forum, I can deliver a database dump of the current board.

I will not transfer the domain names to anyone (at least not the next pair of years). But if you get a suitable replacement for the site up and running, we can talk about modifying the DNS-entries to point to the new site.

SVN can be transfered by everyone with basic tools (svnsync) to a new server, including the full history. So this should not be a problem if you do your homework.

Bartman was always an admin on SourceForge for the project, but it looks like he also quit the project (last login in september). I now have promoted Pako as an additional admin at SF, so he should be able to carry out all needed tasks, like adding new members.

Since the current forum is of not much use without new users and since it seems nothing will happen if there is no deadline, here is the timeline:

Write access to the board will be disabled on 1. March 2011.
The SVN access will be closed on 1. April 2011
The complete website will be shut down on 1. May 2011.
Please post software-related questions in the forum - PMs will only be answered, if really private, thanks!

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:59 pm

Thanks Bitmonster. It's good to know you are still alive!

Livin
Experienced User

Post by Livin » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:08 pm

Bit,
Thanks for working on this with us. You do have some very dedicated community members - which is a positive comment on what you created. And the fact that Brett is taking what you built and substantially adding features also says a lot about the great idea you put into motion.
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:34 pm

does anyone want to take responsibility for setting up the new forum?

Derelict, does your previous hosting offer still stand?

unclesam

Post by unclesam » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:21 pm

i could offer enough space and traffic for this project, but i have a problem with the responsibility.
so if some can offer me a model with no responsibility for me, i would offer space/traffic for this great project.

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:23 pm

Yes.
Thanks VERY MUCH Bit Monster.

Sourceforge sounds like a great place to put the SVN.
The forum end seems easy enough also.
I have created a phpBB forum in the past (it's still up and alive by the way although the only visitor to it EVER was me LOL)
I'll look into some hosting options.

Thanks again Bit Monster.
I wish you the best in all you do and hope to see again when it comes time to transfer some data.
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:33 pm

unclesam wrote:i could offer enough space and traffic for this project, but i have a problem with the responsibility.
so if some can offer me a model with no responsibility for me, i would offer space/traffic for this great project.
Great Project... check.
Space and traffic... check. (sweet)
No responsibility for unclesam (lol) check.

So we would just need to register a domain name?
Point it to your place?
Out fit your space for/with the appropriate coding/programs for hosting a forum (phpbb)?
Port/transfer all the data from this forum to the new one?

unclesam how much space/traffic do you see a forum like this using?
And your up for doing it (reliably) for a year or two (for starters)?
Just wondering.

And folks... I'm no webmaster but I'm a pretty bright guy (I think we all are) and some of my words and jargon in terms of web talk and hosting etc might not be right.
So forgive me.
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:09 pm

registered domain... check

Domain...... eventghost.net

Create Date.... 01/18/2011

Exp. Date...... 01/18/2012

What next?
(we should have a plan)

The above domain name is ours for a year.
If anybody wants/needs access to it just let me know.
If anybody wants to tell me where to point/park/poke or transfer it... let me know.

My name is Ian and I may not show up to these forums daily but you can e-mail me at...
iwilson7(at)hotmail.com
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

abraxxa
Experienced User

Post by abraxxa » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:04 am

I could setup a github account for EventGhost and migrate the svn repo to it.

zian
Site Admin

Post by zian » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:26 am

abraxxa wrote:I could setup a github account for EventGhost and migrate the svn repo to it.
Is that something you could do as is... right now abraxxa?
No "keys" needed to this site?
If that is the case I'd say just do it.

but/and...
It sounds to me like Bit Monster would be happy if it all went back to SourceForge.

I myself have never heard of github (I'm no coder)
But I have been to SourceForge sometimes daily (I do like new/free/open software)
That's just my two cents abraxxa

Why github over SourceForge?
Just wondering.
eventghost.net
Be there or be square.

jitterjames
Experienced User

Post by jitterjames » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:42 am

github or source forge... I don't think it matters, both are well known. If someone is willing to do the work involved, I say go!

abraxxa
Experienced User

Post by abraxxa » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:02 am

Because i prefer git over subversion.
Github because it's free for public repositories and has some nice functions for forking and pulling a fork back in.
I can do it over the next few days, but the conversion from svn to git will take some time depending on the complexity of the repository (number of branches and commiters).